breakthrough! ... and questions ;)

MandMaud

After struggling to make ANY sense of ANY Lenormand reading, taking two steps seems to have cracked it for me!

1. Making my own table of not one but three lists of keywords - noun, verb, and adjective for each card;
2. Trying a 9-square instead of a 3- or 5-card straight line; my mind doesn't work in straight lines, so this kind of isn't surprising.

I feel I shouldn't have needed to get so explicit with the keywords, but it wasn't working otherwise. Now I can work less hard to read, say, tower+clouds as confusing authority', whereas I was doing something like 'authority of a lack-of-clarity kind' and getting nowhere. I used to be good at grammar! Never mind.

And it isn't the first time I've found I needed to bypass the beginner exercises, as it were, and step straight into the advanced stuff.

Anyway. This afternoon I tried my first 3x3 square and finally saw the astonishing accuracy that people talk about. :) It has left me with a couple of questions.

The question was about my kindle, which keeps bricking (getting its knickers in a twist and going into a sulk) and needing debricking (which I learnt how to do on the Mobileread forum, if anybody wants to know instead of returning their kindle to Amazon, but it is a certain amount of hassle).

Because I had to wait an hour during my son's tutorial and couldn't refer to the kindle (so guess why this question that came to mind!), I couldn't check I was doing the 3x3 correctly but I did set out my ground rules before beginning, and they felt logical/satisfactory. I went for left as past and right as future, below as unseen (unconscious) and above as known (obvious / on my mind); looked at the diagonals as developments/overview of the situation, and mirroring for the identity/nature of each card. I forgot to try knighting but will go back later and have a go at that. Those are all the techniques I know about yet.

How will it go with the kindle bricking?

mice . scythe . stork
clouds . snake . park
anchor . cross . lady

Very validating to see stork as "known future" because I've known for quite a while that I will have to replace the kindle sooner or later. Also clouds and mice sitting there in the past; and the whole top row, come to that.

The lowest line relates, I think, to the fact that this kindle was inherited when my mother died (I was against the idea because I'm anti-Amazon, but hey, this came free in a sense - and I use it non-stop now). This being at the unconscious level, I conclude that feeling bound to her has made me hesitate to take action towards buying a new e-reader.

The lady in future position: Someone here (Lee perhaps?) recently said that this would mean the events in the spread take place fairly quickly and the lady's future (mine, I suppose) is not to be seen, still "wide open". But I feel there's more to be understood from this card in this reading. I'm not sure she refers to me - especially as I relate her to my mother when mirroring with the anchor.

The snake: Deceit doesn't seem to work here at all. Can snake mean disappointment? (The French 'déception' means 'disappointment' which I'm aware of whenever I read the word.) Or something tortuous, ie twisty and serpentine, also lengthy - the steps I have to take to debrick the kindle when it sulks, or to decide what to do about it in the long run (I'm debating stepping from *non-smart phone + kindle + laptop* to *smartphone + tablet + detachable keyboard for longer typing*)?

ETA: The park in the future: "Society" or "the public" don't make much sense to me. Reading the future column would say: "She goes public with change" - or as pairs: "A public woman" or "sociable woman", and "changing society" maybe? I need help with the park too!

Suggestions welcome! :)

* My internet's behaving very badly tonight so I may not be able to respond until tomorrow. You're warned. *

MaryHeather

And it isn't the first time I've found I needed to bypass the beginner exercises, as it were, and step straight into the advanced stuff.

It took me 3 months of daily 3-card draws to figure out that for me, the noun is always in the middle (think like Yoda, I do). I spent a few months feeling completely inadequate until I figured that out. The only down side is now that I can actually read the cards, I've started buying more decks.

Sharla

After struggling to make ANY sense of ANY Lenormand reading, taking two steps seems to have cracked it for me!

1. Making my own table of not one but three lists of keywords - noun, verb, and adjective for each card;
2. Trying a 9-square instead of a 3- or 5-card straight line; my mind doesn't work in straight lines, so this kind of isn't surprising.

I feel I shouldn't have needed to get so explicit with the keywords, but it wasn't working otherwise. Now I can work less hard to read, say, tower+clouds as confusing authority', whereas I was doing something like 'authority of a lack-of-clarity kind' and getting nowhere. I used to be good at grammar! Never mind.

Anyway. This afternoon I tried my first 3x3 square and finally saw the astonishing accuracy that people talk about. :) It has left me with a couple of questions.

The question was about my kindle, which keeps bricking (getting its knickers in a twist and going into a sulk) and needing debricking (which I learnt how to do on the Mobileread forum, if anybody wants to know instead of returning their kindle to Amazon, but it is a certain amount of hassle).

Because I had to wait an hour during my son's tutorial and couldn't refer to the kindle (so guess why this question that came to mind!), I couldn't check I was doing the 3x3 correctly but I did set out my ground rules before beginning, and they felt logical/satisfactory. I went for left as past and right as future, below as unseen (unconscious) and above as known (obvious / on my mind); looked at the diagonals as developments/overview of the situation, and mirroring for the identity/nature of each card. I forgot to try knighting but will go back later and have a go at that. Those are all the techniques I know about yet.

How will it go with the kindle bricking?

mice . scythe . stork
clouds . snake . park
anchor . cross . lady

Very validating to see stork as "known future" because I've known for quite a while that I will have to replace the kindle sooner or later. Also clouds and mice sitting there in the past; and the whole top row, come to that.

The lowest line relates, I think, to the fact that this kindle was inherited when my mother died (I was against the idea because I'm anti-Amazon, but hey, this came free in a sense - and I use it non-stop now). This being at the unconscious level, I conclude that feeling bound to her has made me hesitate to take action towards buying a new e-reader.
I would say this too, something you don't want to let go of(anchor)because it was inherited (cross) by your mother(lady)
The lady in future position: Someone here (Lee perhaps?) recently said that this would mean the events in the spread take place fairly quickly and the lady's future (mine, I suppose) is not to be seen, still "wide open". But I feel there's more to be understood from this card in this reading. I'm not sure she refers to me - especially as I relate her to my mother when mirroring with the anchor.
Also in your present line you have scythe + snake + cross which i would interpret as breaking away (scythe) from the problems (snake) that are causing difficulties (cross)
The snake: Deceit doesn't seem to work here at all. Can snake mean disappointment? (The French 'déception' means 'disappointment' which I'm aware of whenever I read the word.) Or something tortuous, ie twisty and serpentine, also lengthy - the steps I have to take to debrick the kindle when it sulks, or to decide what to do about it in the long run (I'm debating stepping from *non-smart phone + kindle + laptop* to *smartphone + tablet + detachable keyboard for longer typing*)?
I would see snake as problems here, things not being straightforward, maybe even something that is hidden, and as snake is triggered by mice then this is problem caused by something wearing away i.e the tablet.
Suggestions welcome! :)

* My internet's behaving very badly tonight so I may not be able to respond until tomorrow. You're warned. *

Sharla

Mice knight with cross saying that this wearing away of the appliance will be costing you.

Seraphina

Thanks for sharing the MandMaud! I have to say I struggle a lot of the time to move forward with my readings, a simple, literal reading with 2 or 3 cards is about all I can manage, even after loads of study I was getting nowhere! I've never thought of doing it your way.... I'm going to add this to my journal and give it a go! Thanks :)

ETA... I had become disillusioned with Lenormand, hence why I hardly ever post here, I used to in the beginning of my learning, but I struggled, so kind of pushed it to one side and went back to using tarot more..but I'm always checking out this forum... Just cannot help it! Lol

MandMaud

Also in your present line you have scythe + snake + cross which i would interpret as breaking away (scythe) from the problems (snake) that are causing difficulties (cross)
Yes, I see that.

I would see snake as problems here, things not being straightforward, maybe even something that is hidden, and as snake is triggered by mice then this is problem caused by something wearing away i.e the tablet.
OK... so if snake is problems, how does that differ from clouds or mice or mountain? I do see differences of nuance between these, but I've been seeing snake more strictly as "hidden" - I mean things being deliberately concealed or misrepresented, rather than just things not going right.

Triggered by - is this a way of reading diagonals?

Mice knight with cross saying that this wearing away of the appliance will be costing you.

I forgot to go back and try out knighting. Are you reading them as a pair, just as if they had landed next to each other, or do you take another slant when they knight each other - or are diagonal?

MandMaud

Thanks for sharing the MandMaud! I have to say I struggle a lot of the time to move forward with my readings, a simple, literal reading with 2 or 3 cards is about all I can manage, even after loads of study I was getting nowhere! I've never thought of doing it your way.... I'm going to add this to my journal and give it a go! Thanks :)

ETA... I had become disillusioned with Lenormand, hence why I hardly ever post here, I used to in the beginning of my learning, but I struggled, so kind of pushed it to one side and went back to using tarot more..but I'm always checking out this forum... Just cannot help it! Lol
It is drawing you back... :D
Glad my ideas are helpful!

MandMaud

Does anyone else see a "new woman" appearing soon? Someone I haven't yet met, who could be influential in this? I can't imagine how but I keep thinking it's in these cards...

Oh, and I forgot to ask about the park in the future, which I really can't understand. So that's three cards here that baffle me, although with so many permutations within the square, I feel I've got more information than confusion out of this. I have added the park question to my first post.