Celtic Astrology and the Future

Bernice

crystal dawn said:
Hi all
I have a book on celtic astrology and its brilliant. The book I have is by Helena Paterson and talks alot about the celtic belief system and it is a lunar based astrology designed to compliment solar astrology.........snip.......

On a final note I believe that we are all free to work with our own systems, traditional astrology needs to be learned and learned well and from there we can develop our own uniquie system if we wish or work with other systems as long as we have a clear understanding of the basics. Remember we are all individuals after all and must work with things that we are drawn to without that, our individualism dies.

blessed be

crystal dawn
However, as far back as I have looked, I can find no 'real' celtic astrology.

But for celtic lore/traditions (mostly re-created last century) the book by Kaledon Naddair is a very rich source, "Keltic Folk and Faerie Tales". It goes into the symbolism of minerals, birds, animals and green-life and places them on the celtic calendar wheel. Also discusses the ToL, and gives the shamanistic slant on it :)

Bee :)

ravenest

I wish i could remember her name ... Mrs. ??? who apparently wrote a book some time ago (wich i havent been able to track down. Apparently she has marked out some of the earth works in Britan and is suggesting these represent old glyphs for the constellations - going on memory ... there is a giant horse, a man with a club and ??? ) and when they are all put together they make a zodoac.

Interesting, except the source book where I found the ref was pretty insane! ( England was the original Atlantis, the author says; there always was and always will be an England :laugh: - So i took it with a grain of salt but I would like to see the original (with star maps laid out over the earthworks ?).

If anyones curious I could look it up and get the name of the book and the author.

Minderwiz

By all means to Ravenest, that sounds interesting - probably a fruitcake but worth checking out.

I must admit to being very sceptical when it comes to modern takes on what is often a romanticised view of the past, or even worse claiming ancient authority for what is essentially somebody's latest idea -the number of times I've come across someone claiming 'the wisdom of the last three thousand years' to support an Astrological idea invented 50 years ago and with no previous astrological provenance at all would fill a very thick book.

However my objection is to 'fraudulent' or specious claims, which is, I think Bee's point. Astrology is a dynamic art and it has changed and evolved over its lifetime. Some of these changes prove fruitful, others prove to be a dead end. I've nothing against someone adopting or inventing a new technique, as long as they make it clear that they are indeed doing something quite new - it may indeed prove to be very useful and as Oein says, all systems start somewhere. When we meet such claims we tend to be more careful and critical and more willing to test thoroughly before we accept and that is a good thing.

Bernice

I think the book may be about the Glastonbury 'zodiac';

http://zodiactours.co.uk/zodiacDetail.php

Move your mouse over the the first little image on the right to see an enlargment of the 'zodiac' earth-marks. It is said that if a lady wishes to conceive, she should sit on the Giants nether regions..... chuckling... :)

I was more interested in the findings by some students that the river Nile mirrors the Milky Way. Even the early pyramids are placed where 'stars' are.
But I've never heard anything more about that.

eta:
Minderwiz: However my objection is to 'fraudulent' or specious claims, which is, I think Bee's point.
Yes, this is what I was trying to convey. Unfortunately when the 'new age' blossomed so too did the commercial prospects for all things 'magical', Celtic Lore along with Native American, the Craft (in many cobbled together varieties), and several other paths, all flooded into the public arena, and only a small percentage could be deemed authentic.

ravenest

Oh yeah,thats her; Mrs Maltwood-and I believe it was refered to as the Somerset Zodiac. ThanksB.I'l lhave to have a read of that site.

crystal dawn

Bernice said:
However, as far back as I have looked, I can find no 'real' celtic astrology.

Have you read Helena Patersons book on celtic astrology?

crystal dawn

Its interesting how some of the (negative) comments seem to be be so anti-celtic astrology, yet the evidence is there, you just have to know where to look.

The book of ballymoate,the song of amergin which are all aunthenicated ancient celtic scripts mention an astrological celtic tree calendar. Also Roderick O'Flahertys book ogygia talks about the same celtic tree calendar based on a lunar system.

Celtic astrology is a lunar based system, the western system is mainly a solar based one and the two systems can work togeather suprisingly well.

As for runic astrology there is just as much evidence to support that this is a valid system.

There is also evidence to support the egyptian zodiac, - in hathors temple at dendera where the egyptian zodiac covers the whole cealing in one of the rooms there.

And we all must have heard of by now about the mayan calendar, or calendars as they had two which they worked togeather, one lunar based and the other solar based.

Is it so hard for us to accept that other cultures had their own astrological systems and calendars that are different from the western calendar and astrological system that we know today.

blessed be

crystal dawn

ATrickyBusiness

crystal dawn said:
Its interesting how some of the (negative) comments seem to be be so anti-celtic astrology, yet the evidence is there, you just have to know where to look.

The book of ballymoate,the song of amergin which are all aunthenicated ancient celtic scripts mention an astrological celtic tree calendar. Also Roderick O'Flahertys book ogygia talks about the same celtic tree calendar based on a lunar system.

Celtic astrology is a lunar based system, the western system is mainly a solar based one and the two systems can work togeather suprisingly well.

As for runic astrology there is just as much evidence to support that this is a valid system.

There is also evidence to support the egyptian zodiac, - in hathors temple at dendera where the egyptian zodiac covers the whole cealing in one of the rooms there.

And we all must have heard of by now about the mayan calendar, or calendars as they had two which they worked togeather, one lunar based and the other solar based.

Is it so hard for us to accept that other cultures had their own astrological systems and calendars that are different from the western calendar and astrological system that we know today.

blessed be

crystal dawn

Both the Runic and Celtic astrologies have been proven to be fabrications, and most of the versions of Mayan and Egyptian astrology presented by most occult and pagan publishers are thoroughly of the modern, not authentic variety. Having a lunar calendar doesn't equal having a complex predictive system in place.