20 Yrs of Tarot: The LoS Story

Alta

Getting off topic here folks. A discussion of what is, or is not a TdM deck would be better suited to the Marseille forum.

Regards,
Marion

gregory

But those of us desperate to see Serio's deck need to find a way to persuade LS.... and the name does seem to be an issue....

I take your point, btw....

spoonbender

Ric, I hear what you're saying, but what I don't understand is: if you are convinced that a deck based on the Tarot de Marseille with Serio's artwork will sell badly, then why were those couple of cards ever commissioned? And why did Mark McElroy write on his blog that the project was abandoned because Tarot de Marseille users were "too pernickety to be pleased with any effort to modernize the cards" if it was the artwork and the reception by the main market that were the ultimate factors brought into consideration? Was he misinformed? And how is it that a deck like this would fare worse than specialized decks like the Universal Wirth or the Corto Martese? And is a more expensive limited edition really no option?

I hope you don't mind the avalanche of questions! I just don't understand. And I think you can tell I really want this deck. ;)

stella01904 said:
Calling it a TdM is what would rightly cheese off the "purists". Not the deck itself.
I totally agree - that's basically what I said in my first post on this topic!

Spoon

Annabelle

I just want to add an alternate point of view here . . . I find Andrea Serio's art to be extraordinarily difficult to interpret. I have Serio's Dante and Liber T decks, and never use either. Something about the style obfuscates the details, at least to my eyes.

I've taken a look at the scans of Serio's TdM that are posted in this thread, and have to say they aren't to my taste. I like some TdM style decks, but Serio's version just seems to lack detail . . . again, this is just one person's opinion, and I know that others disagree.

But to keep more tightly to the initial subject of the thread, I'm really glad that Ric and others who have seen the book are able to offer scans and opinions here . . . at first I didn't have an interest in buying the book, but I'm beginning to change my mind :).

WolfyJames

RiccardoLS said:
If I were to read this thread and this thread only, I would say that the Serio Marseille will be an incredible success, with almost a 100% appreciation rate. However, all considered, in LS we have received just three mails regarding the deck.

Even on Aeclectic that - with all defects - is a sanctuary for people that love Tarot, and really really love it - the deck went almost unnoticed. If there were two hundread mails... maybe it would be different.

Are you saying I'm among the three persons who emailed to you about Serio's version of TdM? Yikes! I understand your disapointment. :( The deck won't get published anytime soon with people having such an attitude or ignoring the deck altogether. Sigh! :(

RiccardoLS

And the third person to wrote was JMD ^_^
(it may be I missed something, but usually this kind of mails got rooted to me).
I will answer Spoonbender asap (but those questions are more difficult).

Just a little cent.
MOST of the TdMs were not produced in Marseille.

Mariana

WolfyJames said:
Are you saying I'm among the three persons who emailed to you about Serio's version of TdM?

Ok, ok, stop the guilt induction. I've just sent an email too.

Just thinking: maybe this special TdM could deepen the tradition, just like the Liber T did with the Thoth tradition? Maybe you could involve some TdM-experts? Have them write an e-book (and have Scion write an e-book for the Liber T)?

gregory

EEk. I honestly thought I had e-mailed - a copy is on my desktop.......

I have now ! (or possibly "I have again" !)

RiccardoLS

spoonbender said:
Ric, I hear what you're saying, but what I don't understand is: if you are convinced that a deck based on the Tarot de Marseille with Serio's artwork will sell badly, then why were those couple of cards ever commissioned? And why did Mark McElroy write on his blog that the project was abandoned because Tarot de Marseille users were "too pernickety to be pleased with any effort to modernize the cards" if it was the artwork and the reception by the main market that were the ultimate factors brought into consideration? Was he misinformed? And how is it that a deck like this would fare worse than specialized decks like the Universal Wirth or the Corto Martese? And is a more expensive limited edition really no option?

And here I am on Spoonbender questions

. Why were the cards ever commissioned?
They were commissioned when Piero first met Andrea. He wanted to see how he could handle Tarot. I'm not even sure they were commissione by LS or by Pietro Alligo himself as a collector. The project was then among the possible, but there was not a "production" analysis.

. Why Mark wrote...
When we produced the Universal Marseille, we where indeed it by the negative response we received. Is not that the deck itself was criticized - that's fine - It was the very concept behind the deck (to modernize the Marseille) that was hit.
We had been talking, at that time, with Lee Bursten among others, about the possibility of doing the TdM with illustrated pips. If so, Serio would have probably (possibly) been called in. In the end was choosen a more conservative approach: simply recoloring the TdM, and having a small - totally inexpensive. Cover price I think abou 4 Euro - book written for the English speaking countries.
If the answer had been more encouraging we would have considered going further in the same direction. Our effort was aimed mainly to the possibility of bridging the mass market Tarot users with the sensibility of historical decks. It was not a research or a study on TdM.

. How the deck could fare worse...
There are a few "esoteric" decks that LS is preparing. The Wirth is already published. The Golden Down is coming, and then a Papus and a Levi.
My personal opinion is that those deck won't get much sale reaction, but - at the moment - it's just my opinion. It is possible that if the Wirth and the GD doesn't work, the thread will be abandoned or modified.
As for the Corto Maltese, there is a market for Corto Maltese collectors. We have been asked to produce the deck for Corto Maltese anniversary. The cost for producing that deck is quite smaller than the cost of having 78 illustrations throughly produced.

. A limited edition?
How many decks? and at what price? In order to pay for the cost of producing such a deck...

Beside the TDM Serio illustrated deck, I hope something may came out of the book.
A sense of intent and of direction into producing decks. And a sense of how Tarot, in general, is changing and evolving.
Market (cost, business, etc...), Community, our (or at least my bosses) opinions, they are all part of a more complex answer on what we do, and what we can do.
The desiderable and the possible need to merge into the sensible ^_^
All decks should be part of the tapestry... I don't know if it makes sense.
(and besides, we are overworked ^^).

ric