DIY project with the FO deck

darkbookworm13

I was reading a thread on The Talking Tarot thread about gilding the edges of their tarot decks. They suggested using a product called Rub-n-Buff, or a metallic ink pad commonly used for crafts or scrapbooking.

This sparked my mind to imagine gilding the edges of my Faeries deck, and the thought rolled around in my head all night long. I keep envisioning a rich, old gold color gilt and it is really appealing to me, so much so that I have been browsing the internet to price the supplies to complete this project.

Has anyone else considered something like this?

DragonFae

I would be scared to (in case I didn't like it)....but that's just me.

darkbookworm13

I would be scared to (in case I didn't like it)....but that's just me.

I can understand that, I haven't gotten to try out any edging for the FO deck yet, still nervous about doing it, I just got so inspired looking at some of the DIY stuff here for Tarot decks, that I want to test it out on the FO deck. I think an antique gold, or a warm copper would look so pretty with the warm browns and yellows of the backs.

FLizarraga

If this is your first edging/gilding project, I wouldn't go for the Rub-n-Buff; it's beautiful, but kind of tricky to apply. (Plus it needs to be used in a well-ventilated area.)

Much easier alternatives are:

1) Tim Holtz Distress Inks. They come in pads and markers, and both are equally easy to use. If you want a goldish look for the FO, I'd suggest Mustard Seed or (preferably) Wild Honey.

They also come in what's called "stains," which are also easier to use than the Rub-n-Buff but not as easy as the pads and markers. They have 3 metallic ones, not very shiny but really nice: Brushed Pewter, Tarnished Brass and Antiqued Bronze.

2) Tsukineko Brilliance. They come in pads of different sizes. They are a tad messier than the TH Distress inks, but they dry more slowly so they can be cleaned up, and better yet, the ink does not stick to laminated surfaces at all. They have a nice golden shade, Galaxy Gold, and a couple of copper shades that are to DIE for.

3) Sharpies. The metallic ones are very nice --gold, silver, bronze, and a rosy copper. They are not as easy to work with, though, and you have to rub them off right away if you mess up, or it'll stay. But they are workable, if you are careful and have a steady hand.

I'm sure our inventive AT folks will chip in with more ideas. In any case, have fun!

darkbookworm13

I picked up a set of metallic sharpies in the colors you mentioned, but the gold was too crusty to use. I am setting my sights on one of the Tsukineko Brilliance ink pads, since the metallic look is really what I am going for.

Thank you, I have been perusing as many threads about DIY edging as I can find in order to learn the ins and outs of this project.

While waiting to work on my FO deck, I spent last night trimming and rounding the corners on my Wildwood tarot, and today has been spent edging the cards in a green sharpie. This has inspired me to try out other colors fir the FO deck instead of only gold.

I haven't gotten any Rub N Buff yet, thank you for the tip about the odors. My husband gets migraines really easily with chemical smells, and that excludes me being able to use that product until the weather clears up more, and I can work in my parent's barn.

jolie_amethyst

Rub n Buff is awesome to use on plastics, metals, wood, etc. But paper? I've never gotten high quality results using it on anything paper-based. And yes, you must have a ton of ventilation when using it, as it has a strong solvent odor.

Brilliance, on the other hand, was designed for paper artists. It dries by absorption rather than evaporation, so as FLizarraga mentioned, if you get it on the laminated surfaces, you should be able to just wipe it off (you'll have to, because it will just never dry on a non absorbent surface). It's great stuff, I've used it for years.

I don't yet have my Fairies, but fingers crossed some come to live with me in the next week or two, and I think I'll plan on pulling out my Brilliance pads whenever they arrive. From all I've read, I suspect they're going to want the added bling. :D

FLizarraga

I thought I would post this. I wasn't sure if I wanted a metallic look for my Froud, so I went for Tim Holtz's Mustard Seed instead. One can always gild on top of it.

I sort of like it, and find it goes reasonably well with both Faeries' Oracle and Heart of Faerie. You guys be the judge of it.

Attachments

• Froud Two.jpg
    Froud Two.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 341
  • Froud One.jpg
    Froud One.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 326
  • Froud Three.jpg
    Froud Three.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 323

jolie_amethyst

I thought I would post this. I wasn't sure if I wanted a metallic look for my Froud, so I went for Tim Holtz's Mustard Seed instead. One can always gild on top of it.

I sort of like it, and find it goes reasonably well with both Faeries' Oracle and Heart of Faerie. You guys be the judge of it.

I like it! Just a nice, mellow edging.

FLizarraga

I like it! Just a nice, mellow edging.

Thanks! It's actually brighter than it looks on the pics. But "mellow" does describe the color to a T, the mellow gold of an autumn leaf.

darkbookworm13

I love the golden yellow you used in the pictures, it looks so rich. I will have to try out an ink pad instead of a sharpie, the sharpie was unsuccessful in edging well at all. I will save them for future art projects that allow me to write with the very tip, instead of using the side of the point. That made the ink less effective overall.

Thank you everyone for your input, I love seeing how everyone customizes the FO, and the HoF deck. I loved how the two decks looked together, I might combine the two again, and try to work with them together. I tried to combine them once before, but got a very strong gut feeling that I shouldn't. Now I think it is time to try again. :D