Candles

GotH

Hi GotH,

I used to do lots of candle work. Lately though I haven't as much. Regarding what you wrote above... I, personally, will also use Orange to ground the intent, if it's an earthly intent, not a psychological or emotional one. You know what I mean?
Orange. Interesting how oranges (maybe the citrus) increases the strength of certain medications, maybe it has the same effect on intentions. That would fit right with the power of suggestion.

Like you, I love using oils. And I've used herbs at times. Then, sometimes the 'intent' I attempt is a bit lengthier than fits on a candle (carving), so I write it on paper and burn it in the flame (at times using colored paper and colored ink). You can also anoint the paper, not only the candle with oils. You can make your own oil just by soaking the herb in pure olive oil and using that.
Yes, I make my own oils using certain spices. I like the idea of soaking catnip into either olive or coconut oil for drawing something to you purposes.

What I've noticed... when the candle burns without leaving much of anything.. no drippings, nothing remaining and no soot left on the bottom, that's when I've noticed that it works like a charm ;)
I believe you are correct here. Looking back on some of the things that came about effortlessly, the candles I used just seemed to evaporate. :)

And I'm not talking about spelling, just candle-work. And I believe that there is a distinct difference.
Would you mind telling a newbie (me) what you think the difference between spelling and candle-work is? I thought candle-work was spelling.

How are you finding your candle work to be?
I really just began doing this and I find it to be very comforting. I have also found this form to pretty successful with quick results vs jar magic. Have you ever tried that?

Edit: And I forgot to share... I never used to do anything on the full moon. For me, personally, anything on the full moon would go wonky for me... lol.
The only other time I tried to work with the full moon was right along with the ocean tides (in the sand) as they were at the highest. It felt pretty powerful and even though things didn't happen within the next lunar cycle, I am beginning to see those intentions take shape as I write this. The full moon doesn't bother me as it does some people. Maybe because the Moon is my designated tarot card.

This discussion has been really cool. Candles are powerful tools with assistance in turning your thoughts into things. Thanks for your input!

CrimsonRed

Orange. Interesting how oranges (maybe the citrus) increases the strength of certain medications, maybe it has the same effect on intentions. That would fit right with the power of suggestion.

Yes, I make my own oils using certain spices. I like the idea of soaking catnip into either olive or coconut oil for drawing something to you purposes.

I believe you are correct here. Looking back on some of the things that came about effortlessly, the candles I used just seemed to evaporate. :)

Would you mind telling a newbie (me) what you think the difference between spelling and candle-work is? I thought candle-work was spelling.

I really just began doing this and I find it to be very comforting. I have also found this form to pretty successful with quick results vs jar magic. Have you ever tried that?

The only other time I tried to work with the full moon was right along with the ocean tides (in the sand) as they were at the highest. It felt pretty powerful and even though things didn't happen within the next lunar cycle, I am beginning to see those intentions take shape as I write this. The full moon doesn't bother me as it does some people. Maybe because the Moon is my designated tarot card.

This discussion has been really cool. Candles are powerful tools with assistance in turning your thoughts into things. Thanks for your input!

Good morning GotH, :)

Wow... I love the way you had cut up my post, and answered it like that. It looks so nice and organized. How do you do that? Do you put [ q u o t e ] in the beginning in caps and pushed together prior to and [ / q u o t e ] at the end?

That's interesting... about orange and cirtrus... never put that together like that, but you're right. Yes, orange will ground, but be careful what you ground.. make sure you REALLY WANT it ground... lol.. coz it'll ground all right... lol.

It's like freezing. That's hinky. Coz what if the freezer goes out? What happens when you move. Your life becomes dependent on what you've frozen. Coz you don't want it to thaw. A friend of mine did that (against my vehement objections/advice), and her freezer went out while she was away one day, and what she froze, thawed and she dealt with it for months and months afterwards. Wasn't very fun for her. So one has to be very careful and think things through very well before one plays with energy.

Naturally if you're only helping yourself be better, calmer, or have more concentration for like studies and stuff.. that's harmless... like taking herbs to help yourself feel better.

Re: candle work and spelling. Now I can only tell you what I know and what I do... and there are differences and variances for many... so this is just with me (and those that I taught to do).

Candle work is putting an intent out there, a wish. Like for instance: "I've been so stressed lately and can't relax.. I want to relax more", or "I've had such a hard time studying, I need more energy and to focus more on my studies", or "Gee, I have the weekend off, I wish it was nice weather so I can go to the beach". Or "I'm going to a family reunion, which is always chaotic, full of upheavals.. I wish the energy around everyone will be amicable and calm with everyone having a nice time". That's candle work stuff.

Spelling is stronger. It will grasp the energy and alter it... make it do what you want to do. That is why spelling is dangerous in my opinion. If one doesn't really know what they're doing... I mean really know what they're doing... and who of us really does know that... we're all just 'playing' really... then the energy they alter may not do what they want and can float out there for years, only to boomerang back at the person, full of debris and junk that has attached to it and who knows what it causes. Unfortunately I've seen that. That's my experience.

Now have I manipulated energy before? Yes. But I've only done it a few times, in my youth/silly child that I was, just to prove that "I can". Like one time when I made my g/f's husband get up and do the laundry... lol. But then deep down somewhere I felt that 'no, this isn't good to do' and stopped.

The only thing I would say spelling should be used for is blockage that clearly should be removed, that shouldn't be there to begin with and to protection. I've used it to protect my car when a nasty neighbor, who, without cause, was putting little scratches here and there on it. It's good for inner child work. It's good for psychological healing, help things open up quicker and w/o less fear. But that's just me personally. I know many would disagree with me, but I can only be who I am. :)

So I'm not a big advocate of 'magic' because since nobody really knows how to control it fully, it's a bit of a dangerous thing to play with. So no, I don't do and haven't done other magic, including jar magic. And I'm referring to white magic.. do no harm type thing... not black magic. That's very different... that's dark energy and power based. That is totally outside my realm of possibilities, since I'm irrevocably rooted and attached to our Good Creator!

Re: full moon. So this is what I've seen. And it might sound a little bizzare... but I've noticed that those whose astrological charts have a strong influence of those signs associated with the moon, can go either way with it (their natal planets are in certain signs). Either they will, like me, get wonky stuff. Or they can harness the energy of the full moon and it'll add strength to their candlework. I've noticed that in a person's astrological chart, one of the following planets will be in Cancer, Scorpio or Pisces: Sun, Moon, Mercury, Venus or Mars.. but especially their Sun and Mars. I found that interesting.

I too am enjoying this discussion. Hope you have a great day and I'll look forward to your reply.

Love & Light!

Padma

It's like freezing. That's hinky. Coz what if the freezer goes out? What happens when you move. Your life becomes dependent on what you've frozen. Coz you don't want it to thaw. A friend of mine did that (against my vehement objections/advice), and her freezer went out while she was away one day, and what she froze, thawed and she dealt with it for months and months afterwards. Wasn't very fun for her. So one has to be very careful and think things through very well before one plays with energy.

You can chip away all but the bit of ice containing the name, rinse the leftover ice down the sink with salt and vinegar (cleanse and neutralize) and then take the bit with the name still frozen, and drown it in a dish of the remaining salt and vinegar. And then flush the remains away down the toilet, and out of your life.

Or, pour hot sauce into the bag of frozen water with the paper, and let it sit for a week, then flush. Burnt out!

In regard to candle magic, I once used it quite effectively to draw in all monies owed to me - by using a circle of intention drawn with an athame, some tarot cards inside the circle, a dish filled with water, the wish written on paper, and the burning of a green candle. My cat sat in the circle until my spell was done ;) That seemed to have helped! lol!
Haven't done a spell since, actually. Now I just use my mind to focus intent.

But I would love to try your candle-melting scrying, GotH! That seems to work really well for you! :)

SweetSiren

Or they can harness the energy of the full moon and it'll add strength to their candlework. I've noticed that in a person's astrological chart, one of the following planets will be in Cancer, Scorpio or Pisces: Sun, Moon, Mercury, Venus or Mars.. but especially their Sun and Mars. I found that interesting.

I too am enjoying this discussion. Hope you have a great day and I'll look forward to your reply.

Love & Light!

This isn't in regards to candles, but I do think there's something to your Mars in Cancer theory. I don't know if it's really good intuition or actually bringing things about- but I've had some interesting experiences! I've never done any sort of intention work under a full moon, but there's been a few times where I was like "I HAD to have done this." Each time, totally unintentionally lol. One of the most peaceful things to think about before I go to bed is to imagine myself dancing. Not sure why- but it just gets me in that dreamy, relaxed state. Sometimes, I imagine myself dancing with someone. Every single one of these sort of fantasies (not sure that's the word I want to use) has come about- with the same song I imagined at that! (I wasn't in control of any playlist/ they aren't popular songs) those are my most powerful experiences as I could not explain it any other way than absolute impeccable timing. Most of my other experiences, I allow logic to win haha!

I also have just super amazing confidence in what I do. Not that I think I'm the bees knees- I just have this strong belief that if I want something, it'll happen. In my job hunts, I've never applied to more than a couple at a time, because I knew I'd get the one I want. The one I have now- I beat out 50 other applicants! Another odd thing, I've despised my boss since day one- and he recently got fired. I did not wish ill on him, but his presence made my job so difficult and my gut instinct sent alarms with him, despite everyone else claiming he was a good guy. He got fired just days after I finally gave him a piece of my mind for something completely unrelated. So I'm not sure if it was just intuition here or if I'm pretty damn good at making things happen.... Or both lol

So I just came here to say there might be something to your Mars in Cancer theory!

CrimsonRed

You can chip away all but the bit of ice containing the name, rinse the leftover ice down the sink with salt and vinegar (cleanse and neutralize) and then take the bit with the name still frozen, and drown it in a dish of the remaining salt and vinegar. And then flush the remains away down the toilet, and out of your life.

Or, pour hot sauce into the bag of frozen water with the paper, and let it sit for a week, then flush. Burnt out!

In regard to candle magic, I once used it quite effectively to draw in all monies owed to me - by using a circle of intention drawn with an athame, some tarot cards inside the circle, a dish filled with water, the wish written on paper, and the burning of a green candle. My cat sat in the circle until my spell was done ;) That seemed to have helped! lol!
Haven't done a spell since, actually. Now I just use my mind to focus intent.

But I would love to try your candle-melting scrying, GotH! That seems to work really well for you! :)

Hi Padma,

Nice to meet you :) Thank you for that. I can see where that all would work perfectly, counteracting thawed frozen.

The candle magic you did, regarding monies owed you, is a good example of what I was saying above. To put things right.

Love & Light!

CrimsonRed

This isn't in regards to candles, but I do think there's something to your Mars in Cancer theory. I don't know if it's really good intuition or actually bringing things about- but I've had some interesting experiences! I've never done any sort of intention work under a full moon, but there's been a few times where I was like "I HAD to have done this." Each time, totally unintentionally lol. One of the most peaceful things to think about before I go to bed is to imagine myself dancing. Not sure why- but it just gets me in that dreamy, relaxed state. Sometimes, I imagine myself dancing with someone. Every single one of these sort of fantasies (not sure that's the word I want to use) has come about- with the same song I imagined at that! (I wasn't in control of any playlist/ they aren't popular songs) those are my most powerful experiences as I could not explain it any other way than absolute impeccable timing. Most of my other experiences, I allow logic to win haha!

I also have just super amazing confidence in what I do. Not that I think I'm the bees knees- I just have this strong belief that if I want something, it'll happen. In my job hunts, I've never applied to more than a couple at a time, because I knew I'd get the one I want. The one I have now- I beat out 50 other applicants! Another odd thing, I've despised my boss since day one- and he recently got fired. I did not wish ill on him, but his presence made my job so difficult and my gut instinct sent alarms with him, despite everyone else claiming he was a good guy. He got fired just days after I finally gave him a piece of my mind for something completely unrelated. So I'm not sure if it was just intuition here or if I'm pretty damn good at making things happen.... Or both lol

So I just came here to say there might be something to your Mars in Cancer theory!

Hi Sweet Siren,

Nice to meet you. Thank you for your reply. :)

Someone with Mars in Cancer (just astrologically) is someone who is persistent and tenacious... not letting go easily of what they go after, what they pursue.

When someone does candle work/magic, by physically doing the ritual, their concentration on their desire magnifies (naturally). Most people/humans, when involving their physical being in anything that coincides with their thoughts, all or most of their energy is engaged/involved/radiating towards that. Naturally we could achieve that concentration without the physical ritual (although it's easier for most TO do the ritual to focus more concentration), and it's obvious that's what you do. You don't do the ritual, you just send out the energy. And that's what it's really all about, the energy of it... the intent of it. Sending out that concentrated energy (by concentrating stronger while doing the ritual). So what you said makes perfect sense. (And you can be the bee's knees any day if you'd like *wink*.)

As far as the natal Mars in Cancer... I believe that it, as with maybe a couple other signs in Mars would create that type of focus... although Mars in Cancer would be one of the stronger ones.

Thanks for sharing all that. I enjoyed reading it.

GotH

Good morning GotH, :)

Wow... I love the way you had cut up my post, and answered it like that. It looks so nice and organized. How do you do that? Do you put [ q u o t e ] in the beginning in caps and pushed together prior to and [ / q u o t e ] at the end?
Exactly.. Or if you have the tool bar above, you can click on the icon that looks like a cartoon bubble after highlighting a group of words.

That's interesting... about orange and cirtrus... never put that together like that, but you're right. Yes, orange will ground, but be careful what you ground.. make sure you REALLY WANT it ground... lol.. coz it'll ground all right... lol.
And the color orange represents vibrant energy too so it's definitely fitting.

I saw someone posting this method in another thread. It does make sense to be cautious of energy tampering. But I have to say, I like Padma's idea of flushing certain issues down the toilet! :surprise:

Re: candle work and spelling. Now I can only tell you what I know and what I do... and there are differences and variances for many... so this is just with me (and those that I taught to do).

Candle work is putting an intent out there, a wish. Like for instance: "I've been so stressed lately and can't relax.. I want to relax more", or "I've had such a hard time studying, I need more energy and to focus more on my studies", or "Gee, I have the weekend off, I wish it was nice weather so I can go to the beach". Or "I'm going to a family reunion, which is always chaotic, full of upheavals.. I wish the energy around everyone will be amicable and calm with everyone having a nice time". That's candle work stuff.
Yes I get it. Candle work = A tap for positive energy

Spelling is stronger. It will grasp the energy and alter it... make it do what you want to do. That is why spelling is dangerous in my opinion. If one doesn't really know what they're doing... I mean really know what they're doing... and who of us really does know that... we're all just 'playing' really... then the energy they alter may not do what they want and can float out there for years, only to boomerang back at the person, full of debris and junk that has attached to it and who knows what it causes. Unfortunately I've seen that. That's my experience.
Oooh interesting. I feel this could point to those who try to cast love spells on a specific person. :bugeyed: It can work to a degree but I've seen it where the target ends up hating the caster. Talk about flipping something upside down! :(

Now have I manipulated energy before? Yes. But I've only done it a few times, in my youth/silly child that I was, just to prove that "I can". Like one time when I made my g/f's husband get up and do the laundry... lol. But then deep down somewhere I felt that 'no, this isn't good to do' and stopped.
I hate doing laundry. That would be more of a blessing to me. :joke:

The only thing I would say spelling should be used for is blockage that clearly should be removed, that shouldn't be there to begin with and to protection. I've used it to protect my car when a nasty neighbor, who, without cause, was putting little scratches here and there on it. It's good for inner child work. It's good for psychological healing, help things open up quicker and w/o less fear. But that's just me personally. I know many would disagree with me, but I can only be who I am. :)
Yes something to seriously think about. I'm seriously learning so much from you! And that's no coincidence. ;)

So I'm not a big advocate of 'magic' because since nobody really knows how to control it fully, it's a bit of a dangerous thing to play with. So no, I don't do and haven't done other magic, including jar magic. And I'm referring to white magic.. do no harm type thing... not black magic. That's very different... that's dark energy and power based. That is totally outside my realm of possibilities, since I'm irrevocably rooted and attached to our Good Creator!
Okay.. I know some people use jar magic for dark reasons but when I talk about jar magic, I'm thinking about goals and ambitions. For example, say little Cindy wants to be a successful ballet dancer. The jar would be filled with things relating to her desires toward this goal. Extra bits are added for accomplishment, a prayer is spoken, the jar is sealed and placed where she can focus her wishes. This is what I mean when I say jar magic.

Re: full moon. So this is what I've seen. And it might sound a little bizzare... but I've noticed that those whose astrological charts have a strong influence of those signs associated with the moon, can go either way with it (their natal planets are in certain signs). Either they will, like me, get wonky stuff. Or they can harness the energy of the full moon and it'll add strength to their candlework. I've noticed that in a person's astrological chart, one of the following planets will be in Cancer, Scorpio or Pisces: Sun, Moon, Mercury, Venus or Mars.. but especially their Sun and Mars. I found that interesting.

Love & Light!
I'm not educated in Astrology so I have no idea. Aside from the Moon being my tarot card, I feel a special pull to it because I was once unusually effected by a super moon one evening. Since then, my life has been quite different.

Thanks again the education and giving me some things to think about regarding candle work and spell work. :)

GotH

It's a lot of fun and I believe anyone can do it. Good luck and be sure to let me know how it works out for ya. :)

Laura Borealis

I sort of did candle reading for awhile - dropping wax into water, and trying to read the flames.

Lukcymojo has a good page on it: http://www.luckymojo.com/candlemagicdivination.html I don't think you have to be into Hoodoo to read the signs and use this information.

However, I am a liability near fire so I don't do this anymore.... just two days ago in a restaurant I set my clothes on fire with the candle on the table and have a huge blister from the burn. I've melted several carpets and have done one candle ritual that ended with a huge fire........... so yeah, no candles for me anymore.

Eek! :bugeyed:

If it helps to know, you aren't the only one who is prone to candle accidents. I was doing a spell of some kind once (can't remember what now) and I had a candle plus a charcoal for burning incense on an oven proof plate. Yes, both on the same plate - rookie mistake! I was chanting away and suddenly noticed the candle was about to overflow in the direction of the hot charcoal. Before I could move it off, the wax flowed over, ran directly to the charcoal disk, and FOOOMP!!! flames shot up three feet! CRACK!!! the plate broke into three pieces! Luckily I had a glass of water right there to dump on the flames. :p

I know someone that purchased an encaustic art kit, which is like painting with wax. Now, instead of trying to reproduce what he sees with his eyes, he uses it more in the sense of scrying, choosing colored waxes and ironing them onto the photo paper and then taking a look to see what there is. It's an interesting idea although I haven't tried it myself.

http://www.encaustic.com/

I really like that idea! I just remembered when I was a kid, we'd take crayon shavings and layer them between wax paper, and iron them on low heat to melt the wax and make pretty patterns. We called it stained glass, and would hang them in the window, but it might be good for scrying purposes too.

http://viewfromthefridge.com/wax-paper-crayon-melts/

CrimsonRed

Exactly.. Or if you have the tool bar above, you can click on the icon that looks like a cartoon bubble after highlighting a group of words.
Thank you, I'm trying that. :)
But I have to say, I like Padma's idea of flushing certain issues down the toilet! :surprise:
Yes, I do too. :)

Oooh interesting. I feel this could point to those who try to cast love spells on a specific person. :bugeyed: It can work to a degree but I've seen it where the target ends up hating the caster. Talk about flipping something upside down! :(
Yeah, those are iffy. Now if like you have a fight with someone you have a strong relationship with, and their just mad or holding a long grudge, you can 'nudge' them to finish their negativity faster.. but then again you're not changing someone's mind, but helping them process quicker. You'd be helping the love come to the surface more again, is all. So again, positive.

Yes something to seriously think about. I'm seriously learning so much from you! And that's no coincidence. ;)
I agree. I don't believe in coincidences. I believe things are meant to be. So good, I'm glad :)

Okay.. I know some people use jar magic for dark reasons but when I talk about jar magic, I'm thinking about goals and ambitions. For example, say little Cindy wants to be a successful ballet dancer. The jar would be filled with things relating to her desires toward this goal. Extra bits are added for accomplishment, a prayer is spoken, the jar is sealed and placed where she can focus her wishes. This is what I mean when I say jar magic.
Like a wish jar (sort of). That's like putting a picture of the house you want on your fridge, looking at it every day, inspiring yourself. I understand. :)

I'm not educated in Astrology so I have no idea. Aside from the Moon being my tarot card, I feel a special pull to it because I was once unusually effected by a super moon one evening. Since then, my life has been quite different.
It would be interesting to know where your natal planets are, especially since you draw energy from the full moon. Would you be interested in knowing?
Not sure I understand fully why the Moon is your tarot card... is it because something profound happened to you during a supermoon?
Don't want to pry, but if you want to share, I'd be interested. :)

Thanks again the education and giving me some things to think about regarding candle work and spell work. :)
You're very welcome. My pleasure. :) It's fun chatting.