The Wild Unknown Tarot

delinfrey

Actually, the fact that nothing is changed, is a little bit annoying to me as a collector.
It is an immensely subjective issue, and in no way is meant as a criticism to the authors, but - last year, I was also a bit surprised when the 2nd edition was given out, that you just add a few drops of paint, change the backing, and call it the 2nd edition. Me as a collector - I gotta get it. But it is still essentially the same deck, so now you make me feel as if you just have a clever way to make money.

Or decks with "one different card" (Prisma Visions instantly comes to mind) - oh dear how I love that deck, but should I really purchase an entire deck (costing me about 80 dollars to get it) just to use one different card?

I think if you own the first edition, you should be able to purchase the new cards in single format, so you would be able to substitute, if you feel like it.

Wild Unknown was particularly evil in that should I wish to substitute only one of the cards, but use the 1st edition for the other altered cards, I cannot.

IHeartRescues

delinfrey: May I just clarify that I do not have the first edition so this would be my only copy.
The quote I included previously, did seem to allude to maybe there is something more (in the book?)

And yes, I tend to agree that I also see the 2nd ed. as a rather exploitative use of loyal WU customers, and that the WU has profited enormously fm their customers' reviews, free advertising etc. so why their disregard? rhetorical question. That is why I am happier to be finally buying their product fm a different dealer at a signif. reduced price. (And the hard box isn't a bad idea either.)

Actually, the fact that nothing is changed, is a little bit annoying to me as a collector.
It is an immensely subjective issue, and in no way is meant as a criticism to the authors, but - last year, I was also a bit surprised when the 2nd edition was given out, that you just add a few drops of paint, change the backing, and call it the 2nd edition. Me as a collector - I gotta get it. But it is still essentially the same deck, so now you make me feel as if you just have a clever way to make money.

Or decks with "one different card" (Prisma Visions instantly comes to mind) - oh dear how I love that deck, but should I really purchase an entire deck (costing me about 80 dollars to get it) just to use one different card?

I think if you own the first edition, you should be able to purchase the new cards in single format, so you would be able to substitute, if you feel like it.

Wild Unknown was particularly evil in that should I wish to substitute only one of the cards, but use the 1st edition for the other altered cards, I cannot.

MandMaud

May be useful for someone: http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/S...&n=100121503&cm_sp=mbc-_-9780062466594-_-used

This is a used copy - £27 (GBP) and obviously the shipping will be less if you're in the USA, as that's where it's coming from. AbeBooks have their US site, the UK one is just my own default. :)

You can also set up searches on AbeBooks to alert you when a copy of anything is found, and off the top of my head I think you can set upper price limit on your saved search. I like AbeBooks, and few people seem to have heard of it in my experience.

Don't know how this price compares as I haven't been keeping up with price shifts. But I know I'd have jumped at this if I didn't already have my copy.

IHeartRescues

MandMaud: I just visited your above link and even tho the listing SHOWS and says Deck and Guidebook, they are using a current stock photo, and it actually says NON-BOOK below.

So this would probably not be the deal that is being offered as a PRE-ORDER of the deck AND book boxed SET which is selling for about $24 US on Barnes and Noble and Amazon, w no added shipping costs if you meet their minimums.

I could be mistaken? However, my pre-order won't be released until November.

MandMaud

IHeartRescues, thank you - because I posted without knowing what price(s) the WU's going for elsewhere. :) If that kind of price is available without adding £20+ for shipping (for UK or Europe), then it's significantly less than the one I linked to.

But as for the stock photo and "non book" for cards, they're usual on AbeBooks - I think they only ever use stock photos and I think sellers only submit the ISBN and condition notes - so in that respect, I wouldn't worry. I've always had good service there even though it's a marketplace-style arrangement (unlike Alibris which really is NOT user friendly!), and even though I always sort by price incl. shipping and go for the cheapest. :) I can't vouch for the customer service through AbeBooks as I've never had a complaint.

Luna's Crone

I am to receive mine sometime in october.

I don't care what version it is, just so long as I get one.

I have the original tarot of the spirit and and a newer (newest?) deck. Have not clue if they are different or not.

SharonRA

Could somebody who bought the mass-produced Keepsake Box set comment on the cardstock? I have the self-published 2nd Ed, which I bought this past summer from her site before they went out of stock, and I'm wondering how the older self-published deck's cardstock is comparable to the mass-market version.

Denever

For me, it's impossible to shuffle because it's difficult to separate the cards. The cardstock is of good quality -- just not what I would choose for a deck of cards. I suppose this might improve with use, but I've pretty much figured this as an art deck to have but not to use.

Kalisti

It's quality stock, but as previously mentioned, shuffling is tough. It's completely matte, which I adore, but it's only gotten marginally better with consistent use. I have to shuffle this deck probably 3 or 4 times more than I do my other decks to get a good mix up. I like to take pictures of my readings though so the matte finish is worth it, and I enjoy the texture, too. Someone in another WU thread mentioned a powder one can buy that stage magicians use for their tricks, I can't remember what it's called, but I am considering looking it up to get it myself.

SharonRA

This is the newest mass market deck published by Harper Collins that you both are referring to that came out this autumn? Kallisti, I believe it's called 'fanning powder'. :)