Fortune Teller's Mahjongg Cards. How many?

rkalin

Main Question.
How many -unique- cards are in the "Fortune Teller's Mahjongg Cards" at
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/fortune-tellers-mahjongg-cards/

I ask this question because a standard Mahjongg deck is in essence one deck multipled 4 times over.

So the question is:
Is this a single deck copied 4 times over?
Or does it have 144 unique cards?

I admit My 'Compass of Fate' deck; also a mahjongg based deck; has 144 unique cards. No duplicates. Though it started as an art deck I am currently developing its use as an oracle deck.

Ilithiya

I don't remember how many cards there are total, since I traded mine away a few years ago... but the main cards are pretty much one deck multiplied by four, and there are eight (?) Guardian cards.

Hope this helps -

Illy

Dave's Angel

Hi,

Not sure if this is by the by now, but there are 42 separate cards / tiles. Most are not unique.....

--------------------------------------different cards-----total cards
1 - 9 in the suit of Bamboos (x4)..................9.....................36
1 - 9 in the suit of Discs (x4).......................9.....................36
1 - 9 in the suit of Characters (x4)...............9......................36
Points of the compass (x4)..........................4.....................16
Red, Green and White Dragons (x4)...............3.....................12
Four Seasons (x1).....................................4.......................4
Four Flowers (x1)......................................4.......................4

TOTALS ---------------------------------< 42 >----------< 144 >---

In a proper Mah Jongg set (bone or ceramic tiles), the White Dragon is shown either as a blank (in Chinese sets) or as a design like a picture frame (in American sets, which also include blank tiles that aren't White Dragons). Sometimes the Seasons are depicted as people. American sets also include a joker and some sets have four extra Five of Discs in a different colour scheme (not sure why).

I don't believe any of the extra tiles have had divinatory meanings put to them, they're to do with the different ways the game of Mah Jongg is played in America, China, Japan, Vietnam..... Some sets have as many as 168 tiles! So if you want to buy a proper Mah Jongg set, which can get quite pricey, be sure to get one with the number of tiles you feel comfortable with.

Also, be careful when buying a Chinese set as it may well not have numerals or any Western writing on. As most of the tiles have only Chinese characters, if you didn't know how to read them you'd be up the creek.

Hope this helps! If you've got anywhere with Mah Jongg do let me know, it's something I've been toying with studying more.