Reversals?

swtdr34m3r

I read with reversals, mostly because it adds that extra perspective and greatly enhance the complexity of my readings. For certain oracle decks, I don't read reversals. But other than that I'm for reversals all the way. :)

Oh I agree if you are comfortable with reversals it can add a lot of depth, I just don't connect well with upside down pictures and my intuition just feels off when they come up in a spread for me.
Plus my primary deck, shadowscapes, really doesn't connect well with reversals.

Phebe Griffiths

I also don't read reversals and make sure all the cards are the right way up in the deck before I start.

What I do, however, when giving a reading is that I will always mention the potential 'downside' of any card - just as a cautionary note, and of course, if it is a not-so-good card, I will touch on the 'upside' of that card - the more positive interpretations.

So I do bring 'reversed' meanings into all my readings, but in a 'covering all the bases' kind of way.

Russ1964

Hi all,

I *almost always* use reversals and consider that they add depth to my interpretations. However, it's a complex subject and I by no means consider myself a master of how to interpret reversed cards. There are a multitude of ways in which you can use reversed energies and I use most of them. Part of the trick is knowing which set of meanings you will use - and that is partly suggested by the position within the spread. Sometimes you can determine how you will read reversed cards before drawing cards.

Opposite meaning to upright - I almost never use this approach

Specific reversed meaning of the card - I use this regularly. The reversed meaning of a card isn't always 'negative', just as the reversed meaning of a card that is usually seen as 'negative' isn't always 'positive'. There are often subtle differences in meaning between upright and reversed. Often these are connected in some way to the timing issue of beginning or fading energies. Often upright meanings of cards are very on/off, black/white whereas if we are honest about our lives, many things are far more indistinct, unsaturated colour, all a bit grey. Reversed meanings can add much more grey-scale into a reading for a more realistic view of a situation.

Lesser or reduced energies - this can be very useful, especially if you are considering multiple options. Upright cards can show strength around certain options and reversed cards show lesser energies.

Yes/No - I often use upright and reversed to give yes/no indications

Timing - Card energies can be like a wave of energy and a reversal can indicate energies starting to build or fading away. Again, position in the spread can often indicate which

Returning to the lessons of the previous card - I rarely use this, but occasionally it is of use.

So, if you are looking to simplify things, stay away from reversal LOL. But if you want to use reversals to build a more subtle type of reading then it can open up so much.

Kind regards
Russ

Russ1964

I forgot to add....

Working with reversals is one of the main reasons I prefer to use an electronic method of shuffling and drawing cards. Whilst I trust myself to give a good shuffle to physical cards, the majority of cards will still be in the same orientation relative to each other. For me, that's not good enough. I want a completely random pick every time I draw cards. Electronic systems have allowed me to do that and I'm very happy with the results....

.....even though you can't beat the feel of card in hand :)

Russ

re-pete-a

I forgot to add....

Working with reversals is one of the main reasons I prefer to use an electronic method of shuffling and drawing cards. Whilst I trust myself to give a good shuffle to physical cards, the majority of cards will still be in the same orientation relative to each other. For me, that's not good enough. I want a completely random pick every time I draw cards. Electronic systems have allowed me to do that and I'm very happy with the results....

.....even though you can't beat the feel of card in hand :)

Russ

Russ1964...I do use reversals and go by feel...to maintain the randomness of the cards I half the deck... rotate one half, 1/2 a circle or 180...then rejoin the deck...three times ...

They are in a constant state of randomness...3 cuts and rejoins before every reading...

Then the cards are usually passed to the sitter to shuffle as they wish ...I also get the reader to place the cards on the table in certain positions...but not in that order ...
clients can and often place them all over the place into the positions specified...also they flip cards because they feel that it should be a certain way....I wait till they're done and then do the reading...

Seems to work...it took some amount of letting go to allow another their freedom to use the cards as they wish ...

Trusting in the skill of the unseen to do it's majik....