Wow, what an awful RWS print from China

Sandalwood

Hi :)

Just wanted to share (for whomever didn't know) that if you buy your Rider Waite online to check the publishing date. Landed myself a pretty poorly printed one (China 1993).
I only bought this deck to use as examples so I'm not too bummed. But still, do check your edition before you buy :) Especially if it will be your first one.

feynrir

Hi :)

Just wanted to share (for whomever didn't know) that if you buy your Rider Waite online to check the publishing date. Landed myself a pretty poorly printed one (China 1993).
I only bought this deck to use as examples so I'm not too bummed. But still, do check your edition before you buy :) Especially if it will be your first one.

Curious as to what makes this one so especially bad compared to other editions/prints!

Colors, linework off-center, cardstock troubles?

Because to me most modern RWS decks by US Games are not of my standard of quality. But then, it is the most widely printed deck in North America at least

Sandalwood

Curious as to what makes this one so especially bad compared to other editions/prints!

Colors, linework off-center, cardstock troubles?

Because to me most modern RWS decks by US Games are not of my standard of quality. But then, it is the most widely printed deck in North America at least

Maybe I'm spoiled with my old deck.
This one: especially the colours & line work. Card stock is fine & firm. It's colours are very dark. Some cards look almost smudged. Worst cards I've seen so far are Justice & King of Pentacles. Can hardly see his robe and the drawings on it - looks like a black/yellow/grape blot and justice just looks like someone scraped over the colours with sand paper and then put it under a 1 cent copier in a supermarket where it had been doing heavy service for the past 12 years.

Is there anyway I can upload a picture here?

tarotbear

When you open the 'post reply' screen it's at the bottom - 'additional options' ---> 'manage attachments'. You have to upload it and wait for it to tell you it has been uploaded.

Sandalwood

Thanks tarotbear! I think it worked. Let's see.

---- no it didn't ----
Trying again. I could see it in the attachement.

Sandalwood

Part 2

Picture:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 333

rwcarter

That's quite the difference Sandalwood. About 4 years ago I looked for a China print yellow-box RWS and couldn't find one and haven't given it a second thought since. I might have to try again just so I can see how bad it is for myself.

Amanda

That is... pretty distinct. Woah.
I really wish they would reprint the printing I have so I can get another. :(

Sandalwood

That's quite the difference Sandalwood. About 4 years ago I looked for a China print yellow-box RWS and couldn't find one and haven't given it a second thought since. I might have to try again just so I can see how bad it is for myself.

I know.
Lol. Well, I'm sure there are plenty copies left ;) I can PM you where I found mine.
It reads fine by the way - just checked if out. Other cards are ok-ish, but a few, especially the majors are too dark to get the details.

That is... pretty distinct. Woah.
I really wish they would reprint the printing I have so I can get another. :(

Yes, pretty much, lol. Which one do you have?

Amanda

Yes, pretty much, lol. Which one do you have?

I have the 54th printing that came out of Switzerland. I attempted to buy another a few years ago, and it was too glossy (came out of Italy).