Identification of an old French oracle

Maximon

I can't figure this one out...
e71dad83c3528143017efa436492e9f2.png

stellar4

These are the French Fortune Telling Cards, made in 1971 by Poster Prints of Norristown, Pennsylvania. The box has a cartoon depiction of Napoleon and I think there were 24 cards in the set.
Love the artwork on these! A very nice addition to any collection.

Maximon

Thanks! They have an interesting history and I too love the style.

OxfordBear

I love these cards - a sort of Tarot/Lenormand cross, with gaudy Seventies art (they were born the same year as me!) There's a French deck called the Oracle Spirite de Madame Mariana, which is a sort of extension of this one; it has eight more cards to it, totalling thirty-two. To my mind the additional cards don't have the same vibe as these twenty-four, which make a good "chatty" oracle in themselves.

OxfordBear

OK, so - I've done a bit of rummaging, and it appears these cards were originally created in 1964 for Elle magazine by Alain le Foll - the version in your picture has the 1971 artwork. (I'm going by what Camelia Elias says on her Taroflexions website.) So, it seems, the other eight Madame Mariana cards probably were a later addition (as her deck dates from 1973) rather than the twenty-four-card deck being a truncated version of hers.