De-Enabling Thread

Asbestos Mango

emmsma said:
No! you don't want it. Its creepy and ugly. It will sneak into your room at night and do unspeakably gorey and horrible things to you as you sleep.

And if you are able to look at all the cards, you won't even be able to sleep because of all the grotesque imagery that will be implanted in your mind.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

SolSionnach

Personally, I think the DM is hilarious, at least when viewed on Taroteca.

In person? I'd probably sleep with the lights on for a couple years. :eek:

zan_chan

Asbestos Mango said:
I want the Deviant Moon Tarot. I want it now.

Anybody have a good reason why I shouldn't just go to Amazon.com and order the damn thing?

It's just so shiny! Until I got my hideous Radiant Waite, the DM was the shiniest, plastic-iest thing I had ever felt.

And also, a few AT friends can attest to this, every time I hear someone mention the DM, my first thought is always, "Oh, I want one," or "I always mean to get one of those," when actually, it's sitting right here next to me, right now, as I think those things. The DM is a deck that really only sounds good in theory. It has a way of looking really cool, and continues to theoretically do so long after you buy it, but you'll never actually touch the thing. It just sits there being cool in its box, long, narrow, and shiny.

Amary

zan_chan said:
It has a way of looking really cool, and continues to theoretically do so long after you buy it, but you'll never actually touch the thing. It just sits there being cool in its box, long, narrow, and shiny.

That's what mine is doing right now. I've read with it once.

Chronata

zan_chan said:
It's just so shiny! Until I got my hideous Radiant Waite, the DM was the shiniest, plastic-iest thing I had ever felt.

And also, a few AT friends can attest to this, every time I hear someone mention the DM, my first thought is always, "Oh, I want one," or "I always mean to get one of those," when actually, it's sitting right here next to me, right now, as I think those things. The DM is a deck that really only sounds good in theory. It has a way of looking really cool, and continues to theoretically do so long after you buy it, but you'll never actually touch the thing. It just sits there being cool in its box, long, narrow, and shiny.

That is perfect de-enabling for me.
Because even though it creeps me out in a huge way...there's always that..."ooh...but maybe I should get it anyway" feeling.

Heh. not anymore.

magpie9

the Spill

nisaba said:
Can you tell us that such lapses of artistic judgement pepper the deck liberally? Birthday or no birthday, that might be de-enabling in and of itself.
Birthday or no birthday, I'd pretty suspicious of the motives of anyone who gave me that deck. Check your tea for arsenic and pawn the Spill off on some unsuspecting new collector on some other forum. Perhaps you can trade it for a Miss Cleo.

Not that Miss Cleo is any good, either. It's just less disgusting.

WingspreadPhoenix

...that image gregory posted has de-enabled me for about 20 years to get DM.

Can someone please de-enable me for Tarot of the White Cats? And just for the record, I absolutely adore any and all kinds of cats. Ever.

magpie9

I did find one really really good use for my Devient Moon. The owner of the Metaphysical Shop I work at is a rider-waite purest. It is the One True Deck. All other decks are Crap. Now and then I drag something Interesting in just to mess with him. so I brought the DM. })
He nearly had a stroke looking at it.
He sobbed on the counter when I told him it was US Games Flagship deck of the year.
He Blanched when I told him I could read with it.
He was last seen in the back room fondling his albano-waite and apologizing to it for the existence of the DM.

It was a very satisfying experience for me. Next time he gets out of line I'll show him the Baphomat.

Now, obviously I live and thrive as a Very Bad Example. But think about it.
What if you had this deck laying around the house and an Innocent Child picked it up and later became a serial killer? Could you ever forgive yourself? I think not.
Or even worse, what if your dear old granny picked it up and looked at it? O The Horror, especially when she whips out her Baphomat to show you..:eek:...

It's just too dangerous to own. Really.

magpie9

WingspreadPhoenix said:
...that image gregory posted has de-enabled me for about 20 years to get DM.

Can someone please de-enable me for Tarot of the White Cats? And just for the record, I absolutely adore any and all kinds of cats. Ever.
Yeah, but do you adore the very same expressionless cat in a variety of pastelly outfits, over and over?? "Cause that's what you get with this deck. Borrrrrr-ing.

nisaba

WingspreadPhoenix said:
You've just de-enabled yourself, if only you'd see it.

You know that lovely softness of cats? Not there. You know the warmth and heaviness of them sleeping in your lap, utterly trusting? Not there. You know the smell of them when you bury your face in their fur? Not there. You know that lovely squirm they do when they stretch voluptuously? Not there. You know all that love? Not there. You know when they reach out to pat you, very gently? Not there.

I had a long-haired cat once, very used to being combed, and a friend of mine with the archetypal long wizard-beard used to visit often enough for her to get used to him and even sit on his lap. One day she reached up, very, very gently, and with her claws extended to make a comb, very carefully combed out his beard. Stroke after stroke. Do you really think any of *them* are going to care enough about your friends to do something loving for them like that? I think not.

Loving cats makes cat-decks empty and hollow. Don't do it. You'll only hate yourself in the morning.