Tarot of the Magicians

Abrac

Does anyone know if the English language version of the book Tarot of the Magicians, Red Wheel Weiser, ISBN: 0877286566, comes with cards? Just curious. I have been reading descriptions of the book online, and out of all the ones I have read, there has been no mention of cards one way or another. Also, if anyone has a link to an image of this book it would be greatly appreciated!

jmd

I have never seen the book sold with the deck as a set - however, there may be some who do (though it would be surprising as the book is published by Weiser just as that, a book).

The original did come with a set of Atouts (majors) only, and these are able to be separately bought from the publisher de L'aigle.

An image of the book cover is available on the Tarot Universe site.

Abrac

Thanks jmd!

You are probably right. If this book did include cards I'm sure there would still be some out there with cards in them, and mention would have been made of it in the descriptions.

The front cover has some nice color pictures of the cards. With any luck there will be color picures of all the cards inside. So far, all I have been able to determine is that it is "illustrated."

I went ahead and ordered it from an Amazon Marketplace Seller. I think it will be an interesting read regardless of the card situation.

jmd

No - the book is all in black and white (unless a newer edition has changed that).

I would suggest getting a separate copy of the Wirth deck.

To see a variety of Wirth decks, enter 'Wirth' in the search engine on Tarot Garden's page - and remember to mention Aeclectic Tarot if ordering from TG - it all helps Solandia continue to pay for this wonderful site!

Abrac

Hey, the book arrived today. No color photos or cards, but the cover is beautifully illustrated in color. Inside there are lots and lots of b/w illustrations and charts. This looks like an awesome book.

Queen of Pentacle

The perfect card for this book!

I just happen to have this book in French, which came with a 22 major cards set. It was my first set! (I was 13…) and so very magical!

But do you Know that you can buy a copy of the first edition of the Wirth Major, very beautiful with golden art-nouveau back from L'Aigle edition in Canada. It is around 19 Canadian dollars.

These are the original Wirth illustration, painted and adorned by himself, and they are so lovely. You can see these original pictures on this page http://altreligion.about.com/library/graphics/tarot/bl_wirth.htm

They are a lot mor insighfull than the US game edition (a reprint from 1966)

If ever your want to buy them from the publisher, here the link
http://3emillenaire.ifrance.com/3emillenaire/aigle/index.htm

Scarabeo is preparing a new Wirth game with minors for 2007, it seems closer to the original, but again with "tarot of the magicians" or “tarot des Imagiers du moyen age”, you only use the 22 grand trumps

Good luck