Crystal Spheres - Little Questions

Laura Borealis

I'd really like to get a scrying sphere but I'm curious about a few things first. I know your mileage may vary, but if people could just comment on what works for them I'd appreciate it! :)

1. What's a good size for scrying, in your experience? Is there a minimum size under which it's just too small?

2. Are transparent spheres better for scrying? (Like, for beginners? That's what I'm leaning toward, but maybe it's just because they're the stereotype.)

3. Do you prefer lots of inclusions and stuff in your spheres, or do they work better for you if they're more clear?

4. Got any recommendations for reliable sellers?

GotH

Oh gosh! I'm so excited for you Laura.. :thumbsup:

I hope you get all kinds of good advice from this thread.. Here's my bit to add to the whole.

I'd really like to get a scrying sphere but I'm curious about a few things first. I know your mileage may vary, but if people could just comment on what works for them I'd appreciate it! :)

1. What's a good size for scrying, in your experience? Is there a minimum size under which it's just too small?
This I feel depends on your eyesight. If you are looking at a sphere on the small size and have to squint to see something this won't be good. On the other hand, if the ball is too big, this could be difficult if you like holding the ball like I do. My perfect scrying sized spheres are about the size of a baseball to the size of a softball. I can still scry with larger but again, I like to hold the balls. Anything bigger than that gets a bit heavy after awhile.

2. Are transparent spheres better for scrying? (Like, for beginners? That's what I'm leaning toward, but maybe it's just because they're the stereotype.)
Start with balls that are transparent but have some interesting inclusions. Trust me on this. As you become more skilled, you can challenge yourself with crystal clear ones.

3. Do you prefer lots of inclusions and stuff in your spheres, or do they work better for you if they're more clear?
Somewhere in between.

4. Got any recommendations for reliable sellers?
I'm sorry I don't. I have always bought mine from new age stores and then just recently from mineral shows. Are the new age stores pricey? Yes unfortunately. Now I'll only buy my spheres once a year after checking out the show..

Good luck and have fun with it Laura!!! :)

Padma

All I can add to that is an agreement with GotH that inclusions are better. They do help...little rainbows and the like allow you to unfocus your gaze more easliy. I have a crystal clear one, and I find it impossible to use.

And oh yeah - you want probably one the size of a grapefruit, at least. :) Happy hunting for your perfect crystal! I think there are some discount places on line that sell them.

Laura Borealis

Thanks GotH and Padma :)

You confirmed for me about the inclusions and flaws. From the photos, the ones that are mostly clear just feel kind of empty to me. Like there's not enough in there to get the process going. Not that I would really know.

There's one on Etsy that I love, with rainbows in it, and one side's kind of floofy with white stuff while the other one's more clear, and I swear I keep seeing a dragon with a rainbow wing in there. I think it would be perfect! But I don't know if I can justify it you know? It's kind of high. And it's a little smaller (but not dinky)

Size - I had a feeling that the little ones were going to be TOO small. They are more affordable (and so less risk to buy online) but I don't have the best of eyesight anymore.

I would really prefer to pick one out in person too...

There's going to be a gem and mineral show in Atlanta, but not until December. It's like a four hour drive but pffft :p

It may be awhile before I find something! But that's okay.

Inana

Since I'm considereing to buy a crystal ball and I have no idea, I need some advice too and I'm bumping this thread. ;)
I've another question: Which material/mineral works best for scrying? Quartz? Clear crystal? Other?

Tanga

Since I'm considereing to buy a crystal ball and I have no idea, I need some advice too and I'm bumping this thread. ;)
I've another question: Which material/mineral works best for scrying? Quartz? Clear crystal? Other?

I think that's up to what you like looking at at the end of the day.

You can pour over some crystal textbooks and find out which crystals are assigned more "scrying" or "facilitation of psychic abilities" attributes and decide that way...
But I personally (after all of the aforementioned reading and/or going to crystal healing workshops which covered metaphysical properties of crystals) ended up with ones that are colours which delight me. So my best scrying crystal balls are my Orange calcite one - which is translucent with lots of fizzures inside it.
And my Selenite ball (White, sort of translucent too with fizzures inside - the fizzures make rainbows, and interesting reflexions of light).
I've never been attracted to completely clear crystal balls (looking at nothing so you have to really "go inwards" to scry) - and I find ones that are completely reflective (e.g. black obsidian mirrors - of which I have 2) difficult to work with as I just end up staring at my own reflexion! :joke:

But then - I am not really "psychic" and I'm rubbish at scrying. :) :) :)

@Laura Borealis - I agree with all GotH's answers. In my opinion - the bigger the better - and if I could afford it I'd have the proverbial football sized one. :)
My best sizes are the aforementioned which are hockey/cricket ball sized. Smaller ones are easier to carry around but then one is squinting into the things - in which case I find them easier to use as meditation objects (softer eye needed with no "searching") rather than "looking inside to see what patterns/stories I can find". :)

Inana

Thanks, Tanga! I'm not psychic either. ;-)

I just want to give a go to scrying, never have tried it, so I have no idea about which things I need to have in mind before buying a crystal ball. I would take note of your advice and read some books or infor related to what crystals are better for this.
And I do like black and reflective minerals,like obsidian or hematite, but I think I would have the same problem than you if I was using them for scrying.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Padma

Agree, best scrying crystals have inclusions and fissures and rainbows inside. Clear ones can be like staring into nothing - not a lot for your intuition to grab hold of! Small ones not great, either - get the biggest your money will afford you. :)

danieljuk

as a beginner in this area, what is the difference between a crystal sphere, ball and a point for crystal using / scrying?
hope you can find what you want Laura :)

dryadintheelm

I have a small one, maybe 2 inches in diameter. It is full of inclusions, and I do gaze into it but I use it more for the hypnotic effect of watching the light bounce from the inclusions as I turn it. It reminds me of light glinting from ripples on water, and that always slips me into trance easily.

I've seen things in it once or twice, but mostly I don't even use it for scrying exactly. I use it to clear my head, and look through it as I move it around, it almost feels like I'm using a magnifying glass to investigate energies. I look at my tarot cards through it, even though they'll be upside down, just to investigate how that makes them feel, what pops out in my attention. I can scry in it, it's just that it seems far more "me" to use it to slip in to trance, and it seems to be more effective at that than other stones I have.

As a sphere, round and feminine, in my receptive hand it seems to magnify my ability to receive, I guess it's like that. Actually, yesterday I also rolled it around in my palms and figured out that was a great way to raise energy, I don't know exactly what I did, but that packed a punch. I don't know if it's the symbolic associations of a crystal ball or what, but this thing seems to really turn me "on" (for energy work, not like my Joe does).

Recently, heh I think that was yesterday too, I really began to appreciate the tiny size of my sphere as I realized that it was very portable that way, and I'm about to do this meditative exercise that will lead me around the city. I thought that having a sphere that travels easily in my purse could have a lot of benefits, and I was thinking of professional card readers who go to different locations to read.

Edit to add - I've never had my hands on something large to scry with, since water doesn't appeal to me so I can't fully say this with confidence, but it seems like once you fall into a spot you like, it feels bigger. Like you zoom in on it, it doesn't seem as limiting as you would think.

Are you able to get to a store with multiple sizes to try them out?