The Wild Unknown Tarot

Kalisti

This is the newest mass market deck published by Harper Collins that you both are referring to that came out this autumn? Kallisti, I believe it's called 'fanning powder'. :)

Yep, I preordered it! I'm glad I did, the box is sturdy, the book isn't hardcover but it is very well made, and the cards themselves are exactly what my collection needs.

Fanning powder, thanks! Going to look for some on ebay.

elle_muse

I got these today!

Oh, wow. I thought I wouldn't be able to resonate with them, because of the vivid, strange and sometimes grisly (but of so beautiful) imagery. I'm used to the Universal Tarot because I wanted to really understand the cards before before becoming a collector (which I can't wait to call myself very soon!). I've done two readings and I already feel a connection to this deck.

Having said that, I do have a question to all you WU lovers. I've been reading the guidebook to get myself acquainted with this deck, as well as get a different perspective on the cards. The thing is, I'm used to the cards having more than one meaning. Let's say I get the Lovers. The lovers can mean a pair of lovers, but it mostly represents a choice. In the WU, it's about a strong relationship, union, desire joy. Which is very much like the 2 of Cups in this deck, but the 2 of Cups can be friendships as well.

When you read the WU, do you base the interpretation based on the deck itself, or you general knowledge, experience and feelings about the cards in general?

Kalisti

When you read the WU, do you base the interpretation based on the deck itself, or you general knowledge, experience and feelings about the cards in general?

I use a combination of those things. If a deck comes with a guidebook, and WU does, I read it and consult it to get an idea of the artist's intentions with the imagery. If there is no book, I read with general knowledge/artwork until I have a good sense of the deck. Once I become familiar with the deck my intuition gets more say in the meanings.

elle_muse

I use a combination of those things. If a deck comes with a guidebook, and WU does, I read it and consult it to get an idea of the artist's intentions with the imagery. If there is no book, I read with general knowledge/artwork until I have a good sense of the deck. Once I become familiar with the deck my intuition gets more say in the meanings.

Great! Thank you for your input. I'll be doing pretty much the same. In the future, when I have a few decks in my collection, my intuition will choose a specific deck for a specific question.

tarotlova

I'm waiting for mine to arrive along with the spread cloth she designed to go with the WU!

flyingfoxtarot

Great! Thank you for your input. I'll be doing pretty much the same. In the future, when I have a few decks in my collection, my intuition will choose a specific deck for a specific question.
I find myself using the guidebook less with TWU than some of the other decks in my collection. I think the spare artwork style lets me be more intuitive in my readings. For example - the Four of Cups in my Prisma Visions deck is almost always apathy and dissatisfaction, since the artwork is of a young person looking blankly at a river. However, when I pull the Four of Cups in TWU, the rat reminds me of my time dancing in the Nutcracker, and how I felt I wasn't any good. The moon reminds me of things that aren't visible, but still affect my life, so this card reminds me of depression as well as apathy. It brings me back to a time in my life when I was feeling this very intense energy.

I think that each deck has a different energy, and as you work with your decks and different decks more you get a better feeling of them.

Madrigal

Actually, the fact that nothing is changed, is a little bit annoying to me as a collector.
It is an immensely subjective issue, and in no way is meant as a criticism to the authors, but - last year, I was also a bit surprised when the 2nd edition was given out, that you just add a few drops of paint, change the backing, and call it the 2nd edition. Me as a collector - I gotta get it. But it is still essentially the same deck, so now you make me feel as if you just have a clever way to make money.

I've got the first and second editions and am contemplating the third. Partly for the guidebook which I don't have but I'm concerned the differences will be negligible. delinfrey, it sounds like this is the case, yes?

MsCaraD

I just wanted to add that I love the wild unknown. it was only my second deck and I bought it for about the same price as any other tarot offered on amazon and what I got was so much more than a book and deck. I appreciated the little details and the sturdiness of the deck holder and then the enclosure for it and the book. you know when you can feel something was loved so much by its creator? I feel that in this because everywhere you look is attention to detail. there are a few cards I don't care for but I love the empress, high priestess, and there's a few others I cant remember off the top of my head. I try to practice with my gilded tarot bc there's more to the pictures to help me recall what I think the cards mean and then ill work with the Wild Unknown and its helping me see which ones I'm recalling better than others. Everyone says to follow your own interpretations but we have to admit there is a general consensus on what they mean so I am trying to learn those as best I can. truly a nice deck though. I preordered on amazon for like $23.99 I believe.

MsCaraD

I'm waiting for mine to arrive along with the spread cloth she designed to go with the WU!

I didn't know about the spreadcloth?! what?! where is that being offered?

Astraea

I've got the first and second editions and am contemplating the third. Partly for the guidebook which I don't have but I'm concerned the differences will be negligible. delinfrey, it sounds like this is the case, yes?
Hi Madrigal, I'm not delinfrey, but I have the mass-market third edition (from Schiffer), and the only difference I've detected is that the third edition guidebook includes a few more spreads. Text seems the same to me.