Tarot for Writers

Disa

I started reading this book last Monday.(I had pre-ordered it online)

I have to say it is more than I was expecting. There is so much more there than just using cards for inspiration-it's like a mini course in writing. I remember turning it over to see who the publisher was and what it was listed as body/mind/spirit and thinking it really could be a great reference book for writers. I'm not sure where they are shelving it at the bookstores, but I hope it isn't only in the metaphysical section. Writers of all genres would find value in it, I think.

I've attended a few of Corrine's Tarot for Writers Saturday chats and they are pretty good for spurring you into action.

I'm looking forward to working with the book more. I think I'll be referring back to it for many years to come.

Chara

More Tarot for Writers Fangirling

I really like the way she expresses herself. I was actually convinced to buy THIS book, as opposed to any of the other books available on writing (and tarot, for that matter) because I read her blog, and I just love the way she writes.

Despite not being new to tarot or writing, I like that this book serves both sides equally well. Even if I hadn't read tarot cards before I picked this book up, I would have been able to get a deck and start working with this book. And, even if I'd never had to plan out a story or novel before, I'd be in good hands here.

I'm currently doing some character creation and building, and while I usually enjoy this part of the process anyway, I think that using the cards for this adds another level of interest to it. I've got several characters I'm going through, and so far this book is handling the spectrum pretty well.

There's the secondary character who has been running around in my head for years who has a lot of development done already, a protagonist that I'm not really familiar with yet, and an antagonist who didn't exist until I started using the cards to create him. The exercises and methods in the book are adaptable enough to suit all three, which is awesome.

I also want to mention, because I haven't yet, that this book was illustrated with the Universal Tarot (by Roberto De Angelis). A friend of mine was kind enough to buy that deck for me, and so I've been using it for my writing work lately. I really like being able to use the same deck I'm seeing in the pages, and it makes it easier to connect the information for me. :D It's also interesting to lay out her sample readings for myself and see what I find there. I don't know if it was written with this deck in mind, but it definitely translates well if it wasn't.

But yeah, this book has definitely been useful, and I've barely started it! But I know so much more about my main character now, and I've been having such a hard time with him...not to mention the progress I've made on my other characters.

Asher

My book arrived today...

and it looks great! It's cold and rainy here today, so I'm going to curl up and begin to explore the book. I don't consider myself a writer (it's a chore, although I have always done well with writing), but now with my blog up and running, I think this book will be a great asset!

Asher

BodhiSeed

I'm so glad you guys started this thread. I've been thinking about getting this book for my daughter (who wants to be a writer). She is familiar with the tarot, but do you think it would be too difficult for a soon to be 16 year old?

Chara

I think it would be great for a 15/16 year old. It's certainly much easier to work with than a lot of the books I read at that age...

It's written in a pretty clear and concise manner, and the exercises in it are pretty practical, so I bet she'd get a lot out of it. :D

BodhiSeed

Thanks Chara! Heading to Amazon now...

Seafra

I've always thought I should write. What an uplifting thing to think that ME and MY CARDS could think the same thing. HuRRAH to all of you who can help such a clear vision. Best to you and your family, too. xoxo seafra

Sagefire

Bloops, I was interested in Tall Dark Stranger when I first saw it. But this book looks veerry interesting. :thumbsup: I'm putting it on my wish list!

Since you lovelies mentioned writing though, has AT ever had a writing circle or some kind or a never ending story on the Fun & Games board?? I did a little search but nothing came up. Would anyone be interested in participating in such a thing? Like the exquisite corpse, but in written form...etc. whatever. You know what I mean. :D Thanks for letting me jack your thread.

Jewel

Well I am excited to say that a wonderful friend of mine here from AT has chosen to get this for me for my b-day and I should be getting it in a few weeks. From all of your comments I am very excited about getting it as I would really like to take on writting as a serious hobby, and I had always thought that using my tarot decks would be the way to go.
Sagefire said:
has AT ever had a writing circle or some kind or a never ending story on the Fun & Games board?? I did a little search but nothing came up.
Not that I am aware of. The only writting thing I ever really saw here was years ago in the Fey Tarot Study group where there was a writting a competition. A short story on the Fey Ace of Coins with a limited number of words. It was very fun! The prize was a hand carved wooden box with the mage of the Fey Ace of Coins on it, handcrafted by our own Dadsnook. Participating in that inspired me to write about the other aces *LOL*.

rachelcat

Sagefire said:
Since you lovelies mentioned writing though, has AT ever had a writing circle or some kind or a never ending story on the Fun & Games board?? I did a little search but nothing came up. Would anyone be interested in participating in such a thing? Like the exquisite corpse, but in written form...etc. whatever. You know what I mean. :D

Remember As the Card Turns? http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=93498&highlight=soap+opera