TotOP - XV - Temptation

Silverlotus

Element - Earth
Month - December, January
Contributor - Sylvia Gainsford
Flowers - Kingcup - yearning for riches; Maiden Hair Fern - discretion; Burdock - "Touch me not"; Dogrose - warning of pleasure and pain

This is such an earthy card. There is an amazing lushness about it, but also a touch of something sinister. A couple (Adam and Eve? Gunivere and Lancelot?) stand amongst this greenery, looking rather sullen. The woman is dressed in a gown similar to the High Priestess, showing her body quite clearly underneath. Her hair is plated tightly, bring to mind restraint. A definite contrast to the freeness of the High Priestess. The man is dressed in a tunic and tights, coloured green (earth) and yellow (air). She holds a kingcup, while a bag of gold rests by his feet. A snake climbs around the man's leg and up the tree, seemingly without the notice of the couple. Before them walks a rather frightening looking fox.

The lush background of this card reminds me almost of a jungle. It is beautiful, but I think it hides some dangers. The dark sky, and the lightning bolt, definitely add to this feeling.

Silverlotus

This a card that warns one about coveting material things, such as the man's gold. The woman, it seems to me, is rather more interested in the gold at the man's feet then she is in him. And he is so interested in her (possibly representing lust) that he does not see the danger of the snake. I think perhaps this card show darkness, being trapped in a situation, and not carrying enough to get out. The jungle make look nice, but there is no clear path for the couple to leave it.

I really see this card as presenting the traditional Devil in a manner similar to Robin Wood's Devil. There are not demons other then our own desires. If we can control them, or better yet, channel them into something more productive, then we will make progress. But until that time, we are stuck.

zagone

Some minor follow-up thoughts on themes already expressed:

A comparison has been made with the high priestess. Its a good comparison. Carrying it a bit further:

-- The HP has her eyes open, the woman in this card has her eyes either closed or fixed on the money bag.

-- The animals are drawn to the HP. Note how snake looks at HP as though she has something special about herself. The HP radiates an inner power. The snake in the Temptation card sees no special attraction to the woman. She is of the world -- no inner secrets.

-- The cat is likely the HP's familiar. The fox is in the same position in the Temptation card, implying that the woman is sneaky (another reference to her being after the gold?).

-- The woman's braids (representing binding) have already been mentioned. The man is bound to the tree by the coils of the snake.

-- The HP's sky is clear -- this one is stormy

-- The HP has given her hand to nature (the female deer). The woman has given her hand to a man -- someone who can own her.

-- Zagone

Jewel-ry

Hi All,

I have only just got my Tarot of the Old Path and so have been trying to read all of the posts in this study group. Just want to say that although I have a lot of catching up to do I think your doing a great job. Your interpretation of the symbolism and your descriptive views have made me feel very enthusiastic about this deck. Isnt it amazing how a different deck can give such a different slant on the meaning of a card??

Joining this forum was the best thing... so educational.... Please keep up the good work. If I feel I can add anything I will if thats OK.

Many thanks