Aeclectic Tarot
Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive

Tarot recommendation for an Oracle-reader

> Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot > Tarot Decks

Citizen

Le Fanu 
Citizen

Tarot recommendation for an Oracle-reader

Now here's an interesting question. What deck would you buy for someone who has only ever read with oracles? I wanted to buy a gift for a new friend of mine who, for years, has read with the Belline Oracle and has also used a French, Egyptian-based Oracle deck which I had never seen before, but which recently he has been using less because he finds it a bit negative. I know he reads the Belline quite intuitively as he learnt the basics from a friend and has just taken it from there.

I know the obvious answer would be the PCS Commemorative deck in a tin because everyone likes it, but I feel the fact that it is so typically traditional tarot he might feel that it is stricter and needs to be formally learnt whereas I just want him to enjoy himself and read how he reads oracles if that's how he reads.

What decks come to mind? Oh and ideally it would come with a very good booklet in case he does want to learn it methodically. I'd happily buy a book too but don't want to overwhelm right now...
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #1
Mageshifter

Falcor 
Mageshifter

I work with Chrysallis tarot for some time and it is very intuitive, at least for me. Also it has a very good book companion.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #2
Citizen

JylliM 
Citizen

Tarot of the Sidhe, depending on his taste. It has descriptive titles on each card, and the book is charming and thorough.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #3
Citizen

Gwynydd 
Citizen

I don't yet own this deck, but the Distant Past tarot comes to mind first.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #4
Citizen

EmpyreanKnight 
Citizen

Oh wow, the Belline Oracle. I know the Grand Tarot Belline since it is in many ways my dream deck. Perhaps he'd take to the French system like a duck to water?
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #5
Always learning.....

Thoughtful 
Always learning.....

l would suggest the Voyager Tarot. Although classed as a tarot there is so much going on in the images that it could spark his intuition giving him more insights in the way that an Oracle does. There is also a book you could buy that goes with the Voyager Tarot.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....SR214,320_.jpg

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....4,203,200_.jpg
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #6
Citizen

Scarlet Woodland 
Citizen

My mind went mostly down the big and beautiful route it seems... well, if he's used to oracles Aside from the great suggestions above:

Japaridze
Didactic (AKA Tarot D)
Druidcraft
Mary-El (as long as he doesn't mind a little dark and creepy in his deck)
Bonefire Tarot
Wild Unknown
Dreams Of Gaia

They don't all adhere to traditional systems but do all have great books (big or petite) in case he did want to dive into them. Most importantly, they have imagery you can really sink your teeth into.

There's always the Wildwood too, which has the benefit of keywords he could jump off from.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #7
Citizen

MissChiff 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpyreanKnight View Post
Oh wow, the Belline Oracle. I know the Grand Tarot Belline since it is in many ways my dream deck. Perhaps he'd take to the French system like a duck to water?
That is the deck I was going to suggest..🤣
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #8
Tutu wearing rascal

DDwarks 
Tutu wearing rascal

I dont like the PCS and there's no way I can be the only one (?).

That's a nice oracle he's been using! If he reads intuitively, I wouldn't personally get him anything too symbolism orientated. A simple deck will do. I find personally that less is more with intuitive tarot reading so I would go for the likes of Thelema tarot as a beginner's deck.
You could even consider something like Osho Zen for its structure but oracle qualities.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #9
mostly void, partially stars

barefootlife 
mostly void, partially stars

Something like Wild Unknown or Wooden Tarot might make a good transition, since they're fairly intuitive decks. That said, Wooden has no lwb and I found that reading WU with only the little pamphlet and not the actual book was more intuitive. I'd avoid decks that basically look like the rws for starters, since they may seem rigid to an oracle reader.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #10

Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive
Aeclectic Tarot Forum Links
· Tarot
· Tarot Special Interest
· Beyond Tarot
· Forum Library

Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Angel Decks
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Cat Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· List All Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· Tarot Books
· What's New

The Aeclectic Tarot Forum closed permanently on July 14th, 2017. The public threads remain online as a read-only archive and resource. More information on our decision can be found here. Thank you for being a part of our active community over the past seventeen years.

Copyright © 1996 - 2017 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us.