The Victorian Flower Oracle, with Companion Book by AT-er!

room

I got my set today and just wanted to say how meaningful and enjoyable I am finding the book Sheila. I love the way you've mixed poetry and literature into the book as well as some botanical knowledge about the flowers.

The Orange Flower reminded me of the television series from the UK called "The Victorian Flower Garden" with Harry Dodson and Peter Thoday. Harry worked his way up in one of the old estates to the position of head gardener and in the series they recreated the way things were done in the old days on the estate in this and their other series "The Victorian Kitchen Garden." I watched both series repeatedly while they were on TV, and the flower one had an episode where they recreated a Victorian wedding with orange flowers in the bouquet and on the bride's dress.

It has always reminded me of the beautiful scent of my mock orange shrub which flowers ebulliently every spring.

I also liked the lady on the Cactus card resting her hand on the stove! Warmth indeed.

And my other remembrance is about gillyflowers, which are spoken of in Shakespeare, but also referred to in Taylor Caldwell's book on the life of Saint Paul, "Great Lion of God." He was apparently seduced when young by a girl who wore and smelled of gillyflowers--it wasn't until years later that I knew what a gillyflower was, and I now have some in the garden.

I have heard of Jessamine but never really knew what it was so shall have fun looking it up. Oh, I also have Marvel of Peru in my garden--Four O'Clocks are one of the first flowers I ever grew--someone brought me the seeds from Italy but didn't know what they were, so they were part of my first experiences in plant identification. I am a dedicated tea drinker so also liked that card. A strange tree started growing in our garden one year, and we had no idea what it was and when it got bigger we were able to identify it as a Hawthorn (and boy is it thorny) that had self-seeded. All these things are on the cards.

Viola tricolour--what is described as wild pansy or heartsease in the book--we call Johnny Jump-ups (although some of these violas might be slightly different, but under the same name), and my first house was called Heart's Ease and that was where I first grew these smiley little flowers.

SO DELIGHTFUL a deck and companion book. When you're a gardener, a book and deck like this really hits home and becomes more precious for the associations.

Thanks to you for the book and Karen and Alex for creating this marvelous set.

Queen of Pentacle

Oracle companion book

After few splurges from Magic realism press in the last week, Gold Victorian (waw!) Victorian Kit, Fantastic Menagerie kit (beware of them they're addictive), I know want the grandville Flower Oracle.

The book seem very nice and well written, I read a page on the net but I have a lot of companion books and I am not to sure if I need it.

If someone have it, could I have your insigh about this.
Thanks in advance

Queen of Pentacle

Queen of Pentacle

Finally, I opted for the kit.

I am sure that it will be nice... Just that probably I won't have a box to put the cards in. That's what annoy mw with kits...

room

As I recall, the difference in price between the kit and the deck alone on Amazon.ca wasn't a lot which was why I opted for the kit. I'm sure you'll enjoy it and be glad you got the book as well. It is VERY well written and researched.

I would like to see tarot publishers put the decks in a conventional card box within the kit as a rule. Many times, and the ones with the plastic wells are the worst because they crack and deteriorate and can damage the cards, I find the kits do not provide adequate protection for the cards.

Llewellyn has tried to address this by providing generic boxes and bags in their kits, but the boxes are not sized correctly to the cards and the organza bags are flimsy and provide no protection.

Maybe Magic Realist can lead the way on this, since they seem to be open to suggestions? I would love to see the deck within a proper, fitted box, placed in the well for the deck that's in the kit packaging. It has been done as I have a couple of decks that did this.

Obviously it would cost more, but this extra expense can be reflected in the price--everyone's happy, no one loses, and there is no chance of cards going missing or getting damaged.

Owlface

Room, I'm very pleased you're enjoying the book. Writing it certainly opened up quite a few new things for me. Unlike you, I had never heard of jessamine. I am not sure where you are- this is a primarily American species . Some of these flowers were clearly very familiar to Grandville, a Frenchman, while others he knew (I suspect) from botanical collections. Or possibly from reading extensively.

Queen of Pentacle

Bix kit box hassle

Room
Thanks for the informations on the Oracle des fleur's companion book, i hope shipping wont be too long.

About the kit I to agree. I am reluctant to buy kits because it take so much room, and very few include decent box inside. The only to exception were the Visconti gold kit by Scarabeo, and the Gold Victorian romantic by Magic press...
But all my others, even by Magic press do not have the little box which is so handy. I wish I could pay a few dollars more and get it.

The kit box are so big that I trew them away! Perfect waste!

In every "dollar store", when you buy ordinary playing cards deck, you always get a decent box, sometime even a sturdy transparent plastic box... For one silly dollard. Why don't they do the same in these lovely tarot kits ???

Baba and other, please think about it.

PS; Rosyelf, I am glad to have opt for your book, I am sure that I'll enjoy it a lot. The sample on magic press website were the "seeling point" for me. I'll give you my comment after... Thanks for bein there!

room

rosyelf said:
I am not sure where you are- this is a primarily American species

I am in Canada--too far North--it would be tender in my growing zone.

My familiarity with the flower name might be due to knowing the name of American author Jessamyn West. Different spelling, but probably from the flower.

Ah, I just looked it up online, Jessamyn is Persian after the jasmine flower, and a variance in spelling of Jessamine or Jasmine.

room

Interestingly, I am doing a commission for someone, and I read one of the write-ups in the VFO book at exactly the same time, and it mentioned a flower relevant to my commission.

I find instances like that also make decks more personal and cement the connection--makes me glad I bought it and spent the time reading and enjoying the book.

Just a note about the Magic Realist kits: I traded the book for the Fantastic Menagerie, and decided to use the old cover of the kit to make a tuckbox for the deck. It is a bit like crazy patchwork obviously, but the printing will be there instead of making one from scratch. Plus, it makes the deck easily identifiable on my book shelf.

If it goes well, I might do this with other decks. I still have the big cardboard cover to the Tarot of Prague and might make a secondary box for the first edition cards in their ribboned case, so that they don't have a chance to slip out.

jackdaw*

room said:
Just a note about the Magic Realist kits: I traded the book for the Fantastic Menagerie, and decided to use the old cover of the kit to make a tuckbox for the deck. It is a bit like crazy patchwork obviously, but the printing will be there instead of making one from scratch. Plus, it makes the deck easily identifiable on my book shelf.
What a good idea - wish I'd thought of that before I tossed the kit boxes of my other MR decks! I might try that with the Victorian Flower Oracle when it arrives.

Queen of Pentacle

About doing boxes.

I had the same idea, Room, about making boxes

But finally I opted to print cardboard so I may choose the images and side from scan... But original kit boxes are sturdier (and glossier)

I ever you want a pattern for your boxes, you may go to this site, give mesurement and a lovely adapted boxe pattern will appear. Excellent as you may chose size, are magic realist press are a little larger than the standard. Not magic, but close to it.

The link is http://www.cpforbes.net/tuckbox/tuckbox.cgi

Nice option.... But i'd really prefer that the standard box should be include in the kit.