Tarot Deck Creation Question

reall

I like idea 2in1!^^ Oracle & Tarot in one!^^ did same with my lenormand!^^:))
you need promotion and social media included from the start!:)) looking forward to see how will you do that?!:)) btw I have a feeling I stumbled over some fantastic art on DA yesterday that could be from this deck?:) not sure, it's probably just a coincidence!:)) so be sure to link us with official web page when out!^^:))

draque

I like idea 2in1!^^ Oracle & Tarot in one!^^ did same with my lenormand!^^:))
you need promotion and social media included from the start!:)) looking forward to see how will you do that?!:)) btw I have a feeling I stumbled over some fantastic art on DA yesterday that could be from this deck?:) not sure, it's probably just a coincidence!:)) so be sure to link us with official web page when out!^^:))

Unless my artist is jumping ahead of herself, I don't think! I'm curious though, could you link me?

AJ

With out the suit of coins your other three suits would not be able to show results. Have you ever seen a three legged race?

reall

Unless my artist is jumping ahead of herself, I don't think! I'm curious though, could you link me?
sorry my bad I just checked and it was just some illustration art not deck!;))

btw another important thing we ofter forget is DISTRIBUTION!:)) it's good to do some research and see how do you plan to sell your decks/make it available on market for people to actually see and buy?:)) do you have a distributor? shops? who are willing to do that for you?:)) or are you taking all that on yourself?:))

draque

With out the suit of coins your other three suits would not be able to show results. Have you ever seen a three legged race?

To read the deck I'm working on in its native state, there are unique meanings to the cards. As I said before, they are *not* equivalent to the suits found in a typical Tarot deck. It is not simply removing the suit of coins, because they do not match up 1:1.

The conversion cards I'm planning on adding will allow people to add an additional suit and remove some key cards to treat the deck I'm working on as a typical Tarot set. Right now I'm working to order the cards in such a way that their iconography will line up whether you're using them as the custom Oracle deck or as a typical Tarot dock.

draque

sorry my bad I just checked and it was just some illustration art not deck!;))

btw another important thing we ofter forget is DISTRIBUTION!:)) it's good to do some research and see how do you plan to sell your decks/make it available on market for people to actually see and buy?:)) do you have a distributor? shops? who are willing to do that for you?:)) or are you taking all that on yourself?:))

Ah, no worries! I'm exploring a number of different distribution methods, but am not as far with that as I am with figuring out printing. On a small scale, I've got quite a few ideas, but I haven't found any online retailer that's responded to me yet. Do you happen to know any that people here have had luck with?

McFaire

Ah, no worries! I'm exploring a number of different distribution methods, but am not as far with that as I am with figuring out printing. On a small scale, I've got quite a few ideas, but I haven't found any online retailer that's responded to me yet. Do you happen to know any that people here have had luck with?

Just about any store that carries Tarot will offer your deck if people want to buy it. The wholesale pricing they pay to a small publisher depends on various factors but is usually expressed as a percentage "discount" off the suggested retail price of the deck. For example, Amazon might pay you 40% of retail (60% discount).

Many small publishers don't use retailers much if at all. They sell directly to customers from their own site, eBay, Etsy, or from print-on-demand sites.

There is also the option when selling on Amazon to sell as a third-party seller, meaning Amazon doesn't buy the decks from you. They facilitate the sale, take a smaller percentage, and you fill the order yourself.

gregory

OR use a POD service like printerstudio - which will make your deck much more attractive internationally - as they drop-ship to hubs all over the world, which means no customs payments are due.

It also means they are only printed as they are ordered - you don't have to do a THING - you upload your stuff, note how much percentage you want to take, and they do the rest. OR you can use them, but take orders on YOUR site, place the orders there on behalf of your buyers and they still do all the work and the shipping.

witchofglass

So you're completely unable to interpret readings that don't have all four suits in them, then? Because that's what this message implies. Cards that aren't pulled in a reading are in the box of "may or may not exist" - whether they exist or not has no impact on the cards that are drawn. If I pulled all the pentacles out of my deck, I'd still be able to read with it. I might have to get imaginative to make up for the missing meanings, but it sounds like OP is already doing that.

I'm not even sure why you're bringing up the three legged race comparison, honestly. It doesn't make sense as a metaphor. A three legged race between the tarot suits would be saying "wands and swords have exactly the same meaning across the board," because a three legged race is combining two legs into a single leg, not removing a leg entirely.

gregory

I don't know about AJ, but - sure I could. But I wouldn't feel it was a tarot reading, with so many cards pulled. As someone said way back up the thread - a tarot deck has a quite specific structure, and part of that is four suits. Adding a suit is one thing (though I don't much like it) - but removing one is something else. I think it does unbalance things. Much would be missing.

It's exactly the kind of thing that made me say it wouldn't really interest me in the first place - because it isn't going to be a tarot deck.