Deck Creation-alteration

rkalin

Rkalin Arthor of "The Compass of Fate" Mahjongg based oracle deck.
It's been a long time Since I posted on Aeclectic. Several people are nice to continue to promote my deck off and on when Mahjongg oracles are brought up in topic and I am gratefull for this.

Examples of it are here on Aeclectic.
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/compass-of-fate/
And at my home page you can aquire the whole deck free.
http://www.angelfire.com/alt2/robertkalin/tcof.html

As previously stated I originally created this deck as a self imposed art project with the inspiration of tarot at its source. It's first incarnation was adequte and completely hand drawn from start to finish. After a few years I felt more and more like it was incomplete. I felt that it's art level could be improved and that it could be completed to the heights of my expectations when I first started the project. So I did just that. I expanded it and altered its art to be much more impressive than originaly created.

For the longest time I was satisfied with it. However as with the gap between the fist and second incarnation of this deck I have had a constant feeling that it is incomplete. When I had posted this deck's existince onto Aeclectic's forums I finally realized how inadequte it was for the purpose of fortune telling.

It's Black and white, a 2.5 star rateing, and for the purpose of fortune telling it's far from being considered an adequet mechanism.

It's time for me to upgrade it for that specific purpose this time. However I believe I will need some help.

In the past I thought of using the 'dream encylopedia's' as a form of defineing each card based on the image shown. For some reason that never seemed to pan out. It kept on seeming like the dream definitions didnt quite fit. It was enormous and seemed never to be able to mesh into the title that each card held.

Then there is the method of incorperateing a newer set of elements into the deck to give it a deeper meaning. I wouldnt want the deck to look like some of those starter decks with a dozen teeny symbols on each card, making it look like the 'legend' on a road map. There are various ways of altering each border. For example the 'lands' border features trees, stars, moon, a night sky and day sky. Many of which can be altered. Other suites such as the 'reason' suite features simple Knotwork and is not as easily altered for variety.

This is a definate request for help. For now and for some time in the future all I will do is create a list of what to alter each card to and how it affects interactions. Once I have completed the list The graphical update will begin. The last update between the original and new deck auctually took some brainstorming and eventually 3 months of fiddeling with a list for the 144 some odd cards. At one time I auctually had scraps of paper with each card, number and symbol written on it laid out on the floor to make sure i didnt duplicate anything. There of course were some later revisions for things that never quite fit in but such is the course of editing -anything-.

My main research tools that I currently have available is the bookstore, the internet, and my cheapo 5$ "Amazing book of Tarot" (c) 1999 by bramley books. (its mainly a picture book with Marseille tarot deck featured prominently, something Ild expect to be packaged with a deck)

Since the Dream Encylopedia's doesnt seem be a directly apropiate source of imagery and symbology for me to use; ANY pointers to more suitable books is GREATLY apreciated!. Any Web sites -over- books is welcome as I do most of this on a budget as side hobby in my spare time.

Any critical review of the deck (in its current state) is GREATLY welcome. These reviews will help point me in a good direction for its reconstruction.

Bob.