AT's ATC Tarot Deck (or bust!)

DraagonStorm

gregory

Photo paper alone is not thick enough... You would have to mount the photo paper on card stock (like I did for the Tarot of the Golden Desert), or print on gloss cardstock..(if you can find something like that?) I do know that with the Wannabe Deck, I do use a thick photo stock, and then laminate that, and it turns out a good thickness. Your choice.

DraagonStorm

April

Oddity, you got the Page of Swords. You can hand do all of them if you'd like, but I think most of us will will just make copies of the original.

Everyone, I PROMISE I will tell you how many cards you need to print on April 18th. I expect that the list of artists might be a little different than the last time we saw it.

Blackroseivy, if your cards are done maybe DraagonStorm wouldn't mind if you sent them early? (but wait till we know how many) Then you could win the Good Example Prize. :) (Sorry, it's not an actual prize, just the feeling of a job well done.)

Peace,
April

DraagonStorm

Just in case you haven't seen/downloaded my tutorial on printing your own deck; check it out at http://www.draagonstorm.com

Select the 2.5 by 3.5 (ACEO/Poker) for size and be sure to name the card you need to print to Cardback with file type of either .jpg .bmp or .gif; and then select 'Test CardBack' to print one sheet of 8 cards... for how ever many cards you need to print out...

Example: if we need to print: 45 cards... you will click on 'Test CardBack' 6 times... Yes that will give you 48 cards on 6 sheets. So you will have 3 extra cards left over.

Hope this helps

DraagonStorm

gregory

Interesting, as the store catalogue says photopaper is 160 gsm. What does this mean in terms of lb ???
Goes right off it and decided to use her colour laser printer on heavy card instead....

Or laminate. AFTER I sign the back - yes ?

ed: OK UK readers - MAYBE we need 200gsm card. Google is a wonderful thing.

I can do that ! (I think. Consults printer manual.)

gregory

Eek. But wait.

Here is the chart I used.... It doesn't specifically mention card...

Oh, Draagonstorm ????

Aulruna

I'm also a bit confused. For ATC prints (I do a lot of digital work) I usually print on 270gsm photopaper - which is a nice sturdy thickness, but does not equal cardstock imho.

The only cardstock readily available here is called "photo cardboard" which is what I use as base for my collaged ATC. However, this is too thick to go through a normal home printer.

Hmmmm.

Maybe I'll just print on thinner photo paper and mount...

*waiting for professional hints*

OnePotato

I use 100lb Strathmore Bristol.
I think the weight is just right.
It comes in either plate finish (smooth)
or vellum finish (sort of satin).
It is acid free.
It has a very nice, slightly warm white tone.

It comes in pads of various sizes.
It takes inkjet printing very nicely.
I have not tried it on a laser printer.
(It may not fuse properly because of the weight.)

Any art supplier should have it, or something equivalent.

Just look for "bristol board."
If you buy it in large individual sheets, you probably want 2-ply.

gregory

Bristol board is not known in Europe.

And the bristol board I have used for science fairs with my kids when we lived over there full time would NO WAY go through ANY printer I have ever owned....

I have developed an even greater interest in lamination !

DraagonStorm

I just checked the photo paper that I have, and it is 45lb (170g/m2). This is the paper I used for the Wannabe. After cold laminating the thickness is good for shuffling and dealing, Maybe a bit on the light side, but I like using this paper since the print out is very sharp. Now for the Tarot of the Golden Desert, I mounded this photo paper onto 110lb card stock and then laminated. The reasoning for this was the hexigonal shape called for a much sturdier card for dealing.

I use cold laminate because you can get a much thinner laminate that way.. Hot laminate was just to thick when you go to shuffle and deal, and every once in awhile I find hot laminating to peel off.

Now I've found that this kind of project, where everyone is printing out their own cards, it's going to be difficult to shuffle in the normal way, anyway, different card/paper stock, and slight differences in card size, etc.

It's hard for me to judge if the photo paper you have (270gsm) is thick enough, without having it in my grubby little hands ;) ... but with the smaller size of ATC cards, the cards don't really have to be as thick/sturdy as say the standard RW size...

I know that in the majors only we decided to not laminate. I don't think there has been any decision either way in this one. Personally, I like to laminate, It gives more protection to the card. Especially if you plan on really using the deck for readings, and not a collector item.

The main thing is just that the paper is thick enough to be able to be dealt out (how ever way it is shuffled) and can take some abuse (that's where the laminating is good for).

Sorry if a ramble a bit... Sometimes I find it hard to put down into words what I mean to say...

BB
DraagonStorm

gregory

I can live with a good ramble. :D

I only have hot lamination pouches though - although my laminator will DO cold, I can only find cold laminate in rolls (which it won't take) and in HUGE quantities....

I could always hot laminate ONE SIDE ONLY.....???

Your decks are wonderful to shuffle and a superb "consistency" of card stock. I wish I could match that ! I have met a copy of the majors only deck; I could go visit it..... Hmmmmm