Tarot for Writers

CorrineKenner

Most of the book is aimed at fiction writers, which means a lot of the information is geared toward creating characters and developing storylines. There's a section, however, dedicated toward using tarot cards as a writing coach. It describes how the cards can help you set goals, stay on track, and assess your work. It could definitely be of help to a non-fiction writer.

sapienza

Thanks for the info Corinne :)

CK'sJourney

My book is on the way.
I guess I should have it by the weekend.

I just started studying tarot as research for a story. I recognized it as a very creative tool for writers right away. I'm totally fascinated by it.

hunter

My favorite part of this book is the card descriptions. They are so thorough.

This has become the intro book I buy for tarot newbies.

The Universal deck can be bought in the teen kit at discountnewagebooks.com for just $7.00.

The book and deck make an affordable gift for someone you would otherwise be afraid to buy tarot for.

Hedera

I have to say, I found the book rather disappointing.
There were a couple of good ideas in there, but the bulk of it (about 2/3rd if I remember correctly) were taken up with card meanings - I have a LOT of other books with card meanings, and these were not particularly insightful for me.

I guess the focus of the book was just different from what I expected; I was looking for more ideas, more exercises, sample story-readings, creative stuff.

Fortunately, I could still return it to the bookstore.

I'm sure it could be useful for other people though, if the card meanings are your thing. :)

ReginaDiBastoni

Oh, Cicero, thank you for the great link! That will be a real money saver. I'm glad I can read most of the book without buying it.

bogiesan

Most of the book is aimed at fiction writers, which means a lot of the information is geared toward creating characters and developing storylines. There's a section, however, dedicated toward using tarot cards as a writing coach. It describes how the cards can help you set goals, stay on track, and assess your work. It could definitely be of help to a non-fiction writer.

Ah, sorry, I just noticed the post dates; old thread. I don't know if Ms Kenner still participates on AT.

Found the google preview helpful and informative. Your book looks like a good investment for any tarot enthusiast who also wants to craft tales so thank you for making the preview available. Hope that decision has been profitable for you and your publisher.

Personally, I'm working on several projects in the creative non-fiction genre. Many of us may know the works of John McPhee, Pulitzer winner at "The New Yorker." McPhee did not invent creative non-fiction but he probably owns the genre at the moment.

I have been bringing a W-S deck to meetings at which my workgroup is thrashing out a script for an important video project. they're great fun, a terrific ice breaker and — the best function — the cards easily get people to talking and thinking about different and alternative ways of seeing a particular scene or sequence.