The Tetragrammaton

Fulgour

PRS Gallery

By arranging the four letters of the Great Name, (I H V H),
in the form of the Pythagorean Tetractys, the 72 powers
of the Great Name of God are manifested.

:eek: = I = 10 = 10
:joke: :eek: = H I = 5+10 = 15
:laugh: :joke: :eek: = V H I = 6+5+10 = 21
:joke: :laugh: :joke: :eek: = H V H I = 5+6=5+10 = 26

The Great Name of God = 72

PRS Galleries

Rusty Neon

I presume that the 72 powers are 72 angels. Does anyone know if any or all of those 72 angels are fallen angels?

Thanks.

Fulgour

Rusty Neon said:
Does anyone know if any or all of those 72 angels are fallen angels?
Define: Angels. Define: Fallen.

:joke: thanks!

Ravenswing

some elaboration please...

how is it that the 72 names are manifested ? :confused:

I see the triangular number 4 , in which the gematric values of its members total to 72. Could you please explain the process of obtaining the names from this?

fly well
Raven

Fulgour

There are so many interesting references over at PRS that
I was hoping to begin a general discussion on one of them.
As for the number 72, here is an interesting perspective:

The Symbolism and Spiritual Significance of the NUMBER 72
by Dee Finney

Simone

I have stumbled over this thread as I normally don't wander the realms of Tarot History & Iconography.

I have the address of a website where they talk about the 72 angels.

The site is canadian and therefore originally in French, but they also have an English translation. I do not know if it is relevant for these discussions, but I thought I would share it for what it's worth! :)

Love
Simone

jmd

Thanks Simone.

I have at times seen various renditions or versions of the 72 Angelic names, which are also distinct, by the way, from the 72 names of God.

According to the site you link to, the 72 Angelic names are the following (I have used their own numeration):
  • 01. Vehuiah
    02. Jeliel
    03. Sitael
    04. Elemiah
    05. Mahasiah
    06. Lelahel
    07. Achaiah
    08. Cahetel
    09. Haziel
    10. Aladiah
    11. Lauviah
    12. Hahaiah
    13. Iezalel
    14. Mebahel
    15. Hariel
    16. Hekamiah
    17. Lauviah
    18. Caliel
    19. Leuviah
    20. Pahaliah
    21. Nelkhael
    22. Yeiayel
    23. Melahel
    24. Haheuiah
    25. Nith-Haiah
    26. Haaiah
    27. Yerathel
    28. Seheiah
    29. Reiyel
    30. Omael
    31. Lecabel
    32. Vasariah
    33. Yehuiah
    34. Lehahiah
    35. Chavakhiah
    36. Menadel
    37. Aniel
    38. Haamiah
    39. Rehael
    40. Ieiazel
    41. Hahahel
    42. Mikael
    43. Veuliah
    44. Yelahiah
    45. Sealiah
    46. Ariel
    47. Asaliah
    48. Mihael
    49. Vehuel
    50. Daniel
    51. Hahasiah
    52. Imamiah
    53. Nanael
    54. Nithael
    55. Mebahiah
    56. Poyel
    57. Nemamiah
    58. Yeialel
    59. Harahel
    60. Mitzrael
    61. Umabel
    62. Iahhel
    63. Anauel
    64. Mehiel
    65. Damabiah
    66. Manakel
    67. Eyael
    68. Habuhiah
    69. Rochel
    70. Jabamiah
    71. Haiaiel
    72. Mumiah
What is fascinating are the various ways the '72' has been used to refer to the Names of God.

Some make more sense out of this by referring not to 72 names, but rather to God's name in 72 letters (for an example of this, see this beautiful rendition).

Some also mention that the seventy-two names refer to permutations of the tetragrammaton - which, strictly speaking, it isn't, as there are only 12 permutations of YHVH.

When the name is placed as a Tetractys, however (and as pointed out in Fulgour's opening post), the added values of the letters used from the tetragrammaton do in fact add to 72:
  • Y (=10)
    YH (10 + 5 = 15)
    YHV (10 + 5 + 6 = 21)
    (interesting in terms of Tarot too, by the way, as all the differing letters add to 21, yet another remains)
    YHVH (10 + 5 + 6 + 5 = 26)

(total value: 10 + 15 + 21 + 26 = 72)​
So in some ways, one may describe the 'permutations', or rather, tetractial descent, of the Godhead as forming 72.

In the Torah are also places where important divisions of the text into 72 sections may be found.

Personally, I would consider two aspects of high importance relative our work. The first is the tetractial form and the Tetragrammaton, and the second the 72-lettered name...

The 72 Angelic names are also, of course, of great import - and each messenger may highlight certain spiritual forces at work.

Another point to note is the very name by which God says he is to be known by henceforth, and by which he will be recognised: AHIH AShR AHIH (normally translated as 'I am that I am'). The number of different letters used in each word is 3, 3, 3; the total number of differing letters is only 5; there a a total of 11 letters (the number on the Tree of Life + Da'at) - but that possibly belongs to another thread...

Macavity

Readers with a little knowledge of the Hebrew alphabet, access to PDF and patience(!), might enjoy this paper by Uri Raz. With a little application, you can actually SEE how the derivation of the names works from the Bible... version originale ;)

http://www.tarot.org.il/English/72.pdf (Direct link to 20pps PDF)

Also included are (G.D.) divinatory meanings and Sigils! But I found this useful, 'cos I wanted to understand (one of many) correspondences on my DuQuette "Ceremonial Magick" a bit better! :D

Macavity

Agape

fallen angels

The 72 fallen angels are to be found in the goetia (clavicula salomonis), one of the books of Lemegetton. These could be regarded as the angels of the qliphotic schemhamphorash.

Moongold

Thanks Macavity!