Study Group Post 1- Houses (general information)

214red

le.jour.obscurcit said:
Like I said, it's personal moreso than anything. However I do think that the emotional and motherly traits of Cancer - that is in a certain respect synonymous with the 4th house - is representative of the Mother Figure, however this may be perceived as a fairly conservative point of view. The "Archetypal" figure I suppose.
its a point of view and you have alot of support for that view, lots of the books seem to of the same view also.

how does it figure in your natal chart, do you feel it represents your mother?

firecatpickles

I would agree with Cancer being in the House concerning the mother if it weren't for Jupiter ruling it.

214red

Kilted Kat said:
I would agree with Cancer being in the House concerning the mother if it weren't for Jupiter ruling it.
Does this ring true with your chart?

firecatpickles

No, my Jupiter is in Libra; but Jupiter rules the fourth house and therefore the fourth house shares some Jupiterian characteristics.

Minderwiz

Kilted Kat said:
No, my Jupiter is in Libra; but Jupiter rules the fourth house and therefore the fourth house shares some Jupiterian characteristics.

Hi Kat,

Sorry to shove in another interjection but this is simply for clarification. When you say that Jupiter rules 'the fourth house' are you referning to your own chart (that is Sagittarius or Pisces on the fourth cusp)?

Another issue to hold in the background is the nature of 'rulership' in Astrology which is a rather confusing area. For the moment it's perhaps simply worth making a distinction between signs (and by extension houses) and things generally. It's probably less confusing if we simply use the word 'ruler' in the sense of sign rulership. For things, it's easier to use the word ,symbol', or ,significator'. That should avoid some confusion too. And can someone smack my wrist if I don't keep to that LOL

firecatpickles

Jupiter is, in general, ruler or significator of the fourth house. Hence the reason I could *never* feel that the fourth house is "home of the mother."

Personally I am a Cancer. Jupiter is in Libra in my chart.

Minderwiz

Thanks Kat,

Not sure if anyone wishes to comment on your statement, or put forward an alternative view.

One other thing that occurs to me, is that it might also help participants if people could give their sources, for any statements, or give their reasoning for statements, if it isn't something you've read or seen somewhere.

I know that's a little academic but it does help to share knowledge sources within the group

firecatpickles

My primary source is George Llewellyn's A to Z Horoscope Maker and Delineator. It is a true dinosaur both in age and size but I love it!

olivia1

Minderwiz said:
I'd just echo Nik's point above:

Please post your opinion with reasons, That ensures that you've done some Astrological study for the study group LOL.

lol, my problem is I've done a lot of study on the houses (after all, I'm really into horary astrology these days so studying it is how I spend my days) but the only explanation I have for my answer is, "that's what it says in both of my books." I don't even understand yet, the rational behind most of it. So, I'll just be reading along...I just wanted to put that out there that I have been studying, even though I'm quiet. Unless you dont care that all my answers are from the book?

Minderwiz

Just say which book you've taken things from Olivia. Others might not have read them and I certainly haven't read everything that's been published -I've not read George Llewellyn's A-Z for example, so I too can learn things from the thread. I'd cerrtainly love to know what his reasoning for Jupiter as ruler of the fourth is - my guess it that it's because Jupiter is exalted in Cancer but I could well be wrong. Jupiter is a masculine planet (along with Sun Mars and Saturn) so clearly would not be a good 'mother' significator. If anyone can thing of a response to that (and there is one) please post and it's a fairly straightforward rejoinder.

Spreading the sources can be very helpful. It can also help people to choose any further reading they want to do.