Universal Waite

Tango

Is there really that much of a difference between the Universal Waite and a standard RWS deck?

gorgeousbutterfly

the universal waite is very pastely to me, prettier and nicer to look at then the original waite. the drawings are more realisitic looking and you can see the face expressions better, which i like.

Tango

I hear the backs of the cards are different as well.

What do they look like? Anyone have a link to a picture or scan?

teomat

The linework is more or less identical - the UW just has 'prettier' colouring.

It's really just a matter of what you find more aesthically pleasing. Personally, I prefer the 'Original' RWS. It's not pretty by any stretch of the imagination, but then again it doesn't pretend to be.

gorgeousbutterfly

similia said:
http://home.comcast.net/~vilex/images/LargeImages/UniversalBack.JPG

I much prefer the Universal-Waite backs. I quite like the Golden-Rider backs also, though don't much like the fronts. Oh well, can't have it all I guess.

Edit: SNAP gorgeousbutterfly :D

:D

is this the US games one? i have this deck and my back looks a bit different maybe its my screen? mine is a bit lighter blue, not so dark navyish.

Tango

Thanks guys!

rosebud_a320

I asked myself exactly the same question, I knew I wanted to get a waite deck but was stumped for choice...which one??
I found the site:

www.learntarot.com

quite helpful, if you go to the decks section then the waite variations it provides yet even more choice and then you spend a week looking deciding, changing your mind, then deciding lol
What clinched it for me was that the Universal Waite appeared brighter, the colours more vibrant without being too blinding and because of the colours the pictures just invited me in. I also liked the backs of the cards (black with stars), the back of the Original Waite are a blue pattern and just did not appeal to me also the colours are toned down.
I have read however that some of the details are more precise on the Original so if you are a stickler for detail you may prefer the Original (I wish I could write what detail it is, my memory neglected to store the information, I think it is quite minor on 2 or 3 of the cards).
Reading the reviews on Amazon also helped in my decision.