Enchanted Oracle

Allure

Fairy imagery by artist Jessica Galbreth and companion book by author Barbara Moore.

A 36-card oracle featuring Fairies, Goddesses, and Sorceresses. It comes with a silver pouch & fairy pendant that can be used as a pendulum. The guidebook includes, spells, prayers, and journaling tips.

http://www.enchanted-art.com/catalog.php?category=86

HearthCricket

I just recently purchased this and I am "Enchanted" with it. While most of it is like looking at her cards, statues or mousepads, I happen to love her work and the idea of having it turned into an oracle. The best thing is that I did a reading with it, and it was incredibly accurate to a situation happening right now in my life that means some major changes and adjustments. I want to do another, now that several days have passed and see what happens.

My only complaint is I am finding it somewhat limiting. I think she could have put out some new artwork to complete the oracle a bit more so. For example, she has a card for Yule and Samhain, but none of the other sabbats. What happened to them? Surely she could have assigned some work of art to these, as well, and do the whole Wheel of the Year, like they did in the Well Worn Path, Fairy Ring Oracle, etc. But it does make for a nice Halloween gift! Maybe...(hoping someone is listening in) they can have her do a second one to add to it, and add all the other holidays, as well as more cards. Sort of like they did with the Hidden Path/Well Worn Path. One can only hope! But I am pleased with it!

Cerulean

I agree it's an open-ended oracle...

For some, the Green Man or Green Woman might both suggest spring, the Autumn Splendor might be the Autumn Equinox. There are different times throughout the year that a meditation upon some of the elements seem predominant...and which card to choose might prove to be a bit of a challenge.

My guess is making an oracle set of the popular designs of the artist needed to be woven together with words. The book credits Barbara Moore working with the artist to have this become an oracle.... Sometimes when I look at the cards--say those relating to the element of water...I wonder if making the meanings and titles different enough was a bit of a challenge.

I think the writer had to in some cases had to do quite a bit of thought to assign a different title and description to convey nuances in the mood. The art is gorgeous--but Night Queen and Gothique just by the look might have been interchanged titles...I found myself and my husband on first look has to notice the subtle difference in the wings of the Dragoness to figure out why she is different... and know the moth/rose of Gothic Rose and the lighter coloring of the roses for Gypsy Rose have quite different symbolism.

I showed my husband the art because I quite liked the images and asked what he saw in terms of the art--he saw first there were mostly women figures and that the artist liked to do over-the-shoulder glancing poses.

I'm glad to hear the cards were insightful...I'm admiring the art, but haven't figured out if they are 'alter art' or might be useful for seasonal times for 'what's coming ahead.' The nice gauze bag and hmmm--silvery-sparkle pendent (which I'll use as a bookmark) and the substantial softcover book makes it seem like a worthwhile oracle deck.

We saw it at Barnes and Noble and I had a coupon...so felt this was worth it.

Best wishes,

Cerulean

NorthernTigress

I "rescued" this set from a local used bookstore. I find the artwork to be both beautiful and compelling.

The book however, bothers me. I've just started looking at it, but my first impression is that it is trying to do too much. The author starts out by saying that "most people use an oracle as a fortune-telling device." Well yes, of course. That's what the word ORACLE means. She then goes on to say how one can use the cards, along with various other 'things', to "create your own enchanted world".

The book talks about the images, their meanings and their "oracle messages", which is great. But the book also talks about how to use a pendulum, how to use cards for guided-imagery meditations, how to give thanks to the Divine. Spells, Enchantments, the list goes on and on.

It's just too, too much.

I'll just pick and choose for now; maybe I'll grow into it.

faunabay

I haven't gotten this deck mostly because it reminded me so heavily of the Amy Brown deck. Which, while it was beautiful, was just like looking at her artwork.....not an oracle deck. This one seems to be on the same path as the Amy Brown.......I kind of feel like some marketing person saw how well the Amy Brown deck sold at first and decided to do the same with Jessica Galbreath. (shrug) And while I like Jessica's artwork I doubt I'll get this deck. Of course I probably could be talked into it if others really loved it!! :p

Astraea Aurora

These cards arrived yesterday and I want to say how much I like them. Usually I'm not into faeries and the like but I found Jessica Galbreth's art to be inspiring so it feels nice to hold her art in my hands. I hope it will continue to give good, calming advice like it already did twice. :D

What I found a bit confusing was the "incompleteness" - as if the circle hasn't been gone fully. Like Cerulean and HearthCricket said, additional cards for the rest of the Sabbats would have been nice. Also there is a card titled "Mother Earth" and one titled "Maiden Moon" - but there is no card for the Crone!

Hopefully someone from Llewellyn will read this thread and do something about it. Like they did with the Well Worn Path and Hidden Path. :)

Astraea Aurora :grin:

Jewel

faunabay said:
I haven't gotten this deck mostly because it reminded me so heavily of the Amy Brown deck. Which, while it was beautiful, was just like looking at her artwork.....not an oracle deck. This one seems to be on the same path as the Amy Brown.......I kind of feel like some marketing person saw how well the Amy Brown deck sold at first and decided to do the same with Jessica Galbreath. (shrug) And while I like Jessica's artwork I doubt I'll get this deck. Of course I probably could be talked into it if others really loved it!! :p
~chuckles~ me too! I do look forward to reading more opnions on this deck.

Silverlyn

Hey: I just ordered this deck and may have it waiting for me when I get home.

I recognized some of the cards as from those that were featured in the "A Knock At The Door' Video. YAY!:)

I've heard that the book and the silver bag that comes with it is also really nice, is that true?

I figure if this deck isn't very 'functional' I will find other creative uses for the deck like as bookmarks or to use as whimsical gift cards or something.

I'll post a review maybe as soon as tonight!:)

Silverlyn

Chronata

yeah, Iwould love to know more about this one too.

I prefer her fairies to those of Amy Brown, so I would be more inclined to pick this one up...but only if it's a well-balanced oracle.

I like to have the bad with the good...if you know what I mean?

I look forward to your review, Silverlyn

Myrrha

I finally got this oracle deck and really like it so far. I love Jessical Galbreth's artwork and am pretty familiar with it so I'm probably biased to like the deck.

One of the things I love about Jessica Galbreth's art is her portrayal of darker energies in an accepting way. For example she wrote a poem to go with the painting Dark Enchantment (you can find it by googling "galbreth art poem enchantment") that talks about a dark path with dark not meaning bad or evil. The book to the Enchanted Oracle doesn't always agree with this though and the Dark Enchantment card has been given a negative meaning in the deck.

The meaning for the Dragoness card seemed a bit off in this way as well. Power does not equal predation. The faerie in this card looks bizarre and different (look closely at her shape) but that doesn't make her bad. One painting has been re-titled in order to support a more negative meaning (Temptation) so I don't think it is an overly positive deck.

Barbara Moore's interpretations for most of the cards are thoughtful and useful. I especially liked her take on Tattered Dreams, Gypsy Rose and Silver Moon Fairy. Many of the meanings are practical. For example for Green Woman she talks about earth energy and the basic meaning is to finish something you've started. The basic meaning for the Silver Moon Fairy card is that this is a time to keep your plans and thoughts secret while you examine them and seek guidance within rather than from other people.

The images don't seem to me to look too much the same (but I might be biased in this regard as I like JG's artwork so much). Several cards show faeries/women in long dresses with roses but each one has a very different feeling.