Connecting to Thoth deck

Barleywine

I agree with the sentiment, not with the reasons for it. Leo may be "Lust," but it is a very specific kind of lust, and relates in a very specific way to its position on the Tree. This kind of Lust is only possible when directed, and the only viable direction is True Will. The ecstasy shown is K&C, only possible through rigorous discipline in performing one's Will, but only that and nothing else. The Book of Law mentions "strange drugs and wines that foam," but only in service of Will. Debauchery isn't what Lust is, since ecstasy must be directed, otherwise you're just a drunk junkie with STDs.

The difference is that in Strength, the Will is in service of some deity,according to old Aeon thinking, and so natural impulses are suppressed. Lust says that because "every man and every woman is a star," the "deity," if it can be called that, of each person is their own Will. It actually demands far more discipline and responsibility, because when worshipping a deity your personal responsibility is a moot point, and your reward for following the rules is assured.

For me, the key concepts have always been "thou hast no right but to do thy will" and "pure will, unassuaged of purpose, delivered from the lust of result, is every way perfect." As you say, it is a different kind of Lust. Looking beneath the gloriously lustful language, I see no hint of debased appetites in the inner meaning here ("But always unto me!"). The suppression of natural impulses is reserved for those who fail, who are sorry or who hold fear in their hearts (2:46); in other words, those who are compelled by the guilt syndrome of so many exoteric religions.

Barleywine

Who spoke about Debauchery or junkies ? I agree. Will is Leo's basic point. "Father Your will must be done, not mine" says the christian script. Leo is also the Higher Self in that meaning, our inner solar child, but the Christianity as organised Church has nothing to do with Leo's solar quality, but with hate for life, repression and gulit. Lust (Dionysus) is ecstasy, healthy passion and hapiness. They made us to feel guilty for these healthy things.

It might be argued (and it has been) that all religions are solar religions since they all hark back to primordial Man's utter dependence on the Sun as the sustainer of life. The whole "resurrection" thing is nothing more than an analogy for the return of the Sun to the northern hemisphere each Spring.

ravenest

It might be argued the opposite. Or at least, not true in all cases.

Scholars consider the Old Kingdom (Egypt) to have had Stella based religion, Middle Kingdom to be Lunar based but not until the New Kingdom did it become Solar based. Probably from an outside influence ?

Then Sol Invictus took over and spread pretty much wherever the Roman legions went.

of course, what you say is true as well, Solar cults have existed all over the place ... it is an obvious connection.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sol_Invictus

Barleywine

It might be argued the opposite. Or at least, not true in all cases.

Scholars consider the Old Kingdom (Egypt) to have had Stella based religion, Middle Kingdom to be Lunar based but not until the New Kingdom did it become Solar based. Probably from an outside influence ?

Then Sol Invictus took over and spread pretty much wherever the Roman legions went.

of course, what you say is true as well, Solar cults have existed all over the place ... it is an obvious connection.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sol_Invictus

OK, I'm up for a bit of hair-splitting! :D I was mainly referring to primitive European religions that experienced extreme seasonal shifts (but the Osiris myth has the "dying god" element too). There have been other Lunar cults as well. It's also probable that equatorial religions had no use for the solar "death-and-resurrection" model. My wife has been listening to Santos Bonacci and his "astro-theology" theories, and some of it has been rubbing off on me.