Motherpeace Tarot - 00 The Fool

ehetep

Punchinella, I really liked reading your interpretation of the various elements of the fool card, and how it can relate to a preschool or grouping of children. Thats just how a new endeavor feels sometimes...all of the different aspects of it vying for attention, your fears as whether it will all work out, and the parts of you that don't know the "how" of it just yet,and you want to just jump in!

I agree with the lotus being the stability and the measure of control, the centering in the midst of the swirl of activity. Perhaps the "disconnect"of the vulture is an aspect of the consequences inherent in any new beginning or fresh idea. Although we make cursory thoughts about what may occur if we do a particular thing, often it's a simple kinda looking both ways quickly before crossing the street, without really delving in deep when childlike excitement catches hold of us. Knowing that we have life experience in that hobo pouch over our shoulder allows us to take chances, knowing quietly there is an unfolding of events that go into play for every choice. Some sacrifice somewhere will occur.

punchinella

ehetep said:
Knowing that we have life experience in that hobo pouch over our shoulder allows us to take chances,
Interesting. There is an aspect of bravery then in not opening up that pouch and pouring everything out and examining it at once . . .

Sorry for dwelling on the child care analogy, but in ECE courses we learn that a child actually learns to take risks because the adults around her provide an environment which is safe. If they fail, she may never learn to risk. So, that vulture (if adult it represents) is a pretty important part of this scenario.

I am also thinking about that pouch, and the fact that it is held by the child herself in what must be an extraordinarily uncomfortable position. She is the one holding it up, not anybody else. And she is going to great lengths to do so.

Motherpeace: A Way to the Goddess (which I acquired this weekend :| ) emphasizes reincarnation--a simple explanation for why she would be the one to do this. Because the life experiences are her own past lives. But some other explanations could be even more interesting . . . no?

ehetep

What I also think about seeing the eye on the pouch/bag, is that "Ever-Observing" aspect within that is wise and quiet. I've noticed it personally during times of great sadness, or disappointment..anything really internal where you are personally deeply affected in that moment... The part that observes you feeling the intense emotion, or maybe when you are supremely elated over something and it's the part of you that is very "stable", while your personality wants to attach all types of meaning to the event based on beliefs, emotions, or desires.

[[I am also thinking about that pouch, and the fact that it is held by the child herself in what must be an extraordinarily uncomfortable position. She is the one holding it up, not anybody else. ]]

Actually, it looks to me as if holding up the pouch is effortless for her.. She's completely turned herself upside down to cross a lake.. It reminds me of the hanged man in a way. All of the life experience is available and accessible should she need it, but in this moment she's going to have fun with trying out this new experience crossing the lake (The unconscious? With all it's established programming/shoulds/shouldn'ts?).

Pet Jeffery

The Lotus of the Motherpeace Fool

The lotus closes at night, and sinks underwater, to rise and open again in the morning. Probably for this reason, the Egyptians saw the flower as a symbol of the sun, creation and rebirth.

Rebirth puts me in mind of this (page 24 of Vicki Noble's Motherpeace book):

"The child is the symbol of the human soul that does not yet reflect upon itself, the spark of life that reincarnates again and again until it awakens to itself. Reincarnation is the secret key to the Fool, and the Fool is the secret key to the entire tarot."

Rebirth and reincarnation, while not the same as each other, are cognate conceptions. (And conception is very much to the point, here -- children are conceived.) Birth and rebirth are very much to the point of motherhood, which gives the Motherpeace the first half of its name. The lotus emerging and reemerging from the water puts me in mind of the child emerging from the amniotic fluid. In this, it seems to me, we come very close to the heart of Motherpeace: perhaps even Vicki Noble's "secret key to the entire tarot".

3Jane

The scene and symbolism (as I see it without referring to the book):

A kid is walking on her hands, in the direction of a stream. In the background, the Sun is setting behind the mountains (it's probably meant to be rising but because the land is coloured pink it makes me think of evening). There are a number of animals the picture: a companion cat (warning to be careful about stepping in the water), a crocodile (dangers of the environment) and a vulture (waiting to recycle the remains back into the great circle of life). In the stream blooms a water lily or a lotus (lotus being the symbol of spiritual beauty arising from a dirty, base source, perhaps not the best symbol for this Pagan deck). On the other side of the stream a couple of fly agaric mushrooms grow. When eaten, they can potentially induce hallucinations and visions, but are also apparently unreliable as to the amount of toxins contained (as some people joke, all mushrooms are edible but some are edible only once). The kid is carrying a sack with a peacock feather and a couple of bells attached. The peacock feather makes me think of showing off, and the bells – of morris dancing, and also of a means of attracting attention.

The story based on the scene above:

The kid is attempting to cross a river hoping to gather the mushrooms. She's doing it in a way noone else ever did: by walking on her hands! It's easier to grasp a slippery stone with a hand than a foot and that's why she's going to have no problems crossing the river. She thinks she's the first one to come up with this ingenious solution. Everyone, look at her, with her pretty bells and feathers!

The cat, being a domesticated and careful animal, is hesitant, holding her back, hoping to avoid the water – it does not like to go on adventures. A crocodile and a vulture wait to see if the kid slips off the stones. The lotus flower is a counterpoint to the crocodile and the vulture: out of rotted remains, a beautiful flower blooms – this is what became of some person who tried to cross before and failed. Nature consists both of beauty and danger, in balance. The mushrooms just sit there. They may be a prize or a trap and there's no way to know.

Some words and phrases have caught my attention when reading through the book:

Descriptions: unsophisticated, spontaneity, illogical, irrational, joyful, freedom, carefree, impulse, impractical, golden age, life breath.

Actions: let your kid emerge, do not worry or care, be willing to experience things, take a chance, risk something, trust the love of the universe.

Based on this, my keywords would be:
Positive: beginning, spontaneity, freedom, trust, simplicity
Negative: thoughtlessness, naivete, carelessness, foolish thrill seeking (as in Jackass)

Quotes I found on BrainyQuote that I thought were related:

I must learn to love the fool in me - the one who feels too much, talks too much, takes too many chances, wins sometimes and loses often, lacks self-control, loves and hates, hurts and gets hurt, promises and breaks promises, laughs and cries.
- Theodore Isaac Rubin

When in doubt, make a fool of yourself. There is a microscopically thin line between being brilliantly creative and acting like the most gigantic idiot on earth. So what the hell, leap.
- Cynthia Heimel

With age, you see people fail more. You see yourself fail more. How do you keep that fearlessness of a kid? You keep going. Luckily, I'm not afraid to make a fool of myself.
- Hugh Jackman

Grizabella

T
With age, you see people fail more. You see yourself fail more. How do you keep that fearlessness of a kid? You keep going. Luckily, I'm not afraid to make a fool of myself.
- Hugh Jackman

I have a nerve condition that's called peripheral neuropathy (no, I'm not diabetic) and I've been losing my balance a lot more lately. I do fall down sometimes even though I'm 69 years old almost and you'd think I'd break bones or something but so far I haven't. As a kid and into adulthood, I got hit and shoved around a lot and I just learned to fall like a stunt person, I guess. lol It's standing me in good stead now in not breaking anything so far.

It's interesting that one person sees this card as happening at dawn and another thinks of it as happening at dusk. I don't know which one I think it is. But the crocodile is just sure it's going to have a naked Fool for dinner (or breakfast) and the vulture is sitting there waiting to see if the crocodile leaves any tasty morsels he can glean when the reptile moves on.

3Jane

As a kid and into adulthood, I got hit and shoved around a lot and I just learned to fall like a stunt person, I guess. lol It's standing me in good stead now in not breaking anything so far.

I'm sorry to hear you're ill :( I had a friend who did Aikido and told me that their first two years were mostly filled with practising falling so that they wouldn't get hurt no matter which way they fell/were thrown. Looks like you did the same on your own: ninja skills!

It's interesting that one person sees this card as happening at dawn and another thinks of it as happening at dusk. I don't know which one I think it is.

I think light is very similar at dawn and at dusk... but I like to sleep so I don't see the dawn very often :)

...and now on to the second part of the Fool's report card.

3Jane

Career, Work and Finances

What does the card mean if you are searching for work?
It'll be your first job. Starting again in a new field. Starting a new business. Taking a course to get into a new field. Be optimistic and adventurous.

What does it tell you about your current work situation?
It's either your first job at all, or you're setting up in a new field. You're a trainee.

What career paths may be associated with the card?
Entrepreneur. Small scale investor. Test pilot. Explorer. Something risky, enjoyable and requiring a great deal of improvisation.

What does the card tell you about your financial situation?
No savings, no debt, no credit history, no plan, no worries!

Relationships and Love

What does the card mean if you are searching for love?
It'll be your first love, or love at the first sight. Look outside your normal circle of friends. Risk your heart, open yourself, don't plan and worry about the future.

In a relationship?
It's your first love, or you feel like it. You're not giving it much thought, just enjoying the journey. You trust your partner with everything.

Trying to fix a relationship?
As diagnosis: Someone is playing an eternal child role: exhibiting childish selfishness, letting the other person shoulder all the responsibility, thoughtless as to how their actions affect others.
As advice: you need to trust your partner more, and plan/worry less. Treat them as if this was your first date. Remind yourself of what it was in the beginning Try to fall in love all over again.

What does the card tell you about other types of relationships in your life (e.g. friends, family, colleagues, etc.)?
You're the newbie, the trainee, the child. You are allowed to try things out and have fun, letting others worry for you.

Spirituality

What is the deeper spiritual message or lesson of the card?
Trust the universe and your guides, whoever you think they are. Look at things with the innocence of a child to rediscover the joy of life.

What does this card tell you about your own spiritual journey?
You're starting out, or starting out again. You suddenly found your inspiration and are following your bliss. However, make sure you have a mentor – someone who knows where the dangers are and can do the worrying for you.

Wellbeing and Health

What does the card tell you about your general health and well-being?
You're either young, or you behave like you're young. You currently have no health problems, but you may develop some due to your careless behaviour.

What might be some specific health issues associated with the card? (Remember, though, that if you are not a health professional, do not give specific health advice, unless qualified.)
You need mental relaxation and physical activity. Ask if there is a possibility to participate in a trial of a new therapy.

Gwynydd

My turn!

A young girl, trying to cross the creek on her hands. She has new ideas on ways to do things and is confident in her own skills. The bag reminds me of the first day of kindergarten, primary school, university, etc. It just seems to be the 'done thing' to buy a new bag for a new phase of life, doesn't it? It ties in with the traditional Rider Waite Smith symbolism of having all the resources you will need in that bag. The eye on the front to me, means keeping your eyes open on your new adventure, being observant and proceeding with caution.

The lotus in the creek speaks to me of this being a time to bloom. The poisonous mushrooms point to potential for danger ahead, and I feel that the crocodile and vulture are ready and waiting to take advantage of the innocent being. Is the cat showing the girl an easier way to cross, eg, using the stones as stepping stones?

I see the sun rising, as in a new day, a new chapter in her life. Also, whether the artists intended to or not, it brings up feelings in me from my own upbringing; as young girls, we're taught not to expose our private parts, never have our legs apart (even clothed!), or be an exhibitionist in any perceived way. This girl is just going, 'woohoo! Who cares what anyone thinks!' and I really think this is a reminder that sometimes when we start something new, there's always someone to tell us our idea is stupid, dangerous or in some way wrong. Yet, we need to ignore those people (sometimes even our own inner voice), in order to move forward towards our dreams. Otherwise, we'd never get out there and do anything.