Oops - bought green-bordered box but grey inside...

Ayram

Just wondering if others feel strongly about green vs. grey border? I am drawn to the green much more than the grey. Ha - something about it reminds me of Oz in Emerald City (I know, that probably disappoints many of you true Thoth lovers!).

Also, I've read that people who first look at the cards feel darkness. I don't - with the exception of a few cards - and I'm wondering if others feel as I do. I'm not confusing the issue of darkness when knowing about Crowley, either; just upon initial reaction without being aware of the author. If anything, my first thoughts were (don't laugh) art deco! I really like the look of these cards and am just surprised to find out how dark they're "supposed" to be!

Hmmmm...I see there's a poll option. I'm tempted to see how many prefer which color border! ;-)

Thanks

thinbuddha

The green borders are out of print- ebay is your best hope to find one (usually cheaper than the new editions).

I haven't seen the green borders in person, but based on web scans, I like the grey borders better (but not so much that I didn't cut them off!)

Annabelle

Personally, I love the old "green" Thoth. The card titles are much less noticeable on the green borders - they sort of blend in, which I prefer. Plus, I just like the green coloration . . to me it's pretty.

I have a newer, grey bordered Thoth, too, but I cut the borders off that one :).

Lillie

Sadly there are 'green box' thoths, and 'green card' thoths.

They are not necesarily the same thing.
It's done to confuse us all!

I have only had the green cards (but in a white box)
I like them.
It's these that have the red and black hex with them. Which I like a lot.

archer1

green box

I recently bought the green box thoth "the cards are huge" I can barely hold them much less shuffle them.....

ravenest

various thoth

Ayram said:
Just wondering if others feel strongly about green vs. grey border? I am drawn to the green much more than the grey. Ha - something about it reminds me of Oz in Emerald City (I know, that probably disappoints many of you true Thoth lovers!).

Also, I've read that people who first look at the cards feel darkness. I don't - with the exception of a few cards - and I'm wondering if others feel as I do. I'm not confusing the issue of darkness when knowing about Crowley, either; just upon initial reaction without being aware of the author. If anything, my first thoughts were (don't laugh) art deco! I really like the look of these cards and am just surprised to find out how dark they're "supposed" to be!

Hmmmm...I see there's a poll option. I'm tempted to see how many prefer which color border! ;-)

Thanks

I do have somewhere an OTO article about the differing productions of Thoth, some from Denmark publisher I think. At least 3 dirrerent anyway.
Yeah I remember trying to handle those big monsters; "If you cant shuffle them" I'd say to readers "just smear them around on the table". Now the small ones seem tiny.
Not laughing at all about Art Deco. Of course they do! A.C. tried to incorp as much eclectic symbolism old and new as he could and this included styles of art (in consultation with Lady Frieda), some have a cubist feel as well.
On the physical plane (printing) some runs are quiet dark and 'muddy', others clear and light ... its like that with printers. The decks without the hexagram card often had varient cards (3 versions of the magus), and perhaps some others?

Ayram

Thanks everyone for your replies! I'd forgotten I posted this and was happy to stumble across it and find responses.

Yes I'm certain I like the green better. The store I bought mine in has these huge plexiglass sheets you can sort through with about 20 or so sample cards from various decks, so people won't open up the boxes (even the they're locked up behind a glass cupboard). That's how I "knew what I was missing" - cause I can see them clearly through this plexiglass. I like the grey well enough, I'm just drawn to the green more but it's hard to say why. I've looked on Ebay and elsewhere w/ no luck.

I play the piano so SOMEHOW manage to shuffle those big cards but don't ask me how - it's always a challenge. I'm hoping that as they get worn in, it will become easier. I just couldn't buy the smaller size when it came to such "powerful" and visually complex cards!

Question: Why do so many cut the borders off? Is it simply for practical reasons, e.g. the cards are too big? And how on Earth would someone cut them all exactly the same size - even with one of those cutting boards teachers etc. use? I suppose if they're not perfectly the same size it may not matter much but I assumed they wouldn't be as easy to shuffle. Just curious...

Thank you!

Lillith0315

I just bought the green box today and the cards in it do most definately have a greenish cast to them, I have a smaller deck with the grey boarder and its obvious when compared side by side but, they are not as green as some I've seen. I was actually a little disappointed I was hoping to find true green boarders, I think they're beautiful. :)

Abrac

I have a deck with green borders and I love it, but I hate the green box! (some people are never satisfied).

I'd like to find a large blue box (box only) to put my deck in and trash the green one, but I am sure it will be a cold day before that happens. Oh well, now I have a goal to give some meaning to my gray little life. ;)

-fof

Lillie

Fools fool.

I hate that green box too.

Both greenies I have had have come in the white USG OTO box.
I like that box. It's the best box.

I've never had a blue box.
All I can say is that it is better than the green one!