Lo Scarabeo Rider Waite Smith 2008 edition

Abrac

I finally found a picture of the 3 of Wands online that's big enough to see clearly. Look at PCS's initials on the LS, notice the dot below the S. Then look at the B & C antique scans of the same card, no dot. I agree it's an A. It's definitely not D.

If you think it's the R & L one then it might be. It was published in 2009, same year as US Games' Smith-Waite Centennial (also A - R & L backs). And as Ric mentioned earlier up in this thread, US Games also published the LS version, LS is just a distributor.

I really like the scans I've seen of this deck. I'd try to get one but I just can't get past those titles. :)

garmonbozia

It's defintely an "A". There is not a doubt in my mind.

I just looked at The Hanged Man, and noticed several line art differences between the LoS deck I have and the "B" and "C". It matches the "A" and the Original Rider Waite deck I have matches the "C", just as it did with The Sun.

I also looked at the signature on The Hierophant. The LoS deck matches the "A". And again, the US Games "Original Rider Waite" deck matches the "C".

I looked through all my RWS decks and I am pretty sure they are all "A"s except the Original Rider Waite:
- LoS Rider Waite Tarot (brown box)
- USG pocket edition, vintage regular size ed., Giant Rider
- PCS Commemorative
- University Books
- Merrimack

So that was a disappointing discovery. I think the only other one I have is the Zolar's, but I didn't feel like digging that one out. I expect it is also an "A".

Has a "B" or "D" deck ever been used for a modern printing?

garmonbozia

I really like the scans I've seen of this deck. I'd try to get one but I just can't get past those titles. :)

Had I known about the titles, I don't think I would have purchased it, to be quite honest.

I wonder if the earlier white box version is definitely the same thing as this current brown box version? It probably is. I'm just really confused because I really thought I heard someone tell me (and this someone really knows his stuff...usually) that LoS had a "Pam C" deck. Either he misspoke or I misheard.

I am curious about that LoS Tarocchi Rider Waite deck though. If it's just an Italian language version of the same thing, why is it nearly twice the price?

gregory

LoS certainly have a crackleback. Not sure which it is.

Ric said they are just a distributor for the brown-boxed one. So probably not the nicely coloured one with the blue box. I AM glad I have it :)

garmonbozia

gregory, is the white/blue box one also an "A"?

Philippe

I really thought I heard someone tell me (and this someone really knows his stuff...usually) that LoS had a "Pam C" deck. Either he misspoke or I misheard.

I am curious about that LoS Tarocchi Rider Waite deck though. If it's just an Italian language version of the same thing, why is it nearly twice the price?

There is indeed a "Pam C" with multilingual titles and a purple emperor on the backs.
As for the price I think there are a hardbox and a book accompanying the deck you mention.

Sulis

Do both boxes have the same ISBN number? I'd really like one of these.

garmonbozia

doh!

Thanks Abrac, totally forgot what I read.

garmonbozia

There is indeed a "Pam C" with multilingual titles and a purple emperor on the backs.

I've been trying to find an image, or anything, about this on the internet, with no luck. Is it still in print?