Anyone read Dusty White's Advanced Tarot Secrets?

Citrin

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has read Dusty White's Advanced Tarot Secrets? I've heard a lot of good things about his first book, but since it's written for beginners I'm not so interested in it... I already have a lot of books about basic meanings and such. I find I lose interest in them fast nowadays (been using the cards since 2004-2005, though with a break for about 4 years, but still...) I'm looking for something that has exercises to strengthen intuition when using the cards.

Any opinions about the book? :)

tarotlova

I have both books

Hi, I have got both of his books and I have been reading for 15 plus years and learnt a lot from them. They are definitely not books that tell you a meaning for each card, I have a few of those books as well :) in these you rely on your own intuition, nothing else. The only down side is his website is heavily marketed in the book on joining up to practice with other like minded people, only the website don't work! I asked on this site if anyone else had found this as I thought it might be my iPad but others said that yes they couldn't use it either. They have started their own group, I did email Dusty as he is a member here too but he said it did work and offered to buy my book back as I was unhappy that I couldn't practice with other people one of the main reasons I brought the book. I declined as the books are good, the second one needs a partner more than the first which is a problem for me, I have no one sob lol! All in all I would definitely recommend them. I understand that he is writing a book on astrology now, hence why the website is not maintained.

Citrin

Tarotlova:
Thank you for replying :) Sounds interesting that you like both books! Do you think I could benefit even from the first one then? Like I said I am looking for intuitive exercises, but something I don't really appreciate is those that make you write a fictional story inspired by the cards, or tell you to write every symbol you see in a card... I'm more into how to get as much from a reading as possible, how to listen to that intuitive voice, seeing how the cards correlate and such... I'm so fond of this forum so I don't think I'm in need of the site he is marketing :) I'm sure AT:ers can get together and do the exrcises maybe in the exchange or something?

tarotlova

Yes

Citrin, yes I think you would, I wonder have you got a Kindle by chance perhaps you can download a sample so you can see what the exercises are all about. As it is hard to go into detail on how he does it, even look on Amazon as you can usually peek inside the book!

ann823

The second book is excellent. There is a study group here on AT for those using the first book.

Citrin

Citrin, yes I think you would, I wonder have you got a Kindle by chance perhaps you can download a sample so you can see what the exercises are all about. As it is hard to go into detail on how he does it, even look on Amazon as you can usually peek inside the book!

I actually discovered a great review of the first book on aeclectic, by Bonnie Cehovet, she explains a little how the exercises work. :) It does sound quite interesting, but I'm still more drawn to how Dusty explained his second tarot book somewhere in this forum, it sounded like the "one step forward" I'm wanting to take...

3ill.yazi

I think you would get something out of the first book. I find his perspective fairly close to unique, and I don't think the exercises would bore you (I am completely with you on the "write yourself a story" style btw). You may or may not agree with his approach, but it is definitely geared toward intuitive reading. Not that he doesn't avoid the traditional symbolic meanings: as much as he can poo-poo them in his books and podcast, he still does cite them. But the first book is more about exercising your psychic muscle.

I would say look at the sample pages at Amazon, and definitely look at the study group we have going on here. I'm also a big plugger of his podcasts: he basically gives away a number of the tips from the books on the podcast, though you have to wade through some digressions on things like manifestations and running a tarot business, which don't interest me as much personally.

I've not read the new book: I kind of promised myself I would have the first book down more before I bought another book.

Citrin

3ill.yazi: Well now you got me more interested in the first book lol... Maybe I should give it a try then... I'm gonna look for the podcast first and see what I think. I just ordered 3(!) new tarot books so my intention is to hold back a little, but I'm almost addicted to buying new books (sadly this means ALL books, not just tarot books lol). ;)

Are you planning to buy Advanced Tarot Secrets later on?

3ill.yazi

Definitely. I'm just trying to reel in my expenses a bit, and as I was not finding this book on deep discount anywhere, I promised myself I would not purchase another new Tarot book until I had this book truly down.

tarotlova

!

Oh Citrin didn't even think to look on here at our reviews on Aeclectic! I'm glad you found out more info :)