Book of Law Study Group 1.21

cardlady22

similia said:
Nightlights will never look the same to me :)

My son received one shaped like the upper torso of a knight with a shield. (light inside the shield) For a time, he had a "real live friend" in his room.

Aeon418

I apologise if anyone thinks I am jumping ahead of the current verse by bringing in references to chapter 3.
similia said:
Its similar to my thoughts from earlier as to how people who believe in a particular one true god, can follow thelema as a philosophy without conflicting with their religion
But only up to a point. There are some existing principles in established religions that are incompatible with Thelema. Hence the attacks by Horus in chapter 3.

With his Hawks-head he pecks at the eyes of Jesus. Flaps his wings in the face of Mohammed and blinds him. And with his claws he tears at the flesh of the Indian, Buddhist, Mongol, and Din.

The eyes are the point of view, or perspective of these religions. Christianity revolves around the adulation of suffering, self-sacrifice, and the sense of sin. Throughout it's history Christianity has almost exclusively focused on one aspect of Christ. The dying, suffering Christ. The image of the resurrected Christ is far more compatible with Thelema, but one that would require a significant change of perspective within Christianity.

The perspective of Islam is also rebuked but the attack on the "face" by the "wings" is significant. A face is an outward appearance. I associate wings with freedom. Maybe it's an attack on the restrictive, intolerant face of Islam.

Crowley identifies the other four as Hinduism, Buddhism, Confucianism, and mystical Judaism. Only the flesh is attacked this time. That sounds very earthy to me. As Crowley points out, the central metaphysics is probably ok. It's the outer flesh, the superstitious accretions and dogmas that have to be torn away to make them compatible with Thelema.
similia said:
This is interesting to me, when reflecting on the Jewish aversion to idols and idolatry. This is often dismissed as the posturing of a jealous god, competing with the pantheon of other faiths, but I think it could also be seen as a reminder, that the infinite communicates with us via finite symbols, and that we should not confuse the symbol with what it represents.
In chapter 3 Horus declares that he is the "visible object of worship" and that the Stele is his image. I find that very revealing. No pun intended. :laugh:

Horus is the New Aeon archetype of the HGA. The HGA is the most awe-inspiring, magnificent, and wonderful conception of deity that you can imagine. And that's the important point. You can imagine it. It's within your realm of comprehension. It's not infinite deity that will blast your finite mind into insanity. It's something you can handle because it's deity within bounds. Cheth - Fence. ;) But some peoples boundaries are wider than others.

When Horus says that he is the "visible object of worship", he doesn't literally mean that we should worship images of the Egyptian god Horus. (But you can if you like.) He's talking about images and conceptions of deity that we can understand. Stuff that will fit inside our heads.
So worshipping any god or goddess at this level of understanding is worshipping your HGA, Horus. But once union is achieved you can begin to widen your boundaries. Maybe out to infinity? ;)

This is the reason why I agree with people who suggest reading Liber AL as a direct message from your Holy Guardian Angel.

Always Wondering

This thread has been such a help to me. In a way I guess I was throwing the baby out with the bath water. For me, some of the baby had to go. It’s funny how I let people tell me half of my life, that I was a sinner; until I became a mother and heard someone try and tell my kids that.:bugeyed: It wasn’t pretty. :laugh: }) :| My reaction stuck in my daughter’s head more than the message did. Crude, but effective, I guess.

On the other hand, there is something to these stepping stones. To deny I used them and they got me here is to deny my experience. I will borrow from another system I have applied to my life. “Take what you like and leave the rest.” (“like” meaning anything that helps.)

I have brief moments when I realize that my HGA has been trying to get my attention all of my life, with some words straight from a pulpit, to the whisper of a flower. That in itself is awesome and overwhelming.
This first chapter has given me a special sense of intimacy with infinity. I think, like new lovers, I was jealously guarding against any third party intrusion, even Horus. Illogical but true. :laugh:

AW

Aeon418

Always Wondering said:
This first chapter has given me a special sense of intimacy with infinity. I think, like new lovers, I was jealously guarding against any third party intrusion, even Horus. Illogical but true. :laugh:
One way to relate the Angel to the 3 chapters is to think about the three horizontal paths on the Tree of Life and the Tarot cards attributed too them. Each chapter can be viewed as a different aspect of the Angel.

The Empress, Lust, and The Tower. (Oddly enough the Hebrew letters of these three cards add up to 93. ;))

Chp.1 Nuit - The Empress. The illimitable Love of the Holy Guardian Angel. There's a definite Mystical feeling to this chapter.

Chp.2 Hadit - Lust. The Will of the Holy Guardian Angel. There's a lot of direction in this chapter, or Going. Lifting up, drooping down.

Chp.3 Ra-Hoor-Khuit - The Tower. The dynamic energy of the Angel in manifestation. This is a real "break down the walls", "stand back, I'm coming through" chapter. It's also the most physically tangible of all the chapters. It's assault on the senses is almost Magickal.

Aeon418

Swami Vivekanada:
"...if there is ever to be a universal religion, it must be one which will have no location in place or time; which will be infinite, like the God it will preach, and whose sun will shine upon the followers of Krishna and of Christ, on saints and sinners alike; which will not be Brahmanic or Buddhistic, Christian, or Mohammedan, but the sum total of all these, and still have infinite space for development; which in its catholicity will embrace in its infinite arms, and find a place for, every human being, from the lowest grovelling savage not far removed from the brute, to the highest man, towering by the virtues of his head and heart almost above humanity, making society stand in awe of him and doubt his human nature. It will be a religion which will have no place for persecution or intolerance in its polity, which will recognize divinity in every man and woman, and whose whole scope, whose whole force, will be centered in aiding humanity to realize its own true, divine nature."

ravenest

similia said:
Nightlights will never look the same to me :)

And night time 'prayers' will never be the same for Thelemites kiddies:

And now I lay me down to sleep
Unto Nuit I give myself to keep
in drifting, dreaming, floating form
to rise refreshed by the light of morn.

And when I die I will be awake
for no slumber will my spirit take
I will ride the raft of Ra to morn
and welcome in a brand new dawn.

{Better than the old Christian version ;) }

Always Wondering

cardlady22 said:
My son received one shaped like the upper torso of a knight with a shield. (light inside the shield)

I want one of these.

AW

cardlady22

Camelot Treasures in Cary, NC has some pics of full-bodied knights & 3 are female!
blue or purple shield lights

Always Wondering

Aeon418 said:
One way to relate the Angel to the 3 chapters is to think about the three horizontal paths on the Tree of Life and the Tarot cards attributed too them. Each chapter can be viewed as a different aspect of the Angel.

The Empress, Lust, and The Tower. (Oddly enough the Hebrew letters of these three cards add up to 93. ;))

Chp.1 Nuit - The Empress. The illimitable Love of the Holy Guardian Angel. There's a definite Mystical feeling to this chapter.

Chp.2 Hadit - Lust. The Will of the Holy Guardian Angel. There's a lot of direction in this chapter, or Going. Lifting up, drooping down.

Chp.3 Ra-Hoor-Khuit - The Tower. The dynamic energy of the Angel in manifestation. This is a real "break down the walls", "stand back, I'm coming through" chapter. It's also the most physically tangible of all the chapters. It's assault on the senses is almost Magickal.

This does help. I guess I was thinking linear again. Waiting for Chapter Three for the birth of Ra-Hoor-Khuit.
I had to look up the word illmitable though. :laugh:

Thank-you for the link, Cardlady. They are knight lights. How cool.

AW

Aeon418

Always Wondering said:
I had to look up the word illmitable though. :laugh:
Ooops, sorry. I dropped the I. :| It should be "illimitable". Without limits.