Pokemon World Deck

stardusting

Greetings forumgoer!

Today I began research for a project I don't have any idea when or if I will actually complete.

I want to state that up front before I am told that this is too ambitious, etc, as a first go. The intention here is to immerse myself in a world I love deeply, but am slowly losing interest in due to inability to experience it.

That aside!

My project is this: create a symbology deck of cards for Pokemon species, as well as notable artefacts, & locations for use in study, divination, and personal enjoyment. I have not yet committed 100% to deciding whether or not specific human characters from the world will be featured or not.

I intend to approach this project with a sense of gravity. Therefore, if I did include human characters, I would be unlikely to include characters like Jessie & James from Team Rocket. However, I might select N Harmonia, who has a more thoughtful & moving persona and history. Essentially, they would need to have enough depth of meaning to be a symbol inaddition to, or even before, being a person. It also applies to my choice of Pokemon or artefacts. Arceus & the Spear Pillar are rooted in the mythology of the Pokemon world's creation. Pokeballs, on the other hand, are not and won't be featured.

Thus, not every Pokemon, location, or item will be featured. I will select them based on personal inspiration from their canon history/information.

As proof of concept, tonight I have gone through all of the 'Legendary' Pokemon and laid out some preliminary basics for them. I already discovered, to my surprise, that more than a few of these will likely NOT feature in the set - I had assumed every Legendary would be worthy of a spot, but many are very bland or are uninteresting pieces of larger concepts dominated by another figure.

Planned for inclusion (each line is its own card, the link provided is the most current attempt at that card)

Legendary Pokemon:
Arceus
Dialga
Palkia
Giratina
Uxie
Mesprit
Azelf https://41.media.tumblr.com/cbe2dc302d8f9053b9b5ad228e6f6676/tumblr_njl2pbKBrE1unatmjo1_540.png
Rayquaza
Groudon
Kyogre
Latios & Latias
Mew
Mewtwo, Deoxys, & Genosect
Celebi
Regigigas
Regirock, Regice, Registeel
Lugia
Ho-Oh
Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres
Raikou
Entei
Suicune
Cresselia
Darkrai
Victini
Cobalion
Terrakion
Verizion
Keldeo
Tornadus (Therian)
Thundurus (Therian)
Landorus (Therian)
Xerneas https://40.media.tumblr.com/a895bcccbd3750f7785a2f47606ff7e1/tumblr_njl82sSsxu1unatmjo2_r1_500.png
Yveltal
Zygarde
Mega Diancie
Kyurem
Reshiram
Zekrom
Unown
Jirachi

Items for consideration:
Gracidae Flower
Red & Blue Orbs
Jewel of Life
18 Elemental (Type) Plates
Reveal Glass?

Non-Legendaries for consideration:
Ninetales
Braviary
Clefable & Gengar
Hypno
Cubone, Kangaskan?
Eevee [Vaporeon, Flareon, Jolteon, Sylveon, Leafeon, Glaceon, Umbreon, Espeon]
Murkrow
Houndoom
Gardevoir & Gallade
Shedinja
Zangoose & Seviper
Lunatone & Solrock
Feebas & Milotic
Banette
Absol
Riolu & Lucario
Dusknoir
Rotom
Froslass
Yamask
Zoroark
Sawsbuck
Litwick, Lampent, & Chandelure
Golurk
Bisharp & Pawniard
Honegde, Duoblade, & Aegislash
Tyrantrum
Phantump & Trevenent
Noibat & Noivern
Flygon
Cacturne
Altaria

Consider studying:
Galvantula
Xatu
Delibird
Skarmory
Breloom
Salamence
Metagross
Luxray
Roserade
Vespiquen
Mismagius
Bronzor & Bronzong
Spiritomb
Serperior
Samurott
Liepard
Leavanny
Reuniclus
Elgyem & Beheeyem
Mienshao
Haxorus
Fennekin, Braixen, & Delphox
Froakie, Frogadier, & Greninja
Pangoro
Dragalge
Heliolisk
Pumpkaboo
Tyranitar
Mighteyena
Beautifly
Dragonair
Dragonite
Arcanine

Potential human inclusions:
Lysandre
The Seven Sages
Ghetsis
N Harmonia
Sir Aaron
Team Magma & Team Aqua (concept)
Team Plasma (concept)
Team Galactic (concept)
Team Rocket (concept)

Tomorrow, I will post what brief info I have gathered on the Legendaries to be included so far. All other Pokemon included on this list were chosen based on memory of a specific piece of information interesting about them (usually derived from a Pokedex entry) which would make them an intriguing symbol in this project.

And yes, should this deck ever be completed or Arceus-willing, PRINTED, it would require extensive knowledge of Pokemon species canon to use fully. I hope that anyone who follows this project thus learns the scope of the Pokemon world itself, as it has so much more than a 'catch 'em all' franchise to offer.

Are you a Pokemon lore professor? Suggest species, items, characters, & locations for inclusion!

Alternatively, do you actually know something about making tarot decks? I'd like to work in an art size that would not need to be resized in the event I chose to print even some of the cards for fun. Please leave advice on common printing sites & sizes.

Thank you!
Star

PS: Here is some examples of previous art I have done of Pokemon:
http://th00.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/f/2015/020/2/9/hope_for_revenge_by_kikyuu-d8eqmka.png
http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2...awn___latios_and_latias_by_kikyuu-d843c75.png

However, I'd like to try developing a more stylistic approach for this set. At the moment I am thinking of something like stained glass illustration.

gregory

One thing you will need to think about is copyright. Using anything from the actual game - including character names - will leave you liable to a lawsuit, unless you have permission from the game owners/copyright holders. Which will cost.

See under Lord of the Rings, Hello Kitty, My Little Pony etc. Many have longed to do these things.

For sizes and soon - have a look at thegamecrafter.com - where you can very easily self-publish; they have standard card sizes. As does printerstudio, but I can't immediately be sure of the link.

Good luck in principle; I do wonder whether you can actually legally do this. Fanart DOES count, when people decided to sue.

Lareia

There appears to be a Pokemon tarot, actually. It doesn't look like what you're planning to do though.

It's available through their shop currently, so it doesn't seem like copyright holders have a problem with it. You should probably double check that, though.

reall

like pokemon and idea!^^ hope you make it!^^ :))) not sure would this be tarot or oracle?
there is few pokemon themed deck but mostly pokemon/no humans and rarely items!^^ ;)))

stardusting

With Pokemon, you can actually get away with a lot. I've yet to hear of anyone being challenged by Game Freak/Nintendo/etc for any Pokemon fanart. I think there might be a few online Pokemon "MMORPGs" that have been C&D'd, but that's it.

Hasbro watches Ponies very closely - which is a shame, I liked a lot of the Equestria Tarot. The pips were just okay to me, but the major Arcana were neat. As far as Transformers merch, they're more concerned about third-party figures.

That said, I have not yet decided on a naming scheme for the cards. Obviously the likeness of the Pokemon would still be used, but there's a reasonable chance I won't include their actual names. I also think the likely hood that I would sell the deck is very low. The farthest it will be going is printing a personal copy.

Tarot or Oracle: I am open to either, and intend to see how many concepts for cards I have as well as their relationship to the Rider-Waite scheme before I decide whether to fit this to the Tarot format, or allow it to be an 'in-universe' oracle from their world.

Thank you for the responses, and I look forward to sharing more with all of you! Here is some skeletal research on some of the included Legendaries:

Arceus
"the Original One", creator of the universe
"born of an egg, floating in chaos"
(1)Awakes (2)creates time & space, setting Dialga & Palkia as guardians over respective (3)creates spirit, giving charge Uxie (knowledge), Mesprit (emotion), & Azelf (willpower)
Bearer of 18 elemental Plates, allowing it to change its typing

Dialga
Time
Posessive of its domain

Palkia
Space
Possessive of its domain

Giratina
Antimatter (balances out existence in the Reverse World, alone & forgotten by all)
Trapped in world that can be damaged by conflict in ours
Two formes: Altered (how appears in our world), Origin (how appears in Reverse world)

Uxie
"Spirit of Conciousness" Combined with the others, it can tame Dialga, Palkia, & Giratina
Knowledge
If you see its eyes, your memory will be erased.
"wisdom, mirror, sun"

Mesprit
"Spirit of Conciousness" Combined with the others, it can tame Dialga, Palkia, & Giratina
Emotion
If you touch it, you lose your ability to feel emotions.
"benevolence, jewel, moon"

Azelf
Willpower
If you injure it, you will fall into a deep apathy.
"valor, sword, stars"

Rayquaza
Dominion over sky
Peace between sea & land
Flies through the upper atmosphere endlessly

Groudon
Dominion over earth, magma.
When awake, always in conflict with Kyogre.
Sleeps deep within the Earth.

Kyogre
Dominion over sea, storms.
When awake, always in conflict with Groudon.
Sleeps deep under the oceans.

Latios & Latias
Defenders, protectors, devoted siblings
Associated heavily with "Eon" motif

Mew
Genetic ancestor of all known [scientifically] Pokemon
Playful, but highly capable, friendly
Adaptable, able to learn virtually every "move"

Mewtwo, Deoxys, & Genosect
All three created and "improved" by science.
(Mewtwo -> genetic clone of Mew, experimented and controlled by Team Rocket, wanted to be independent, deep thinking, 'personhood vs slavery')
(Deoxys -> "space virus" which mutated when hit with a lazer, lonely, missed its friends)
(Genesect -> improvement (possibly of Kabutops?) on fossilized species created by Team plasma [organization falsely claiming they are for liberation of all Pokemon, actually wanted to be the only ones with the weapons to take over the world], scared, vicious when cornered, pack animal)

Celebi
Nature spirit, shrines in Ilex Forest
Capable of time travel -> sense that nature is timeless
Purity

Regigigas
Moved continents to present locations with ropes
Created Regirock, Regice, & Registeel in its own image
Sealed away by ancients in Snowpoint Temple out of fear, in hopes someday someone would "tame" it
Awakened by the presence of its three creations

Regirock, Regice, Registeel
Created from clay, ice, and magma.
Sealed away by ancients from far away region out of fear.
Awakened through complex puzzle solving

Lugia
"Guardian of Seas"
Silver
Once resided on top of Brass Tower, until it burned to the ground, which moved it to finding a reclusive home
Lives deep in Whirl Islands' oceans (Inaccessible due to bad weather, whirlpools, etc)
Lugia's Song
Master of the legendary birds, capable of calming them.

Ho-Oh
"Guardian of Skies"
Gold
Once resided on top of Bell Tower, until Brass Tower burned to the ground, which moved it to fly endlessly, seeking the worthy out
To see Ho-Oh is to be promised great fortune
Created the legendary beasts, giving them new life after their having dying in the Brass Tower fire

Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres
Ice, Lightning, Fire
Disturbed & brought together -> capable of creating climactic disaster worth of prophetic "world destruction"

Raikou
Reborn Pokemon from Brass Tower fire
Symbolizes the lightning which started the fire

Entei
Symbolizes the flames which ravaged the tower

Suicune
Symbolizes the rains that quenched & quelled the flames

Cresselia
Full moon
Hope
Good dreams

Darkrai
New moon
Darkest nights (darkest hours)
Those sleeping near it will have horrible nightmares, which is an effect it cannot control or stop.
Not 'evil' at heart, even though it possesses nasty abilities.

Victini
Victory
"it is said that anyone in possession of a Victini will win no matter what"

Cobalion
Leader of the "Swords of Justice", user of Sacred Sword
Calm, composed
Driven to protect the habitats of Pokemon, especially from humanity.

Terrakion
Guardian brute of the "Swords of Justice", user of Sacred Sword
Immense strength
(interestingly takes double damage from the types of every other member of the Swords of Justice)

Verizion
Romantic (not relationship, philosophy) of the "Swords of Justice", user of Sacred Sword
Speed, confusion, wit

Keldeo
Protege of the "Swords of Justice", user of Sacred Sword
Ordinary forme changes permanently to empowered "Resolute forme" once it learns Sacred Sword
Raised after losing its home by the above trio
Empowered by resolve

Tornadus (Therian)
God of wind [sky]
Once used his abilities destructively for fun with Thundurus, stopped and punished by Landorus
"Together the three represent the heavens and the nourishing effect the sky has on the Earth"

Thundurus (Therian)
God of lightning [mix]
Once used his abilities destructively for fun with Tornadus, stopped and punished by Landorus
"Together the three represent the heavens and the nourishing effect the sky has on the Earth"

Landorus (Therian)
God of fertility [land]
Once stopped and punished Tornadus & Landorus for using their abilities destructively for fun against the Earth

Xerneas
Life
Everywhere it walks, flora & fauna florish
When it sleeps & awakes from its millennial slumber, life flourishes instantaneously for a thousand miles around its position.
Sleeps as a massive tree
On an alternating cycle with Yveltal.

Yveltal
Death
Everywhere it flies, death follows in its wake
When it sleeps & awakes from its millennial slumber, death washes instantaneously for a thousand miles around its position.
Sleeps as a massive cocoon
On an alternating cycle with Xerneas.

Zygarde
Ecosystems
Balance between life & death

Mega Diancie
Diancie is naturally a 'chosen one', a bright diamond among the dull rocks of Carbink
Carbink is coal/diamonds (becoming valuable under pressure)
Mega Diancie is a chosen one, a diamond of diamonds, realizing its full potential 110%

Kyurem
The shell of the great dragon when Reshiram & Zekrom split
Absolute zero
Quietly simmering rage, stagnancy

Reshiram
Dragon of Truth
Part of one great dragon that split when two princes quarreled over the direction of their Kingdom
Does not willingly fight Zekrom (ideals), but will under the direction of its chosen Hero
Calls to a worthy Hero of Truth
Sleeps as an orb until awakened by Hero

Zekrom
Dragon of Ideals
Part of one great dragon that split when two princes quarreled over the direction of their Kingdom
Does not willingly fight Reshiram (truth), but will under the direction its chosen Hero
Calls to a worthy Hero of Ideals
Sleeps as an orb until awakened by Hero

Unown
Language
Strange power when seen in massive groups, weak when seen alone
Produce strange energies/radio lengths in groups
posted to save, editing in rest of info as you read

reall

Like your description!^^
imo you should go for oracle? That way you won’t be limited by tarot sistem?
And can add cards as you please?^^ ;)))
Something like could be used in Pokémon universe? *Inspired by tarot and oracle tradition?^^;) and who knows maybe they like it and we see it in anime?^^ lolz ;)))
Btw im familiar with both pokemon and tarot/oracle and will gladly help with anything!^^ ;)

stardusting

I'm leaning Oracle, simply because I think there's enough Pokemon lore to warrant it's own system & symbolism. However, if it fits nicely into the Tarot system when I am at a point where I am considering more rigid organization of the deck, I won't turn away from the opportunity.

Today I worked on some kind of border for the cards. I'm not satisfied with it yet - I think it needs a sense of embossing, nameplates, tooling, etc, but I am not sure how to draw that. Nor am I sure how to draw my stained glass style. But I wanted to produce something as more 'proof of concept & intent'.

Thus, I chose to draw a rough (not at all even final for the pose, seriously this is boring) version of an Azelf card. Being that Azelf represents "willpower", I hope that this choice for a start will empower me to work on the project in the future.

https://40.media.tumblr.com/16d8ad807a0d14ae82db6fcfb05958a4/tumblr_njkxdeM0hY1unatmjo1_540.png

edit to not double post: I have added to the card some, making the frame resemble one of Arceus' "plates". I also began experimenting with ways to create a 'stained glass' style.

https://40.media.tumblr.com/cbe2dc302d8f9053b9b5ad228e6f6676/tumblr_njl2pbKBrE1unatmjo1_1280.png

edit 2: Working on frame still, tried doing something for Xerneas. I expanded the width to have a larger picture, but I think it greatly reduces the style of the card. Not sure what I'm going to do about that yet.

https://40.media.tumblr.com/e7d13d68131f4b05b61ed44b52689546/tumblr_njl82sSsxu1unatmjo1_540.png

resized to match Azelf:
https://40.media.tumblr.com/a895bcccbd3750f7785a2f47606ff7e1/tumblr_njl82sSsxu1unatmjo2_r1_500.png

probably just going to stick with origina proportions

GlitterNova

Helix Fossil card? *ducks for cover*

stardusting

Lol, that's what I should've been doing all along. A tarot series based on Helix Fossil, Bird Jesus, and all the rest. xD [maybe for April Fools...]

Thank you for the links, reall. A few of them gave me some great ideas! I just wonder if I can make them work with. Hm.