The Will/When Spread(s)

nodntap

The Will/When Spread(s)

Often we tarot readers get a 'When' will so-n-so happen type of question. We are told by the so called experts that 'when' and 'will' questions either shouldn't be asked, or should be re-worded, or flat out won't work, and so on. I'm one of those people who believe the tarot can answer just about anything - sort of, LOL.

One of the things that we have to realize about a 'when' question is IF the 'thing - whatever it is' - is actually going to happen in the first place.

Example #1
"When will I get my promotion?"

The seeker/client is automatically assuming they are going to get the promotion - which may not be the case. So the first part of Will/When Spread deals with this aspect of the question.

'Will they get what they want?'

To answer it we will do a simple 3-card YES/NO layout to start things out. If the answer is YES, 'they will get so-n-so' then we move on to the 'When' part of the spread.

Note: You can use any type YES/NO method you prefer - reversal method, number method, suit/element method, and so on.

For more info on YES/NO methods see:
http://www.nodntap.net/test/yes_no_questions.shtml
http://www.nodntap.net/test/yes_no_numbers.shtml
http://www.nodntap.net/test/yes_no_suits_elements.shtml

The complete spread layout looks like this;
-----------------------
"Will so-n-so Happen?"
1 .. 2.. 3 - YES/NO

NO Answer
If the answer is NO read the three cards dealt out to find out why. You can end the reading now or go ahead and read cards 4 through 7 in the context of the NO answer. What you need to realize, what you need to accept, what you need to acknowlede, what you need to do in order to make so-n-so happen.

YES Answer
"When will so-n-so happen?"

4 .. 5 .. 6 .. 7

Position Meanings for 4 through 7
4.) When you realize that ...
5.) When you accept that ...
6.) When you acknowledge that ...
7.) When you do ... [so-n-so]
-----------------------

Example #2

Question
"When will I get my raise?"

I will use the three card suit/element method for the YES/NO answer.
Two or more - Water/Earth = NO
Two or more - Fire/Air = YES
For court cards just use their primary element.

Will the seeker get their raise - Yes or No?

Cards Drawn
5 of Pents .. Ace of Wands .. Page of Cups
. Earth ............ Fire ............. Water ....

Earth = No, Fire=Yes, Water=No
Two No's and a single Yes gives us a NO reply.

So the seeker won't get their raise. Read the three cards to see what the cards can tell you as to WHY they won't get the raise.
-----------------------
Example #3

"When will John ask me to marry him?"

Cards Drawn for "Will John ask her to marry him?"

The Sun .. 5 of Cups .. Knight of Swords
.. Fire ........ Water ............. Air .........

Fire = Yes, Water=No, Air=Yes. John will ask her to marry him so we need to give her advise as to 'When' this will happen.

"When will John ask me to marry him?"

4 .. 5 .. 6 .. 7

4.) When you realize that ... 6 of Pentacles
5.) When you accept that ... The Hierophant
6.) When you acknowledge that ... 4 of Swords
7.) When you do ... [so-n-so] - 2 of Swords

In other words the 'when' isn't going to happen until the seeker comes to terms with certain things. So read the cards to see what these things are that they need to do first before the 'when' can happen. Note: This isn't going to tell her if the marriage will be a happy one so you might want to do a reading for that, or add the following card/position meaning to the second part of the spread;

8. ) What will be the ultimate outcome?

Note for ED users: The top three (YES/NO) cards DO NOT interact/effect the bottom four cards elementally. But the bottom four cards can be read using ED's.

Don S.

Ivy Rhiannon

Very interesting way of answering not only a yes/no but on a time scale as well! this is going in my spreads book! Thank you nodntap! :D

Apollonia

This looks awesome!

Oh, my gosh, nodntap, if this works, I'm going to light a candle on my altar in your honor every day for a month! This looks like such a reasonable way to deal with those questions that are often uppermost in the querent's mind. And, like you, I too believe the Tarot can answer anyting--it's only my own narrow way of looking at tings that restricts it! Thank you, thank you.

Blessings,
Amanda

Katherynne

thank you SO much for this. I used it for a client today and she is VERY satisfied with the ease of understanding.