Do you prefer Tarot Illuminati or Apokalypsis?

rwcarter

Finally got around to doing a reading with the Illuminati after having it for all this time. And I must say I prefer the Illuminati to the Apokalypsis, which I also used for a reading today. The Apokalypsis seems to have too much random symbolism in it.

The Star showed up in the reading I did. WHY is there a ship in that card? I'm sure it's explained in Kim's companion book, but for me at least, the Apokalypsis isn't a deck I'm interested in studying - I just want to use it. Don't get me wrong though. I love random decks like the Bosch. But everything about that deck is random. The Apokalypsis seems to have random stuff thrown in just to be random.

Rodney

earthair

I have the stand alone deck and the kit version of both; in order of preference I like Illuminati stand alone deck the best for readings- it's my go-to reading deck. I've blackened the edges and it looks brilliant. The gold edged kit version comes a close second, although the cropping means some of the image is lost (compare the Fool in both versions for instance). I love everything about Illuminati- the way the red pops out, the faces, the themes.

Apokalypsis is fun to look through and do occasional self readings, but I can't get anything from it when reading for others. The historical era themes seem a bit contrived and don't go together harmoniously- and the swords just don't seem to fit in at all. But the artwork is stunning.

rylla

Off topic: I prefer both :)

ETA I could not chose. Both are great reading decks for me. Both are stunning decks.

delinfrey

Wow, I had absolutely no idea that there were different editions of the Illuminati! I mean, I was aware that there was a tuck-box, but not that it radically changes card size and comes with borders? Hmm, actually quite tempted to try it out.

Although I don't understand why they would crop the images?

earthair

Wow, I had absolutely no idea that there were different editions of the Illuminati! I mean, I was aware that there was a tuck-box, but not that it radically changes card size and comes with borders? Hmm, actually quite tempted to try it out.

Although I don't understand why they would crop the images?

Not sure.
To show you, here are both versions...
The stand alone deck with borders > (although the writing on the borders isn't quite like this in real life)
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/16/50/c5/1650c5ba556f494c3424ebb520da5c6e.jpg
The kit version with gold edges which is borderless> (note the sun got cropped off)
https://seaqueen.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/5-card-illuminati-tarot.jpg

rylla

Not sure.
To show you, here are both versions...
The stand alone deck with borders > (although the writing on the borders isn't quite like this in real life)
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/16/50/c5/1650c5ba556f494c3424ebb520da5c6e.jpg
The kit version with gold edges which is borderless> (note the sun got cropped off)
https://seaqueen.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/5-card-illuminati-tarot.jpg

Great info, thanks! I have the kit. What happened with my sun?! :) Are both decks of the same size?

Madrigal

I have the kit version of both. Initially I thought I preferred the Illuminati but when I went back to look at it I found myself more drawn to the Apokalypsis. It likely has to do with mood and season. Which change with the wind. But for now Apokalypsis has my attention.

Tanga

Off topic - both give me a headache. :D

Padma

I've been going back and forth on ordering the Apokalypsis. I do love the Illuminati, but I haven't read with it for ages! :bugeyed: so it isn't my go to deck.

Which is why I am not immediately ordering the Apok.

Le Fanu

I've realised what it is that distinguishes them both for me. After reading this thread I got them both out and was looking at how despite the apparent chaos in the Illuminati, the images still have a very distinct compositional pull to them. That's to say there's all this chaos but with an undercurrent of order. The Apokalypsis lacks this for me. It's what differentiates them for me.