Madame Endora's (Secret Circle) Study Group: HINDRANCE

Alissa

HINDRANCE: Fate has Blocked This Path for You

From the Book:This woodland faerie presents an unavoidable delay, however this is merely a temporary setback. Try another approach to attain your goal. View the problem from a different perspective to find an alternate solution.

This is the other "twin", sister to the Seduction card. It is the same figure as the other, but here She is seen in full and with wings.

The scene evokes the atmosphere of autumn, the leaves that frame the picture are luscious shades of gold, red, and green... amber and orange. Falling leaves are also seen behind her in the background, and more leaves blanket the ground at her feet.

Her costume is a deep, crimson red, and she rests on a fallen tree, where moss grows. The draping of the gown, especially the sweeping arches seen to the left, are more artistic nods to Mucha's Art Nouveau style Click here to see Spring, a very similar piece of Mucha's in tone, model posturing, and gown draping to what we see from Filipak's hand. (And, for the very curious, Mucha's Autumn is nothing like the autumn-scene we see here, so we know that Filipak was not trying to mimic the work of Mucha, so much as use his style to express her own art).

When I found this card for the very first time, going through my virginal cards fresh out of the box, I was so relieved to find this message. I was concerned that the message behind the Hand of Fate card was that of blocking forward progress, as well as the other meanings ascribed to it (Forces Beyond Your Control Intervene).

But, here instead is the card that represents a blockage, a stopping point, a point where we must reconsider our path. The leaves about her gown-enshrouded feet, as well as the fallen tree that crosses the path, all speak of silent barriers that are being encountered.

While a pile of leaves can easily be kicked out of the way, and a tree easily hurdled, I don't think our kind Faery would allow our forward momentum, regardless of how stubborn we might feel when facing this card. She might look nice now, but Fae can get mean when they need to.

This card is a gentle warning, to me, one that should be heeded. The autumnal feel speaks of endings, fruition, and a time to harvest what is before you already.

On a personal note, there is a path I walk on often in the forest behind my yard, and along that path, I encounter two fallen logs that have toppled over the years. When I was first learning the lay of the land, the fallen logs were place markers for me, more solid that Hansel's bread crumbs to help me find my way *back* home again. In other words, they taught me how to turn around and go back, safely.

They are also like resting points for me. I often sit at Second Fallen Log and think about the magic things I've planted in that area, off the path, visiting them before turning around to go home again.

From now on, I will always also see Second Fallen Log when I see this card in a reading, and all the emotions that the place contains (for me).

Chronata

It's funny, Alissa..I never realized that Hinderance is Seduction's mirror image before your threads!

I like this nymph much better in the Hinderance card! (maybe it's the wings!)

So coy and so fay...and of course I love the Autumn more than any other season.

When Hinderance comes up, I often think of the little nymph standing in the path as one of those faerie tests..".answer this riddle, and you may pass."

The trick, of course, is trying to figure out...not only the answer, but also what the question is...and once you discover that, the block will often disappear, or you will discover how to get around it.

I can think of one time where she showed up...which was a clear warning that the path was hindered, because it was the absolute wrong path.

But most of the time Hinderance is very helpful...allowing me to sort out the whys behind my queries.

She is certainly more helpful than her twin!

Alissa

Chronata said:
When Hinderance comes up, I often think of the little nymph standing in the path as one of those faerie tests..".answer this riddle, and you may pass."
Alissa says, in a creaky, croaking voice, "Answer me these questions three! And the other side ye see..." ;)

Ok, I did watch Monty Python's Holy Grail (yet again) last night, but I couldn't help chiming in!

And it could be an easy question she poses last... "What is your favorite color?" Or, "What is the airspeed of an unladen African swallow?"

Now I'm gonna have a Python-inspired Bridgekeeper moment with this card too, and will likely get the giggles!

Deidrui

Hindrance

I see her standing in the middle of the path blocking the way. However, if you read the card in reverse it says to me she as moved aside and the path is opened.

However, one only has to figure out how to get around the object that blocks the path. Since it is a forest setting and we have no way of seeing what is on either side of her one could always go around her. And yet, if you notice there is something in her hand a ball of some type. Could she be giving you an answer of some sort? She seems to be coming towards you. She could also be giving you a gift of some type.

Food for thought here.

Genna

I think of the the ball as a "crystal" ball,and think she has foreseen hindrence in your path.As mentioned above,I believe she is going to help you work out what to do about this.A bit like Epona´s Wild Daughter in The Faeries´ Oracle.
First I saw it as a "bad" card(alright,there really are no bad cards),but you guys have changed my mind about it.She is a straight-talking,helpful fairy,and the hindrence isn´t going to be there for ever if she can help it.
Thank you for the insight!(Got her as Daily card today).

December Fairy

I thought the ball was a crystal ball too. I see this cards as trying to get some place that you *think* will be good for you. And try as you might, many things (all the fallen leaves) distract you. Consciously or unconsciously, fate is telling you something. You should liston.

squeakmo9

I see that as a crystal ball as well and I too like her butterfly wings, gives wonderful hope to Hindrance. Her presence is surprisingly comforting. As if I've gotten lost and witha turn, there she is. Her look is like "why the struggle? Come sit, I'd like to show you something..."
I think she recommends more patience is needed to see the big picture.

Loewenzahnhexe

There is no malicous in this card. It seems to be a necessary obstacle - laid in ones path from fate - to give one the chance to personal growth.

Pao

can this card also stand for timing you think? like its not the right timing for your plans, more things or work needs to be done and when it is the obstacle will be removed. i keep getting this card and have read all these posts but i am still unclear as its meaning or msg. i guess its a necessary obstacle, like a red light, you wait for the traffic to pass then you can cross to the other side. hmm...i must say when i first saw it i was like darn why but it says its a temporary setback so....hm....

.traveller.

This will sound a bit irreverant, but I see Hinderance as sitting on your butt. If it is an obstacle, it means you aren't doing anything to help your cause or you are doing all the wrong things and therefore it is like not doing anything at all. As advice, it seems (to me) to advocate inaction or contraindicate aggressive pursuit. Perhaps to spend your time in meaningful contemplation and preparation for what is to come.