Everyday Witch Tarot delayed until Feb 2017

Luna's Crone

Because of Aeric's message, I thought maybe I should list what male cards there are in the deck, and whether or no they have hats etc. Doing this for others who also may worry about the ratio.

Cards featuring men in this deck: Page Cups (witch hat, broom and cape), Ten Cups, 4 Pents, 6 Pents, Devil, Lovers, 4 Cups, Six Cups (witch hat), Page of Swords (books and broom) Knight Swords (riding broom, cape), Knight Cups (riding broom, cape), King Swords (cape), Two Cups (witch hat and cat of his own), Magician (cat of his own), King Wands (cape and cat), Three of Pents, Ten Pents (cats, brooms), Page Pents (cat, broom, cloak), Knight Pents (cat, broom), Two of Wands (cloak, two cats), King Pents, King Cups (cat, broom, cloak), Emperor (cat, cloak), Page Wands (cat, broom, witch hat), Knight Wands (cat, witch hat, cloak, broom).

So yes, while the majority of cards are women, still, many light-hearted men in this deck with witches hats and brooms ;) I think Silver Witch has more men in the cards, if I recall.

I got mine today and I am just madly in love! It's great - cheerful and cheeky, refreshing and light, while still mostly keeping to the traditional RWS theme. The box is lovely (magnetic snap book box) the book is glossy, the pages have lovely borders. The tone is wise yet light and optimistic. The card stock is decent, mat, shuffles well. The cards have no borders on them. The deck has a nice weight to it for shuffling.

My fave cards so far are the Tower, the Emperor (cause...German Shepherd dog), Strength, World; 9 Pents. I haven't had time to study each card in great detail, but this looks like a fun and interesting deck - a breath of fresh air in these politically heavy and dark times! The deck reminds me of spring and summer.

I like the deck too, but i thought the cards very flimsy, i was worried about shuffling them.

Padma

I like the deck too, but i thought the cards very flimsy, i was worried about shuffling them.

Really? While I found them to be flex-y, I didn't worry about shuffling. And they have a nice shuffling feel, to me. I guess that is a personal thing, maybe? I know we all have our own idea of what a satisfying shuffle is. ;)

Essjay

Really? While I found them to be flex-y, I didn't worry about shuffling. And they have a nice shuffling feel, to me. I guess that is a personal thing, maybe? I know we all have our own idea of what a satisfying shuffle is. ;)

Do you have the Modern Spellcasters? Am wondering if it's the same cardstock as I like that.

HannaKonda

The card stock feels very much like the original mythic tarot to me- thin and slippery. Its actually just a little bit thicker than the original mythic. (I have both decks and stood them next to each other). I've been shuffling the everyday witch daily for just over a week now, and I think they are breaking in nicely. They're already less slippery. Not sure what kind of card stock they used, but its definitely different. The edges aren't white, they're gray with a kind of plasticy playing card feel to them. I'm a rough shuffler and they are not bowing or bending at all. The nice thing is that the deck is thin so they fit nicely into a much smaller zipper pouch than I have for other decks and that makes them easy to carry around.

I like the companion book a lot. The writer seems to have geared it for beginners. Her writing style is conversational so it reads very much like an older, wiser wittchy mom type showing you how to read tarot. The book is whimisical and light without coming across as flippant about tarot, if that makes sense. There's plenty of note pages inserted throughout.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Aeric

Because of Aeric's message, I thought maybe I should list what male cards there are in the deck, and whether or no they have hats etc. Doing this for others who also may worry about the ratio.
Thank you. I stand corrected and take back almost the entire post. This will teach me to find shots of the whole deck first, and I did.

I like that a couple of the men are in full Practical Magic getup with pointed hat, stripey pants, cat and broomstick. Literally just a gender shift from the women's costumes. I think 3 of Wands, Knight of Wands, and 6 of Cups are my favourites. I'm happy that not at all of them are going for the shaggy-haired, hatless Harry Potter-playing-Quidditch vibe.

I quite like the deck now and would definitely get a copy!

Padma

Do you have the Modern Spellcasters? Am wondering if it's the same cardstock as I like that.

No, sorry, Essjay, I do not have Modern Spellcasters, so I can't help you there! :heart:

Thank you. I stand corrected and take back almost the entire post. This will teach me to find shots of the whole deck first, and I did.

I like that a couple of the men are in full Practical Magic getup with pointed hat, stripey pants, cat and broomstick. Literally just a gender shift from the women's costumes. I think 3 of Wands, Knight of Wands, and 6 of Cups are my favourites. I'm happy that not at all of them are going for the shaggy-haired, hatless Harry Potter-playing-Quidditch vibe.

I am glad I was able to help you (and others) out on that score, because you had a very valid concern. :heart: I too believe that people on a mass scale should be included, whether in regard to gender, non-gender, chosen gender, color, age, looks, body-type, age etc. I was very pleased to see the men for the most part had the traditional witches' costume, as well, and weren't turned into Druids or whatever.

One thing that DOES bother me about the deck: Everyone is white. I know that Pagan witchcraft as we know it was born from Anglo-Saxon roots - but still. Our planet is now so inter-tribal, that other colours/races should have been included. Rant over! ;)

Aeric

I'm so tired of the the constant male robed Druid/Wizard look. Harry Potter did some damage defining the look of a male magic user for pop culture!

Worse, men are branded everything under the sun except witch. We are priests, occultists, magicians, wizards, mages, sorcerers, warlocks, and whitelighters. We are Gandalf, Merlin, Dumbledore. But we can never be witches, because women have been locked into the automatic association. Harry Potter himself is rarely/never called a witch. But women aren't the problem; it's that to call a man a witch associates him with something so largely female in pop culture that he risks being seen as effeminate, weak, gay, whatever. That reinforces the macho stereotype that women should stick to being that, and leave proper men to be the opposite. It's a disservice to both when they avoid depicting men as such.

Also, male magic users don't call on the Goddess or female deities. They summon demons in books of black magic, or ancient gods from before time. They walk an ambiguous line between good and evil and always risk falling into evil darkness. They are Constantine and the Supernatural boys. They can't be happy and jovial, casting magic and being in tune with Nature or Mother Earth. They rarely use their magic to heal or inspire but are more than happy to use it to manipulate.

I've been fighting this silly macho stereotype my whole life and am happy that a fun witchy deck has started disrupting the norm.

Padma

I've been fighting this silly macho stereotype my whole life and am happy that a fun witchy deck has started disrupting the norm.

Good for you, Aeric! :love: I am of the same opinion as you on that front. Let's hear it for equality in the modern world!

DaughterOfDanu

In the companion book the author also says "There are also some figures that are left purposefully androgynous, in the hope that everyone will feel included and see themselves somewhere in these cards." So there was some effort made on her part to make the deck inclusive to everyone :) Just wanted to add that little tidbit in.

It appears to be the same cardstock. I just compared my copies and they feel virtually the same.

EmpressArwen

I'm so tired of the the constant male robed Druid/Wizard look. Harry Potter did some damage defining the look of a male magic user for pop culture!

Worse, men are branded everything under the sun except witch. We are priests, occultists, magicians, wizards, mages, sorcerers, warlocks, and whitelighters. We are Gandalf, Merlin, Dumbledore. But we can never be witches, because women have been locked into the automatic association. Harry Potter himself is rarely/never called a witch. But women aren't the problem; it's that to call a man a witch associates him with something so largely female in pop culture that he risks being seen as effeminate, weak, gay, whatever. That reinforces the macho stereotype that women should stick to being that, and leave proper men to be the opposite. It's a disservice to both when they avoid depicting men as such.

Also, male magic users don't call on the Goddess or female deities. They summon demons in books of black magic, or ancient gods from before time. They walk an ambiguous line between good and evil and always risk falling into evil darkness. They are Constantine and the Supernatural boys. They can't be happy and jovial, casting magic and being in tune with Nature or Mother Earth. They rarely use their magic to heal or inspire but are more than happy to use it to manipulate.

Interesting! All the male Wiccans that I know refer to themselves and others refer to them as witches.

As for the deck, I love it! It's yet another one on my ever growing wishlist. :(