Tarot of Prague Cafe club - Queen of Cups

dadsnook2000

Love that Queen

One of my favorite figures in the ToP is the Queen of Cups. I've completed a wood carving of this figure and have mounted it on a book box that holds my deck. I had previously done Strength but decided that a new figure was in order. I've attached a photo of my interpretation of this beautiful figure. It is about 5 inches tall and is relief-carved in 1/2 thick Aspen and then painted. I haven't sprayed it with any finish as that tends to gloss up the photo under lights and flash. Dave.

Jewel-ry

I remember you doing Strength Dave!

I think I prefer this one. She is just lovely. You have the stance exactly right and I love the face in the base too. Well done!!

baba-prague

It's great - I love it

Alex and I both just love this. Is it okay if I save the picture? You've really got her whole character and feel, just lovely.

Little Baron

That looks great Dave!!! Thanks for sharing.

LB

dadsnook2000

Thank you all

baba-prague, since you really like it, and since your beautiful deck inspired it, I'll check the shipping methods and send you a book-box after I get my web site up in another couple of weeks. I've got to make a mold first, then finish it and mount it, so it will take a bit. I also love this piece, the Queen has a pose that is gracious and seems also for making an entrance or impression, yet it is also natural. Having her posed on the water seems at first to be not necessary, yet it works so well with rounding out her tarot-meanings. Dave

Moongold

I am late to this but it's certainly beautiful!

baba-prague

dadsnook2000 said:
baba-prague, since you really like it, and since your beautiful deck inspired it, I'll check the shipping methods and send you a book-box after I get my web site up in another couple of weeks. I've got to make a mold first, then finish it and mount it, so it will take a bit. I also love this piece, the Queen has a pose that is gracious and seems also for making an entrance or impression, yet it is also natural. Having her posed on the water seems at first to be not necessary, yet it works so well with rounding out her tarot-meanings. Dave

Oh - I'm sorry, I only just saw this (which will teach me to be more observant) Yes, yes, yes, please. I would love it - and Alex too. Thank-you!

Satori

Dave you are getting very very good at this now!
Of all of the pieces I've seen, and I've seen several in person, this is my favorite.
Well done!!!

dadsnook2000

Yes, yes

Yes, as I get further along in my tarot carvings I find they are getting more sophisticated in several ways. The carving itself is critical of course, especially the face -- everyone looks for the face to be both detailed and fully dimensional (rounded like a sculpture) even though the rest of the figure is a deep-relief carving. The carving has to accomodate the molding/casting process. But, the painting is what makes it come to life. All in all, it has been quite a transformation going from large pieces such as full sized carousel horses down to miniatures.

Thank you for your comments. Can I quote you on my website? Dave

Jewel-ry

Yes, you can quote me - even if I didn't say very much ;)