Why are playing cards not so popular?

Joermit

Flavio....

I read tarot as well and would take the exact same stance... I tend to take a very spiritually empowering stance on divination... I believe that the information one seeks while consulting any oracle is all inside you or whomever you're reading for... the tool being used, be it playing cards, tarot, oracle decks, etc. are the key to help to unlock that information and get you to consider other options... that is my own personal reading stance... I find playing cards themselves just as specific as tarot, it's the matter of really working with them and learning their intricasies and nuances and then combining that with one's intuition... granted, I can see how their lack of image and visual symbolism might make them seems limiting... but I've found this not to be the case... basically, I believe no divinatory tool has limits unless it is limits you impose upon them... nothing special about tarot cards or playing cards... just pieces of paper with ink on em... it's what you make of them and how you choose to use em... hope that sorta clears up what I meant in my previous post... in managing a major metaphysical bookstore, I've come across many a reader... I've learned over the last couple years what makes the good from the bad... and it all comes down to how you choose to read... basically... I've had to clean up a lot of other readers' poor work... unfortunately, there are scam artists out there and this tends to give reputable and talented readers a bit of a challenge at times... hope that clears things up... thanks...

Joey

SunChariot

I've never tried reading playing cards, but this thread is definitely getting me interested to try.

I was looking it up on the net tonight and found this page:

http://realmagick.com/articles/62/2262.html

Has anyone tried this??? It looks pretty cool to me...

"Gong Hee Fot Choy, "Greeting of Riches," is a divination system utilizing regular playing cards which Margarete Ward, a mystic and world traveler, introduced in her 1935 book. It draws heavily on Chinese and Eastern mysticism for its wisdom. This system uses a board, a book and 32 cards. Jokers, 2's, 3's, 4's, 5's and 6's were discarded and only 7's through to the Ace were utilized. The board and book are divided into 32 houses. Each card has a different meaning depending upon which house it lands, and are detailed in the book. There are 1,024 combinations. The Houses are Compasses, Marriage, Happiness, Enjoyment, Messages, Relatives, Health, Money, Seasons, Friends, Gifts, Moons, Sun, Luck, Wishes, Success, Surprises, Popularity, Abode, Journey, Papers, Vocation, Letters, Trouble, Disappointments, Death, Undertaking, Achievement, Inheritance, Callers, Gratitude and Inquiries. The hearts represent love and friendship; anything of a personal nature. The diamonds represent fortune and riches; papers of any kind. The clubs represent luck wisdom and business. The spades represent the unpleasant things of life. "

Bar

Little Baron

I can only say, without too many details, since I am a little rushed this morning, that I have been getting some of the most spot on readings I have ever done with playing cards. Often, my tarot readings felt dead or too vague, but I am actually sitting up with these readings and thinking 'oh my god'. It almost feels like a trick in some cases because I cannot believe how such specific cards have popped up and described my day. I could not understand my cards yesterday, but by the end of the day, specific things that I did not even imagine would happen, did. And they were exactly how the cards said they would be. It wasn't like 'fittng the cards around the day'. They pretty much mirrored them with no effort at all.

So I shall be continuing this study since I am finding it totally amazing. And I would definitely recommend trying them to anyone. The readings are very lively. And once you have got the hang of it, I could imagine them being a very efficient tool. But I think they will take a little practice. If you just dabble and keep comparing them to tarot, you are quite likely to miss their uniqueness.

LB

Flavio

Joermit said:
Flavio....

I read tarot as well and would take the exact same stance... I tend to take a very spiritually empowering stance on divination... I believe that the information one seeks while consulting any oracle is all inside you or whomever you're reading for... the tool being used, be it playing cards, tarot, oracle decks, etc. are the key to help to unlock that information and get you to consider other options... that is my own personal reading stance... I find playing cards themselves just as specific as tarot, it's the matter of really working with them and learning their intricasies and nuances and then combining that with one's intuition... granted, I can see how their lack of image and visual symbolism might make them seems limiting... but I've found this not to be the case... basically, I believe no divinatory tool has limits unless it is limits you impose upon them... nothing special about tarot cards or playing cards... just pieces of paper with ink on em... it's what you make of them and how you choose to use em... hope that sorta clears up what I meant in my previous post... in managing a major metaphysical bookstore, I've come across many a reader... I've learned over the last couple years what makes the good from the bad... and it all comes down to how you choose to read... basically... I've had to clean up a lot of other readers' poor work... unfortunately, there are scam artists out there and this tends to give reputable and talented readers a bit of a challenge at times... hope that clears things up... thanks...

Joey
Thank you very much for this expalantion, I got your point and understood there much more to get from playing cards but the only way to get it is going deeper into studies about them. From the experience in my city, I've seen playing card readings as something to answer very mundane situations, atually in my Tarot school there was this girl who read professionally pc but she wanted something much more spiritual so she went to study Tarot.

So, from your message I understand she and only she put the limits on her art, thank you again.

Phoenix Rising

LittleBuddha said:
I can only say, without too many details, since I am a little rushed this morning, that I have been getting some of the most spot on readings I have ever done with playing cards. Often, my tarot readings felt dead or too vague, but I am actually sitting up with these readings and thinking 'oh my god'. It almost feels like a trick in some cases because I cannot believe how such specific cards have popped up and described my day. I could not understand my cards yesterday, but by the end of the day, specific things that I did not even imagine would happen, did. And they were exactly how the cards said they would be. It wasn't like 'fittng the cards around the day'. They pretty much mirrored them with no effort at all.

So I shall be continuing this study since I am finding it totally amazing. And I would definitely recommend trying them to anyone. The readings are very lively. And once you have got the hang of it, I could imagine them being a very efficient tool. But I think they will take a little practice. If you just dabble and keep comparing them to tarot, you are quite likely to miss their uniqueness.

LB

HI LB

I have to agree with you totally. I get quite amazed when the cards have shown the scenario to the point. It will take a little time, but once observed the nuances, it will be a very efficient tool. I look forward to the time that other experienced cartomancer, can instantly tell what the cards are saying. But they guarantee that it will happen.

Just another note, when your readings with a certain method, prove to be on the spot, and not with much effort, you know you have the right method. So I recommend you stick to that one. Your subconscious will also show other subtle meanings coming through, therefore you can add to it, or replace the meaning altogether, that is the beauty of the flexible nature of the cards.

Little Baron

Yep, I can see this happening, PR. I am adapting meanings and the courts are slowly finding themselves in people. The whole deck is starting to take shape as I work with it. And I like reading in trios. It is like a sentence, with punctuation, rather than a word that appears out of context. Do you know what I mean?

Anyone that has problems with pip decks should at least give this a try. There is no need for pictures. Infact, I see my own pictures in my mind when I work with the pc's. And they are not clouded by style or symbol.

I was getting sick of 'this could be this' and 'that could be that'. This 'could be him' or 'this could be you'. The playing cards allow you to say 'this is definitely you', this is definitely him' and 'by the way, this is what he is thinking'. And I like that honesty and clarity. I like to 'cut the crap', so to speak and get down to the real nitty-gritty: 'you're going to be hurt today and feel pain, it's highly likely that she will be the one to inflict it and this is what you are going to do about it'.

Not all of the issues brought up are major. Today's, for instance, was a little snippet of information and it didn't even really concern me. It was someone else. So I prepared him for it. Yesterday's was a bigger issue, but I didn't take the card's advice and rode straight into it. I felt the hopelessness and helplessness and depressive qualities of the '4 of Spades'. As soon as 'what happened' happened, I nodded to myself and thought 'this could have been avoided if I had just noted those first two steps/hints/cards.

So yes, as you can see, I am finding it very, very inspiring. And having the invaluable help of Joe, Pheonix Rising and Leo has been great.

LB

Joermit

You're most welcome, Flavio... glad to help...

I think that many see the pcs as useful when dealing with mundane issues... but I have found they are just as good as tarot when dealing with the more spiritual matters as well... it's just a matter of knowing how to properly use them as a tool...

Thanks, littlebuddha as well... I don't feel I'm being much help as I don't know the PP method... played with it a bit, but it wasn't for me... I do think the cards sorta let you know how to work with em... I agree, it's great we have such an awesome group here to work with... kudos to PR, leo, ros, and everyone else who shares an interest in pc divination...

for all of you.... here's a quick though... I have found that my pcs mature very well with me and my reading style... they are not static, and seem to sorta have a very special energy unto themselves... as my reading style changes, they change and conform... letting me know how to use em and helping me... and they're such a wonderful tool... I do love how Deborah Leigh speaks of this in her PP method... I've realized in my own... I don't really have to go by individual meanings of each cards... I lay em out and can feel a the bigger picture and issues, instead of this card means this and that card means that and you put em together and you've got this and that... they're their own little intuitive language... it's wonderful! anyone else found this?? I've worked with tarot for several years now and never seemed to have a connection as I do with pcs... I do feel I'm a wonderful tarot reader, but I feel I really shine with pcs.... dunno why... just curious as to others' thoughts... thanks!

Joey

Phoenix Rising

Hi Joey

I think you are starting to get the "feel" like my cartomancer friends have talked about..when you just know, by just looking at the cards as a whole..we're as I'm still individually putting them together...like a jig-saw puzzle. I think too because of the lack of imagery(which too much imagery can confuse the mind with too much to focus on) we start to rely more on the feel of the message, rather than the logic.

Little Baron

I just wish that soon enough I will be able to remember what each piece of the jigsaw means, lol. I am sure time and practice will bring that to me.

LB

Little Baron

Ordered Deborah Leigh's book today. How has anyone that has read it found it? I liked having the initial information but really wanted to be able to go deeper.

LB