"how the person sees the other"

wind

How do you read the position "how the person A sees the person B"?

I am always confused by this position. For instance, in a reading I got 5 of pentacles for this position.

So, how would you read this?

1 - the person A sees the person B as lacking something, as maybe having financial worries, as if the person B is left out in the cold and maybe the person A wants to help the person B

or

2 - the person A's attitude is that the person B is neglecting the person A, leaving her out in the cold, rejecting her

This gives me two totally different interpretations and I am not sure which one applies...

Or for instance, 7 of cups as for how the person A sees the person B.

1 - the person A sees the person B as confused, disoriented, lacking focus or living in a fantasy world

or

2 - the person A is confused about the person B, lives in the fantasy world regarding this person B, is not sure what to think or is a dillusional, the view is not realistic

What do you think? Really not sure which interpretation is correct. Thank you for your inputs!

Mellifluous

I try to avoid asking this way for just these reasons. It gets ambiguous.

I think though, for seeing the other, the card drawn represents the other.

If you want to know their attitude, ask that separately and draw another card.

Hope that helps! :)

wind

Mellifluous said:
If you want to know their attitude, ask that separately and draw another card.

Hope that helps! :)

Actually yes, I had the same idea and indeed included this position in the spread, too:)

starrystarrynight

I agree with Mell. If you aren't sure about the question, you can't be sure about the answer! :)

For me, when I see a position in a spread that I don't quite understand, I "rewrite" it to ask something that I can't misconstrue.

For instance, for a position like, "How does A see B?", I might instead ask, "What attribute most attracts A to B?" with a secondary, "What attribute does A most dislike about B?" (That is off the top of my head just to demonstrate my point...I would probably give it more thought than that to come up with a better way to ask...but it would be a question that wouldn't confuse me, so I would know exactly what the spread position is answering.)

Demon Goddess

I have found that in asking for the addon information that I seem to be missing, it is clarified. The cards don't mean to be ambiguous, but if we don't quite grasp their meaning, (even if it actually is all in the card already showing), it is not wrong or bad or negative or anything like that to draw another card for clarity...

So long as... you are able to concentrate on the fact that it is the ambiguity that you are clarifying and that the add-on card won't send you off on a tangent that doesn't exist.

In other words, just because you are looking at a specific card in a specific position doesn't ever mean that the other cards don't exist... All of the cards in the spread are going to alter and twist the meaning of the cards they touch. It is knowing to focus your mind so that each card interacts and blends together to one meaning in which you can practice that focusing.

That's a little something my Grandmother taught me long ago and experience tells me that even after I've been reading all these years, I can still allow myself to let an add on card carry me off on a tangent.

The ultimate key is to focus; and I know only too well, that sometimes that is really difficult... so, pull another card. If you can't focus, let the cards help you focus.

and now I'll shut up, because I think I may be repeating myself. :D

HighPriestesss

Demon Goddess said:
So long as... you are able to concentrate on the fact that it is the ambiguity that you are clarifying and that the add-on card won't send you off on a tangent that doesn't exist.

And if that non-existing tangent should happen, wouldn't that card actually have been meant for the next position (Hopes/Fears in this case)? Or would another card easily handle that placement?

afrosaxon

wind said:
How do you read the position "how the person A sees the person B"?

I am always confused by this position. For instance, in a reading I got 5 of pentacles for this position.

So, how would you read this?

weeeellllll...as always, the deck used helps...while general meanings are the same, different decks put different slants on each card. AND...what other cards were in the spread? No card is an island.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program. :)

If you go back to the original Ettelia meaning of 5 Pents, it meant marriage. :D It was only when Waite did his interpetation that 5 Pents took on the gloom-and-doom, impoverished meaning that is so popular today.

wind said:
for instance, 7 of cups as for how the person A sees the person B.

Person A sees Person B as one of his/her romantic choices; a decision has not been made yet. Again, the other cards in the spread (as well as knowing the deck used) would help clarify matters.

wind said:
This gives me two totally different interpretations and I am not sure which one applies...

What does your gut tell you? It will never steer you wrong, despite what the books/LWB says.

Just my $.02.

T.

Glass Owl

Your question regarding "how the person sees the other" is one that I also have been asking myself. Often times I find that this type of question is too general, especially for relationship spreads where there are a lot of layers to work through. Not only do you have to factor in what the other person is thinking and feeling about the other person (professionally, personally, romantically, etc -- and all of these can be different!) but also his/her feelings and thoughts are regarding their current and future relationship with that person. Those things aren't always the same thing and this knowledge can really be beneficial.

Plus, what a person is projecting, saying, and doing maybe not actually reflect what is truly going on in their head and/or heart. The more and more I work with detailed relationship spreads in regards to my own relationships the more I realize how our hearts and minds are often not on the same page and that often times we keep things hidden not just from others but from ourselves.

xhollysue

I say, 100% of the time, go with your gut. What's the first thing that popped into your mind when you saw the card? That's probably the true answer.

But that's because I read intuitively as well as based on research and experience.