Favorite Thoth Clone?

foolMoon

My favorite Thothy deck has to be Tarot of Ceremonial Magic and Liber T.

Having said that, the more Thothy decks I look for, and use them, the more I seem to feel that Thoth Tarot is unique. Even if Liber T art being similar to Thoth deck, they are not on the same plane. Plus it uses many different titles for the minor cards such as sceptres for wands etc.

Tarot of Ceremonial Magic is very close to Thoth deck in most of the titles of the cards, the association of the spirits to each cards, interpretations in the book, and all the undercurrent ideas are the Thoth. Even Book of Thoth can be used as its textbook quite easily. However, the art is not the Thoth tarot. So it does not feel as Thothy deck as such.

Thoth tarot is a unique deck. What makes it so unique, I thought about it. Its the all the elements in the system i.e. The art, its connections to the GD and modifications, the Egyptian mythologies and religion, and Thelema.

All above are prerequisite to Thoth tarot. Even if one is missing, it doesn't feel quite legitimate Thothy.

Perhaps the only true Thothy deck is, the Thoth tarot itself.

Thoughtful

Perhaps the only true Thothy deck is, the Thoth tarot itself.

It surely has to be, no question. The one and only true Thoth.

l have looked at other Thoth based decks but as the saying goes "why have burgers when you can have a T bone steak."

The RWS has many clones and delightful they are, they bring understanding to many who otherwise find the RWS rather dry and uninspiring (as l do/did).

The Thoth is in a class of its own, its alive full of meaning and positively glows with knowledge. The Thoth imho does not need any clones. A clone only eases the feelings perhaps of being bored with the original. That can never happen there is so much to learn, always something more to glean, it leads you further on in a magical journey which never ends.

l am only at the beginning of my journey with Thoth and l look forward to the never ending journey. This without interruption or even a sideways glance at a clone.

Michael Sternbach

It surely has to be, no question. The one and only true Thoth.

l have looked at other Thoth based decks but as the saying goes "why have burgers when you can have a T bone steak."

The RWS has many clones and delightful they are, they bring understanding to many who otherwise find the RWS rather dry and uninspiring (as l do/did).

The Thoth is in a class of its own, its alive full of meaning and positively glows with knowledge. The Thoth imho does not need any clones. A clone only eases the feelings perhaps of being bored with the original. That can never happen there is so much to learn, always something more to glean, it leads you further on in a magical journey which never ends.

l am only at the beginning of my journey with Thoth and l look forward to the never ending journey. This without interruption or even a sideways glance at a clone.

What I like about some of the so-called clones is that they amplify what is only implied in the Thoth, i.e. the decans in the case of the Liber T, and the spirits in the Ceremonial Magic. As a beginner, you may be less inclined to explore such things. But studying the Thoth since nearly 30 years, I sometimes enjoy those supplementary views on it.

foolMoon

Good points. More Thoth clone decks make us appreciate Thoth deck more.

It all seems add to increasing interest and popularity of Thoth tarot as well as helping in study and understanding the topic.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

fractalgranny

i never quite understood clones. i guess it depends what we mean by clones. i personally see no reason to have, say, more than one version of the RWS (e.g., a re-coloured one). however, when i get a new deck, i'm always interested in what tradition inspired the deck.

in my observation, there are some that are almost oracles, all they do is follow a tarot or tarot-like structure; lots of decks have some cards that can easily be seen to follow a tradition (usually RWS) but other cards seem to be entirely related to the creator's ideas; and then, the majority i've encountered are decks that seem to lean quite obviously on RWS, marseille or thoth for their creation.

having said that, i'd like to add some thoth "leaners" to the list: langustl (which uses a combination of thoth and RWS ideas but to me the feeling is more thoth like); universal miller; and vision quest. like others, among other things, i find it easier to make at least an attempt at plumbing the depths of the thoth when i have other interpretations to look at. i actually never even dared to touch the thoth until i got the hermetic tarot, it sort of allowed me a peek under the covers :) (and then i got duquette's book on understanding the thoth, phew, that made a difference! although i can't imagine that i will ever be particularly knowledgeable about the thoth)

after all of this, i guess i should answer the question on the thread: my favourite thoth-inspired deck is the rosetta.

and - oops, it seems there is a threa already with a list of "thothy" decks: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=60271