New Planet Discovered

punkangelgcm437

Have yall heard about the new planet NASA discovered? I was watching the news (I know..amazing. They had something interesting that wasnt depressing)...and they showed that they found it waaaay out there somewhere. They said that the planet is in Scorpio is being held in place by 2 stars...and one of them was a white dwarf. I don't remember the stars' names' but I know they said that.

Anybody else have any more info??

Yay it's in Scorpio! Another one of my fave signs LOL.

~Much Love~
~Sarah~

isthmus nekoi

No, I haven't heard of it yet... Sometimes I wish these ppl would stop finding more asteroids and planets - I already have too many to deal with now lol!!

p.s. It's a fave sign of mine, too :)

Minderwiz

I don't think you need to worry about having to incorporate it into your system Isthmus. :)

The planet exists but it is not part of our Solar system. It orbits a star 5600 light years away and has absolutely no Astrological significance.

Yes it is in the constellation of Scorpius but this is NOT the zodiac sign of Scorpio, whether you use the Western Tropical Zodiac or even the Eastern Sidereal zodiac. There is a great difference between the Zodiac of Astrology - 12 equal signs of 30 degrees each - and the observable 'constellations, which are neither the same size, nor are continuous (they often overlap).

Incidentally from our point of veiw it will remain in the constellation of Scorpius - it will not fulfill the basic requirements of a planet - the ability to 'wander'

DarkElectric

No, it's trapped now. It is important to scientists, though, because chronologically, it's one of the oldest ones ever discovered, if not THE oldest.
It was apparently dragged from it's orbit, and is now stuck between stars.

However, it's discovery is causing a stir among cosmologists. This strongly suggests that there may have been an Earth like planet, (or more than one) possibly cabable of sustaining some kind of life, in the initial solar system this poor, wandering gas giant was once part of.

bluestar

oldest? planet discovery

well this sort of thing tickles me... I am interested in the fixed stars (and trying to begin integrating them into my understanding of my/others natal charts......which I am finding fascinating...!)

In my generallll understanding, new discoveries point to energies which are ready to be brought into consciousness?

And it does get my interest that if it did break off from another potentially life sustaining system and to get stuck in our sign of the underworld!

I will have to listen to some news, but if anyone knows which stars it is stuck to I would love to find out!

punkangelgcm437

Bluestar...
I read on NASAs website that it's somewhere around M4 (I have no idea what that is...but it might mean something to you).

***Warning Strong Opinons Below***

Ah-ha yes...I remember...it doesnt move...meaning probably not a big thing for astrologers. The only way I could see it being important is if it was aspected with another planet in someones' chart. I guess it's more valuable to scientists...trying to figure out how our universe happened. Why cant they study something you can find the anwser to...like AIDS or Cancer (disease not sign lol)...I mean...dude. No-one knows how our universe formed and I think I'd rather cure some deadly disease than spend my life lookin at therorys that will never be solved. Psh...if I only I had some sort of leadership power...

**Note to everyone...sorry if I offended anyone...and hopefully I wont get my a$$ kicked for doggin on those people.**

~Much Love~
~Sarah~

HudsonGray

Last I'd heard, astronomers were able to find & verify at least 65 gas giant planets so far, based on how the sun wobbled & actions of gas clouds nearby mostly, though they do have images of some of them. This was about 2 years ago, so I'm sure there's been more added to it.

Not sure if I'd read that in Discovery magasine or National Geographic or Smithsonian, but it was a reputable magazine.

I found this dated July 11th --- http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20030711/ap_on_sc/ancient_planet_5

bluestar

Thanks so much for the info and the link.
...and I'll keep you posted if it leads me to a cure for world hunger and disease! lol! I feel as passionately about the excessive attention given to sport in the news.

truthsayer

punkangel(sarah), you didn't bother me but i thought i would share my opinions why more people aren't into medical research.

i suppose the reason that some people choose to study the stars instead disease goes back to personal interests--we are free to choose whatever occupation that truly interests us. there have also been discoveries from studying space that have helped other areas of science. (can't think of one at the moment but i know there are some! LOL)

if the government assigned careers instead of individuals choosing, i suppose we could have more researchers in medicine but there'd be some vocationally frustrated people who'd rather be studying the stars. medical science is a very demanding career choice and requires a level of personal commitment that not everyone is capable of doing.

i have a vocational aptitude that i could succeed in nursing but my aptitude in the arts is the highest. so i tried nursing and hated it! then i went into the arts. i love it but compared to nursing, the arts is a useless career. i would be very unhappy being a nurse even though i would be doing something more purposeful to humanity. i'm happy that i have the freedom to choose the career right for me. life is good. :)

moderator, sorry if this is slightly off topic. it's fine if you need to move or delete it.

bluestar

I dare say that there would probably be info on medical research connected to space research on the nasa site, if you click on the link given by HudsonGrey above! I was there just before and there was articles on bones, bacteria, viruses... perhaps something to suggest their work includes things relevant at ground level too!
Btw there was an interesting article on the "definition" of life there...sorry to stray from the topic!