Intensive Deck Study Support Lounge - Part V

kabang

Okay I'm typing on my phone here, so I hope I am coherent.

Does anyone have any thoughts about order of card study? Methodical versus random, etc? I'm leaning a little toward studying the cards in order but that seems rather stifling. Decisions, decisions. Suggestions?

Ooph that took awhile to type. I miss my laptop.

Mellaenn

Hi, kabang. I was doing a random daily draw but then I was just jumping around too much (for me, from a studying point of view), so now I have started to just focus on the Minors, specifically the courts first as per Zan's suggestion as he just trod the Haindl path before me.

I also chose the minors because I got a disproportionate number of them in my daily draws. So...I study the cards I planned to study each day, then do a daily draw just for fun.

Bat Chicken

zan_chan said:
Must must must must must trim!

Did I mention that you must trim?

I had never trimmed a deck before my Haindl either and was very nervous to do so. But once I did, I never looked back. Trimming is what turned "the Haindl" into Hermann for me :heart: The gray borders are hideous and wash out all the beautifully colored nuances to be found in Hermann's images. The keywords are also fairly unnecessary - that's what the books are for!

Trim!

When I get home tonight, I'll post some pics of mine. It's glorious (if not a bit, um, roughed up after being incessantly shuffled - seriously, non-stop - for half a year :p
And what about the Thoth?? :bugeyed:

thorhammer

Bat Chicken said:
And what about the Thoth?? :bugeyed:
You should have one trimmed and one untrimmed :D Both should be large ones. LOL

\m/ Kat

Bat Chicken

I have two large - and am thanking thee for the courage to cut... My project for tomorrow... and likely longer!

thorhammer

Bat Chicken said:
I have two large - and am thanking thee for the courage to cut... My project for tomorrow... and likely longer!
Same advice I give everyone trimming - do the short sides first to make the long sides shorter, make sure you've got good strong but diffuse natural light, and don't do more than ten or so in a sitting. Oh, and really good sharp, long scissors so you can do it in one swipe.

Faolainn Storm

I had been studying diligently on my IDS, at least up until about two weeks ago. Then I began to hit a point of real doubt. As a result I have spent the last two weeks trying to decide what to do next. The honest truth is I am still very much undecided.

I have several problems with my IDS. First, the Tarot of the Sidhe – I love this deck, but haven’t done any work with it, as it is only the majors and I really feel that it require a full deck to do it any justice. And now it appears likely that I will have to wait even longer than it originally seemed to get the full deck. :( So that bit has gone nowhere.

On to the Greenwood. Here I find my biggest problems. I love the Greenwood and it will always be close to my heart, as one of my favourite decks. But I have several issues with it, and I am still not certain whether I will be able to overcome these issues and continue with this deck. Or if I should concede that we are not suited and move on.

The two main problems are:
1. Approach: The more I work with the Greenwood, the more I have come to realise that this deck and I approach the world from two very different standpoints. I am fire and air and the Greenwood is earth and water. I am impulsive and intellectual, while it is experiential and emotional. And I am the least earthy person you are ever likely to meet. It wants me to experience it, to work with it in physical ways – to meditate with it, read with it, take it for walks in nature (I don’t even care for gardening, my idea of nature is a pot plant). That is not me. I want to read about it, think about it, talk about it. We are suffering a major personality clash.

2. Structure: Or perhaps I should say Foundation to the Structure. The Greenwood has a wonderful structure, the Wheel of the Year, which is very well created. It holds together very well, and I have not been able to find any real holes or flaws in the structure, itself. (There are weak spots in the execution of some of the cards, but my feeling with them, is that they are a result of a lack of time for the creation. The more I work with the Greenwood, the more I feel that Chesca ran out of time while working on the Minors, which has resulted in about a third of them being rushed, and therefore they seem to show less originality, and don’t match the vision of the rest of her creation.)
The problem is that I tried to dig down under the structure, and find its foundations. Only to discover – there really aren’t any. Nothing that it is based on goes back any further than the 19th century. Now I have no problems with the fact that the structure of the Greenwood was wholly created by Chesca, 20 or so years ago. As I said, what she created is wonderful and complete, with no real flaws. And it’s not like it’s the only tarot deck/system that was wholly created by someone. My problem is I am a history freak. I love reading up about history, and to be honest I don’t think much that has happened last three hundred years is particularly interesting.

So I went digging for the history, and found it has no history. Which has caused my current crisis. How do I reconcile my need for history with something that has none? Yet I have never had this problem Tarot in general – which also has little to no history beyond the 19th century.

Anyway, the result is that I have decided to stop IDSing for the moment. I do want to continue, but I think I need some time to decide what to do next. I have a few ideas, but I am really not certain. Hopefully I will be able to renew my commitments in a few weeks

Sorry for the long post
FS

Wendywu

Faolainn Storm said:
1. Approach: The more I work with the Greenwood, the more I have come to realise that this deck and I approach the world from two very different standpoints. I am fire and air and the Greenwood is earth and water. I am impulsive and intellectual, while it is experiential and emotional. And I am the least earthy person you are ever likely to meet. It wants me to experience it, to work with it in physical ways – to meditate with it, read with it, take it for walks in nature (I don’t even care for gardening, my idea of nature is a pot plant). That is not me. I want to read about it, think about it, talk about it. We are suffering a major personality clash.FS

This makes such sense to me - I am the earthy/experiential type and flinch away from some of the decks that require intense intellectual study :D One day I will be walking in the woods with my Greenwood deck, and sitting letting it wash over me and going where it takes me, meeting who it cares to introduce me to - but always, always, feeling it with all my being.....

But study a deck's history? Ummm .....

Your post was excellent - it clarified the differences in approach so well for me and I thank you for that. Where I went wrong for years was in taking the intellectual approach against my true nature and although I got a tremendous amount out of those years I am happier by far and getting far more from tarot than I ever used to.

Horses for courses - and I love that we all have such different approaches :)

thorhammer

Faolainn Storm said:
I have several problems with my IDS. First, the Tarot of the Sidhe – I love this deck, but haven’t done any work with it, as it is only the majors and I really feel that it require a full deck to do it any justice. And now it appears likely that I will have to wait even longer than it originally seemed to get the full deck. :( So that bit has gone nowhere.
I can understand that. It makes sense, and even more so because of the promise of the minors being forthcoming. If you had no hope at all of those, it might have been easier to live with it and make progress . . . or not.
1. Approach: The more I work with the Greenwood, the more I have come to realise that this deck and I approach the world from two very different standpoints . . . We are suffering a major personality clash.
I had to have a chuckle at this :) But I see what you're saying, and I can imagine that it does indeed make it very difficult to continue. I can't imagine persevering with, say, the Vanessa for the same sort of reason.
So I went digging for the history, and found it has no history. Which has caused my current crisis. How do I reconcile my need for history with something that has none?
Aw, babe - yes, I can see that that would be a major setback to you. I suppose you might just have to reset your expectations of the deck; when you can come to it without the expectation of history maybe you'll be able to accept it better. But I can see that that would be hard, given that it purports to be pre-Celtic and all that.
Yet I have never had this problem Tarot in general – which also has little to no history beyond the 19th century.
I promise not to tell thems down in the Hysterical forum you said that :p
Sorry for the long post
FS
No need for apologies - it's good to see you! I hope you can share your thoughts with us in the weeks to come, as well as your conclusion :)

\m/ Kat

Bat Chicken

Faolainn Storm - A lot of what you said really resonated with me. You seemed to have verbalized the reason that I was unconsciously aware of but it never hit me. The personality conflict! Brilliant! And I relate...

And the inconsistencies in the Minors were my problem for me too. Their pedigree was unfaithful at times! As for the history - it was all legend and mythology - that I could enjoy but it was no longer Tarot. At times I wish I could see the world as Wendy and Mi-Shell do and these things wouldn't matter. But they do.

Take a break. I look forward to what you come back with and if you have the patience to reconcile it. Fascinating to know I wasn't alone, but, then I gave up on it.