Book for a newbie who already has...

tarotgirlfl

Hi!

I'm a newbie to Tarot and I'm looking for a great book. Thing is, I already "have" the "book" from LearnTarot.com- I downloaded the free course to my tiny laptop so I can read that any time, and my laptop is teeny so I can even 'curl' up w/ it on the couch or in bed. So, any book that I get I would not want it to be redundant to the online course at LearnTarot.com which is, I think, the same as her book "Learning the Tarot".

I put some tarot books on my amazon wish list based on previous threads in this forum, and today I went to BN, but in the store they didn't have any of the tarot books that I'd heard mentioned here. (Although I did get this, just for fun:
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&isbn=0762413824&itm=1

The three books that I did look at, I took to the cafe, got a drink, got online w/ the laptop, and checked the user reviews on amazon.com before buying (and then didn't buy). 2 of the 3 books I ruled out by looking at them cuz they seemed the same as Brunning's online course that I downloaded. The other book was called... oh great, now I forget and can't find it online. But what I'm getting at is that what was at barnes and noble was either redundant for what I already have or got really poor reviews on amazon (like 2 out of 5 stars). [I remember now, this one didn't get very good reviews.]

So, what books should I consider, books that go beyond Brunning's book but still good for somebody new to tarot?

Thanks!
Lauren :)

cybercat

Lauren,

If you go to the top of AT web site on the top right you will see a books icon click on that. There are a bunch of reviews there by catagory. Not all are listed but may are so it should help. What also would help if you are looking for some specific information to list that so we could point you in the right direction.

cybercat

Simone

Great advice people, thanks!

I hope they help you, Lauren.

tarotgirlfl said:
I put some tarot books on my amazon wish list based on previous threads in this forum, and today I went to BN, but in the store they didn't have any of the tarot books that I'd heard mentioned here. (Although I did get this, just for fun:
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/bo...762413824&itm=1

Oh, and ;) }) don't bash the Tarot Nova ;) - it's a cute little deck that has plenty great good readings in it!!! You'd be surprised! ;)

(Me being its greatest fan, I just HAD to get this placed ;) muahaha)

tarotgirlfl

Hi!

Ok, yeah, I took a look at the book reviews here and at amazon.com and just wasn't sure which ones would be a repetition of the Joan Bunning course. What I ened up doing was I went to Barnes and Noble (no luck), Books a Million (no luck), one new age book store (forgot to look at tarot books), then another new age book store, and this time I got lucky. They had several of the ones recommended by people here and I was able to look at them before deciding which to buy. I ened up getting "Tarot For Your Self" (Greer) and "Complete Tarot Reader" (Michelson). I almost got "Tarot Outside The Box" but I just wanted to get two books, and so I went w/ the others.

The tiny Tarot Nova I got is great! :) I wish the cards weren't so rigid, though. I can't shuffle them at all. (The tiny Tarot Nova is 3.6 x 3.1 but really thick cards.) Last night I ordered The Miniature Rider Waite deck wich is 3.6 x 3.1 inches and supposedly much easier to shuffle, and a girl in my Tarot class has them and they look very easy to handle and shuffle.

Thanks for all the help! :)

Lauren

Rosie_OBlivion

Hey Simone

Hello from another Tarot Nova fan! What a wonderful deck it is! I imagine it is as hard to create a "minimalist" deck as one chock full of symbolism. I like the size (small and squarish) and the black background. Perfect for the purse!