Temperance

Teheuti

Who says it is water? To temper something means to modulate or mingle in due proportion; observe proper measure. It refers often to mood and emotion (he's in a temper) or one's temperment. In medieval theory, it meant a combination of qualities (hot, cold, moist, dry) that determined the nature of an organism; thus also "a combination of the four humors (sanguine, choleric, phlegmatic, and melancholic) that made up a person's characteristic disposition."

Tempered suggests that a musical instrument is in tune (made more fixed or elastic as needed).

Thus, it could represent sound waves or ether (or, in modern terminology, energy 'vibes').

Yelell

Who says it is water? To temper something means to modulate or mingle in due proportion; observe proper measure. It refers often to mood and emotion (he's in a temper) or one's temperment. In medieval theory, it meant a combination of qualities (hot, cold, moist, dry) that determined the nature of an organism; thus also "a combination of the four humors (sanguine, choleric, phlegmatic, and melancholic) that made up a person's characteristic disposition."

Tempered suggests that a musical instrument is in tune (made more fixed or elastic as needed).

Thus, it could represent sound waves or ether (or, in modern terminology, energy 'vibes').

Liquid is suggested by it being contained in pitchers, but if it's completely allegorical then gravity and direction is irrelevant.

Richard

Liquid is suggested by it being contained in pitchers, but if it's completely allegorical then gravity and direction is irrelevant.
Which could be the point of the impossible flow.

I have even seen it suggested that the direction of flow is from the lower vessel to the upper. Also, I'm not sure that the most obvious interpretation of Temperance is moderation, which is usually accomplished by a process of self denial (subtraction) rather than combination (addition). (Please note my emphasis on "the most obvious." You can make anything mean anything by sophistry.)

Yelell

Which could be the point of the impossible flow.

I have even seen it suggested that the direction of flow is from the lower vessel to the upper. Also, I'm not sure that the most obvious interpretation of Temperance is moderation, which is usually accomplished by a process of self denial (subtraction) rather than combination (addition). (Please note my emphasis on "the most obvious." You can make anything mean anything by sophistry.)

Why not the most obvious? That's the definition of the word. If you want the gravitational inconsistency to indicate something secretive or hidden then you can. While you can make an argument for alternate meanings if you like, the definition of temper or tempered is not quite the same - certainly not the most obvious.

Richard

Temperance has been in the Tarot deck for a long time, without significant change in the title or picture. (An obsolete definition of the word is: State with regard to heat or cold; temperature.) The four humors were thought to be bodily fluids. Perhaps the picture suggests the balancing of the humors, which was regarded as essential to good health.

If temperance is taken to mean abstinence or sobriety, it doesn't seem to fit the picture in any obvious way, allegorically or otherwise.

Teheuti

If temperance is taken to mean abstinence or sobriety, it doesn't seem to fit the picture in any obvious way, allegorically or otherwise.
When I used the term moderation I wasn't referring to sobriety at all. I was using the term in its older concept - more akin to modulation or "to moderate" - for instance, the four humors/temperments as I mentioned above.

Yelell

“Temperance is the moral virtue that moderates the attraction of pleasures and provides balance in the use of created goods."

An illustration of balance? I suppose in AA sobriety would equal abstinence, but more generally to me it would be not intoxicated, or out of control.

Richard

When I used the term moderation I wasn't referring to sobriety at all. I was using the term in its older concept - more akin to modulation or "to moderate" - for instance, the four humors/temperments as I mentioned above.
Indeed. I should have made it clear that I was responding to Yelell. I really appreciate your contributions.