pros and cons of resin incense?

Moonbow

Thank you Millie :)

I love the Basilica smell and the charcoals did certainly light very quickly, no problem there. But..I set off my smoke alarms and had to ventilate the house to stop them. I couldn't smell the Basilica for the smoke. I must be doing something wrong.

I love the idea of burning resins, but if I need to do it near the cooker hood then all the goodness is going straight outside, while my house smells of smoke. I guess thinbuddha is right, there must be a knack. Will try the foil tip next Sulis.

I was all set for buying a burner (thanks for the tip Erisanne), but I smell of charcoal and Basilica and my house is smokey. Maybe the correct appliances make a difference but I admit I'm disappointed that the Basilica is going up in smoke and straight out of the cooker air vent. Cough cough.

Milfoil

Awwwww, bless. I'm sorry, yes it can be a bit smokey.

The charcoal needs to be lit and left till it has turned white and stopped smoking. The putting a tiny bit 1/4 of a teaspoon or less on the charcoal is the way to go.

:)

Moonbow

I've cracked it.... and please Millie... don't be sorry, I thank you very much for the Santa gift. :)

Foil is the answer, thanks Sulis. And Millie, you were right too, I put the resin on the charcoal too early. Now, I am very happy. I always liked the idea of resin incense but never felt the effort was worth result, until now. I can even smell it upstairs (the basilica that is, not the smoke. It was just trial and error.

Millie, I also like the site your recommended... http://www.simplyincense.co.uk/ I think I will order something from here for my Christmas list.

:)

Sophie

Sulis said:
To reduce the smoke put a piece of foil on top of the charcoal block when it's been lit and put the incense on top of that (that's my top tip :)).
That's really a top tip! I love the smoke when I'm working outdoors, but otherwise I find it overpowering, as does everyone else in the house!

I have been using frankincense, benzoin, myrrh and dragon's blood for years, I love them. I also use what's known as ponticfical incense in French-speaking countries - it's the one used in Roman churches - for certain purification work.

I'll have to try this Prinknash- prinnish. I shall when I get to anywhere with a reliable post office.

avalonian

Moonbow* said:
I tried resins about 4 years ago and posted here about it. I found there was a knack to lighting charcoal discs (not too much of a problem after trial), but I wasn't happy with the resins. At the time, the resins I could get my hands on were so strong they made me feel sick. I also found that the charcoal discs and resins needed constant attention, so I went back to incense sticks for ease and less attention.

If they've improved then I would try them again because I had no problem with lighting the disc, it was the resin that seemed 'artificial' to me.

Having said all that, I use aromatherapy oils more than anything.

You could try these:

http://www.touchfire.co.uk/page8/page8.html

His candles are wonderful as well.

:) :) :)

Moonbow

Thanks Millie, Sulis and avalonian.

I've been having some fun looking around these sites, I've ordered some incense, a burner and some coals. I really would like some of the Prinknash incense but the 1lb quantity seems a little too much to start off with. Basilica is really nice.

I also noticed from one of the sites that resin can be put into an aromatherapy burner, mixed with a little water, then a candle used instead of coals, so this is what I am using in the meantime.

Moonbow

Does anyone know what the other Prinknash incenses smell like, or have a recommendation. If I buy one, perhaps I could do a swap with someone?