Want to try and forward my creation... Help!!

zannamarie

thank you SO MUCH for this! It has made a significant difference and improvement.
Glad it helped.

It sounds like you've come a long way in a very short time. You'll have this done and colored before your husband makes it home. :D

blue_fusion

Another suggestion. Instead of trying to remove the sketchy feel of the, well, sketches, why not use them to your advantage?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you want to color it as if it were a coloring book, yes? Why not think of the images as acetates which you color underneath, instead? This brings out the texture of the sketches more. I don't use Gimp, but I think it works the same way as Photoshop.

Attached is one of your images which I played around with. This took 10 minutes, so there isn't a lot of colors yet, and the colored areas aren't too defined or distinct from one another, but I hope you can already see the potential in them. The left one looks a bit like it was done oil pastels, but I like the "hardness" of the right one more - it reminds be a bit of expressionsim.

I hope this gives you more ideas and helps your project! :)

Edited to add: Oops! reall has already suggested this! lol

Attachments

• sample tweaks.jpg
    sample tweaks.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 168

shadowdancer

Another suggestion. Instead of trying to remove the sketchy feel of the, well, sketches, why not use them to your advantage?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you want to color it as if it were a coloring book, yes? Why not think of the images as acetates which you color underneath, instead? This brings out the texture of the sketches more. I don't use Gimp, but I think it works the same way as Photoshop.

Attached is one of your images which I played around with. This took 10 minutes, so there isn't a lot of colors yet, and the colored areas aren't too defined or distinct from one another, but I hope you can already see the potential in them. The left one looks a bit like it was done oil pastels, but I like the "hardness" of the right one more - it reminds be a bit of expressionsim.

I hope this gives you more ideas and helps your project! :)

Edited to add: Oops! reall has already suggested this! lol

YOWZA,

They look amazing. The one on the right really punches hard and well.

Wow, I have got to pin my husband down when he gets back and ask him if he can show me how I can do that on gimp or any other program he has squirrelled away. :D :D

You are kiddin me right? I mean 10 mins?? I am beyond impressed. And it is showing me I can get a great feel / vibe with just a few colours on each card.

I can see myself really enjoying using both a b/w version and a coloured version. Maybe, just maybe these wee folk will see the light of day. Wait and see I guess, but you guys all ROCK!!

Will keep you posted.

Thanks again blue_fusion. Yuu have kick started my desire to actually get to grips with this online stuff and make it work for me. And have fun during the learning process.

Davina

ETA I have just seen the bonus of what you have shown on that far right image. You can see the Hermit in the wings watching. When the Hierophant passes over, he will step up to the plate. A wise head at the moment, but on young shoulders. Heck I am sooo excited now. Just got to hear back from the artist that I can go ahead and take ownership and finish this baby.

blue_fusion

YOWZA,

They look amazing. The one on the right really punches hard and well.

Wow, I have got to pin my husband down when he gets back and ask him if he can show me how I can do that on gimp or any other program he has squirrelled away. :D :D

You are kiddin me right? I mean 10 mins?? I am beyond impressed. And it is showing me I can get a great feel / vibe with just a few colours on each card.

I can see myself really enjoying using both a b/w version and a coloured version. Maybe, just maybe these wee folk will see the light of day. Wait and see I guess, but you guys all ROCK!!

Will keep you posted.

Thanks again blue_fusion. Yuu have kick started my desire to actually get to grips with this online stuff and make it work for me. And have fun during the learning process.

Davina

ETA I have just seen the bonus of what you have shown on that far right image. You can see the Hermit in the wings watching. When the Hierophant passes over, he will step up to the plate. A wise head at the moment, but on young shoulders. Heck I am sooo excited now. Just got to hear back from the artist that I can go ahead and take ownership and finish this baby.

Good luck on this! I find that the best way to learn programs such as GIMP or Photoshop is to have an actual project to work on.

Also, you can download a version of Photoshop for free legally from Adobe's website. It's an older version, but a definitive one. Someone posted a link to it somewhere here in Deck Creations some time back.

Yes it did take 10 minutes, so I hope that gives you more motivation to work on something which at first might seem daunting (I mean, 78 images?!). It would have taken more time had I accurately selected each section to color. Ugh, it's hard to describe. Try to Google 'GIMP/Photoshop coloring tutorials' and 'flats' to see what I mean.

Feel free to PM me if you want any tips or suggestions, or something like that.

Again, good luck. I remember the time when I began learning how to use these programs and I know that this is an exciting time for you. :)

AJ

Shadowdancer, I'm so glad your disappointment has turned into hope again.
Wishing all the best, and don't we have the greatest cheering helpful section here?

All the best!

tarotbear

Tarotbear, I like how you coloured your own deck, but the difference is you started with clear and clean line drawings. When it was obvious he was not going to finish the product, I begged him to provide me with just clean line drawings, whereby I would spend the time colouring. Sadly it never happened.

Thank you! But - what you cannot see is that the 'original, original' drawings were done on copier paper in felt tip pen :bugeyed: with corrections made in White-out! LOL! It was not until after they were turned into the original release that I was able to re-size and re-shape the images and then go in and clean up the messy details in MS PAINT! I even had hand-lettered the titles on the cards! IT IS ALL POSSIBLE FOR YOU TO DO, shadowdancer! :thumbsup:

pic 1 - original drawing (Look at those blotchy corners!)
pic 2 - after cleaning-up; first scan (outside border needs straightening!)
pic 3 - resized, with new borders, Roman numerals, and lettering
pic 4 - colorized - next post

Attachments

• MA 008t.jpg
    MA 008t.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 131
  • MA 008R.jpg
    MA 008R.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 131
  • MA 008.jpg
    MA 008.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 130

tarotbear

It wouldn't add to the last post! :rolleyes:

Attachments

• MA 008.jpg
    MA 008.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 140

shadowdancer

yep, painting with a bowling ball is how it has felt when using gimp in the past. And my bowling style probably reflects that - all over the darned show :D

Hubby still in Canada with work, so for now have spent two days on the sketches. Contrasted them, filtered them, refined the odd line here and there. I suspect they will look better than I thought, and will have benefited from the tips you all gave.

They have been uploaded to the print site and are on order. Used the world card on the rear in blue to signify the rears. I now feel like I am awating the due date of a first born. The post lady is going to all but rugby tackled when she arrives around due time.

Still not heard from Steve. If anyone here knows Ravenswing, and are actively in touch with him, could they ask him to contact me so I can get his blessing to actually go further with having ownership etc? My problem is I am in New Zealand and he is in the US, with no contact since 2010.

Now gotta take a break from these wee dudes and actually get some house work done. Amazing what you find in pantries when you do a 3 monthly full clear out - chocolate you hid and forgot about :D

final finisher honest! Here is where the deck was first bought to attention: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=114638

No need to read it all... I realise I use 500 words when 50 would do. :D :D

shadowdancer

OMG OMG !!

Am squealing here.

My b/w deck has arrived, and looks much, much better than I could have hoped for. It is poker sized with borders. They did a good job. Even the really rough ones are going to be useable and won't look horrendously out of place.

I already have a black tin to house them, and trust me - these are my handbag deck now for sure. Look out for some readings with them on the reading forum some time. :) :)

Thank you everyone who helped with encouragement, suggestions etc. I think without you this would not have happened. They would have stayed as low quality jpgs on the PC only.

Blue Fusion is getting an extra ((hug)) because I now have some guidance as to how to colour them. Heck these are going to rock.

Piccies attached of the first few majors, as to how they look printed.

Rear is the World card I just had in blue.

Attachments

• deck1a.jpg
    deck1a.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 135
  • deck2a.jpg
    deck2a.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 127
  • deck3a.jpg
    deck3a.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 133
  • deck4a.jpg
    deck4a.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 131
  • rearpr.jpg
    rearpr.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 137

danieljuk

will we (the general public shadowdancer fans) be able to buy a copy? :)

looks great! :thumbsup: