Dame Darcy Mermaid ver. 3

RavenLuna

Impressive or slapdash to get 22 new cards made so quickly? Hmmm. That Moon, with the back of a mermaid and some tentacles must have taken a lot of thought and effort.

I too feel uneasy about her not addressing the issue. Trying to make out she is a perfectionist, and that's why she re-did the cards is dishonest. There's nothing perfect about her artwork, or the "boarders".

Soniadevi

Blatant plagiarism from a dolly brain

I must admit, I got totally caught up in the hype with this deck, and was so thrilled to receive it, and thought it was incredible, original, fantastic! I was so taken by the mermaid theme that I promptly ordered the Lo Scarabeo Tarot of Mermaids, and was completely shell shocked to discover that Dame Darcy's Mermaid Tarot was such a blatant plagiaristic effort! The fact that she doesn't even bother to say a single word about it is horrid, and I must admit that since then, I have stuffed the deck in a bag in the spare room, as I WILL NOT CONNECT MY HIGHER SELF AND SUBCONSCIOUS WITH SUCH A FILTHY LACK OF INTEGRITY!
As far as I'm concerned, the Edition 3 which is being advertised as being inclusive of different skin colours and LGBT and all that is filthy rotten way of using political correctness to make up for LYING and being a dirty copier. Having suffered plagiarism myself in the past, I can tell you, it's a terrible feeling. I don't like to put out negative opinions on the internet, but this incident is like a wake up call to show us that a lack of ethics and morals can infiltrate itself anywhere and everywhere, even in the realm of tarot, where most people are sensitive, intuitive and decent individuals. What is the world coming to?
It actually just adds insult to injury that anyone should want to fork out EVEN MORE MONEY to get their hands on the updated version, when in fact, everyone should get a refund, and get the updated copy for free, by way of an apology on her part. Of course, I realise that this would not be a financially viable solution for her, since she's only running a small business, but really, that would be the only way she could ever even slightly redeem herself in my eyes.

FaintlyMacabre

As someone not that familiar with the oirignal deck, do these cards look like they are in a somewhat different style? I know there will be 22 but sometimes it is jarring to have cards that look like they came in from another deck.

I was just wondering.

Diana

Ivy Rhiannon

I was wondering if anyone had both versions and could do a comparison video or just show the 22 new pictures.

Citrin

Oh I'd love to see the new cards... I have the first edition and I love it so much, wondering if I should get this one too (I never ever buy two of "the same" decks but this one is special to me)... I just might if I really like the new cards. The Moon looks promising, I was never a big fan of the first depiction.

OceanicWanderlust

I had no idea she made a new version with 22 new cards. They do look better from what I can see. I am glad the inconsistent borders have been corrected.

To everyone who claims she plagiarised the deck from Tarot of the Mermaids: I wouldn't necessarily say she traced it but, redrew the images in her own comic book style. Don't forget for that the Queen of Cups is Dame Darcy herself in a mermaid outfit. I have seen the videos that were posted comparing the deck. Yes, there are many similarities to the deck. But it they have been changes made to certain images. One that comes to mine is the Queen of Pentacles being changed from a white woman to a black woman. Not to mention that if this deck were blatant plagiarism a) Why didn't she bother coping the ENTIRE deck and not just 18 cards? b) Why would she bother making the effort redrawing/"tracing" the deck, when she could just scan all of the cards, use Pixlr, Gimp, or another Photoshop-esque programme to manipulate them?

As the representative from LoScarabeo mentioned in the locked thread: The Waite-Smith was inspired by the Sola Busca deck. Would you call Pamela Colman-Smith a plagiarist for "blatantly copying" the Sola Busca deck?

It's still different enough to read as different mermaid tarot decks. Inspired from Tarot of the Mermaids? Yes? Tracing? Maybe. Blatant plagiarism? No.

FaintlyMacabre

I had no idea she made a new version with 22 new cards. They do look better from what I can see. I am glad the inconsistent borders have been corrected.

To everyone who claims she plagiarised the deck from Tarot of the Mermaids: I wouldn't necessarily say she traced it but, redrew the images in her own comic book style. Don't forget for that the Queen of Cups is Dame Darcy herself in a mermaid outfit. I have seen the videos that were posted comparing the deck. Yes, there are many similarities to the deck. But it they have been changes made to certain images. One that comes to mine is the Queen of Pentacles being changed from a white woman to a black woman. Not to mention that if this deck were blatant plagiarism a) Why didn't she bother coping the ENTIRE deck and not just 18 cards? b) Why would she bother making the effort redrawing/"tracing" the deck, when she could just scan all of the cards, use Pixlr, Gimp, or another Photoshop-esque programme to manipulate them?

As the representative from LoScarabeo mentioned in the locked thread: The Waite-Smith was inspired by the Sola Busca deck. Would you call Pamela Colman-Smith a plagiarist for "blatantly copying" the Sola Busca deck?

It's still different enough to read as different mermaid tarot decks. Inspired from Tarot of the Mermaids? Yes? Tracing? Maybe. Blatant plagiarism? No.

As the Sola Busca deck was from 1491 and the Rider-Waite was published in 1909, it is not really the same issue. I am not quite sure why LoScarabeo made that particular comparison. If we wait 400 years, we can likely copy most anything.

I will be interested to see comparisons between the new and old decks though. Somewhere I had said that my initial interest was that the deck had reminded me of old maps and I'm not sure that the new cards have that look; however, it may just be my impression that is off. (In the end I just decided I wasn't a mermaid person.)

Diana

Sigrdrifa

I just received the deck, 3rd version. And even though it's lovely, I wish I had gotten the old version. You can tell which cards are new. The artwork is more crisp and bright, next to it the older ones seem somewhat blurry. Also, on all the original cards the artists name is 'Dame Darcy 2012'. On the new cards it only says 'DD' or 'Dame Darcy'. The new version seems to have a yellow-ish filter over the artwork. No whites like in the first version. (either that or the pictures are too bright).

ETA: I have to do a few readings with the deck to see whether those differences between old and new cards really show.

FaintlyMacabre

I just received the deck, 3rd version. And even though it's lovely, I wish I had gotten the old version. You can tell which cards are new. The artwork is more crisp and bright, next to it the older ones seem somewhat blurry. Also, on all the original cards the artists name is 'Dame Darcy 2012'. On the new cards it only says 'DD' or 'Dame Darcy'. The new version seems to have a yellow-ish filter over the artwork. No whites like in the first version. (either that or the pictures are too bright).

ETA: I have to do a few readings with the deck to see whether those differences between old and new cards really show.

Thanks for posting. From the ones I saw, I felt like they didn't "fit" with the old ones but then I didn't have the old deck either. It had just been my impression of it.

That's too bad. We always hope we get used to things and sometimes it works out. I have a couple of impulsive buys that I think are hopeless for me.

Diana

Sigrdrifa

Well, I had thought of asking whether it is possible to still buy the old version as well, but then I decided I'll give this one a try first. I should just not compare the deck I have with the pictures online of the previous version, and learn to work with the one I have.