Gill/Golden Dawn Meanings Online?

sunflowr

I recently bought the Gill Tarot deck (couldnt help myself! lol!) plus may be getting another copy in a trade.

I don't have the book and I am hearing the book is a bit "heady" and doesnt really go into the more practical meanings of the cards. I still may order the book at some point but would really like to know if there are resources online (maybe even within here somewhere) where there is a list of Golden Dawn meanings. Better yet, specific to Gill tarot?

If not, ..well, even if there is.. this is one deck where I'll be starting a notebook and pretty much creating my own little book of meanings, based on a few things from the LWB, my own feelings and thoughts about each card, meanings I find online, etc.

Will be fun, actually! :)

But would really like help with some meanings/resources (based on practical meanings, not the heady esoteric ones) online. I need to watch my $$$ so don't really want to buy anymore books at the moment.

Thanks for any help. :)

Thirteen

sunflowr said:
But would really like help with some meanings/resources (based on practical meanings, not the heady esoteric ones) online. I need to watch my $$$ so don't really want to buy anymore books at the moment.
I'll immodesty mention our own basics here online which I helped to compile:

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/learn/meanings/

These are very basic and very practical (as it were)--they use the Rider-Waite tarot as their template/reference, but your deck is close enough that there shouldn't be a problem. One can also work one's way through "What do the cards mean?" threads (pick and choose the ones that seem to resonate with what strikes you about the cards:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=14874

Very enlightening discussions on all the cards compiled by Firemaiden.

But I'm a bit confused by this thread title. Do you want Golden Dawn meanings in particular? They're very interesting, but far from "practical." GD meanings are often among the most esoteric.

Flidais

I strongly recommend that you study Gill's philosophy and system before trying to read with this deck. That means getting her book, reading it, and taking notes. Or at least go through the LWB that comes with the deck. It seems like those would be logical meanings to use.

I know it is tempting to jump right in without devoting precious time and energy to the study of a deck, but I always feel I owe at least that much to the deck's creator. After all, Josephine Gill spent long hours preparing the art and the explanations of the cards in this deck. I also feel a deck offers much more to the reader when an effort is made to understand all that went into it.

(Just my opinion, of course.)

sunflowr

Flidais said:
I strongly recommend that you study Gill's philosophy and system before trying to read with this deck. That means getting her book, reading it, and taking notes. Or at least go through the LWB that comes with the deck. It seems like those would be logical meanings to use.

I know it is tempting to jump right in without devoting precious time and energy to the study of a deck, but I always feel I owe at least that much to the deck's creator. After all, Josephine Gill spent long hours preparing the art and the explanations of the cards in this deck. I also feel a deck offers much more to the reader when an effort is made to understand all that went into it.

(Just my opinion, of course.)

I do plan on getting the book at some point, because I realize it'll be good information on the cards. But I also want to keep a notebook of meanings that more suit my readings.

Anyway, I might be able to work out a book in a trade, so we'll see. Otherwise I'll order it sometime.

ps: the reviews I have read mostly say it is NOT necessary to know her system in order to do readings with her cards. I have no doubt it will help, but I have heard it isnt essential.

sunflowr

Thirteen said:
I'll immodesty mention our own basics here online which I helped to compile:

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/learn/meanings/

These are very basic and very practical (as it were)--they use the Rider-Waite tarot as their template/reference, but your deck is close enough that there shouldn't be a problem. One can also work one's way through "What do the cards mean?" threads (pick and choose the ones that seem to resonate with what strikes you about the cards:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=14874

Very enlightening discussions on all the cards compiled by Firemaiden.

But I'm a bit confused by this thread title. Do you want Golden Dawn meanings in particular? They're very interesting, but far from "practical." GD meanings are often among the most esoteric.

I dont know what I mean. ;) I guess I mean "Thoth" interpretations, rather than Rider-Waite based ones. Because the Gill is more based on Thoth, from what I can tell.

By "practical", I mean for doing regular readings, not "spiritual development" readings. I'm really not all that familiar with meanings other than the standard Waite ones, so please forgive me if I am not making much sense. ;) I'm still learning.

Thirteen

sunflowr said:
I dont know what I mean. ;) I guess I mean "Thoth" interpretations, rather than Rider-Waite based ones. Because the Gill is more based on Thoth, from what I can tell.
Ah. Those are more esoteric--and fascinating. Certainly, in my experience, more advanced. But you say you already know the Rider-Waite meanings? You can certainly go through our "basics" here and strengthen what you know if you feel you're not ready for more "esoteric" interpetations.

If, however, you feel solid enough on Rider-Waite meanings, able to do readings with some confidence and knowledge, then there's no reason you shouldn't be able to learn Thoth interpetations. They're not completely impractical ;)

All of us are still learning. That's the tarot for you--you never stop learning.

sunflowr

thank you all for the info. :) I've since also aquired the Thoth so have been studying some of those meanings as well. Found a few interesting sites that help alot.