Colors in the RWS and Golden Dawn tarots (split from the Guidelines thread)

ravenest

ravenest said:
Now that we are back on track ...

I believe these four worlds can also be represented by color itself.
Red- King, Blue - Queen, Yellow - Prince, and princess - Green.

I have a bit more to post on this but .... I'ts time for my appointment to go get my head shaved - more later.

(ED. add more)

(Ahhhh - cool head!)

I have been trying to find a previous post here by me but .... :( It deals with color and the 4 scales, I'll have to write it up at home from notes.

basically it is about a guy (Pavey?) who had a radical color theory, he devided colors up into 4 catagories. those that shout, command, speak and whisper. I deffinatly relate this to the above 4 scales, but I'll have to hunt the research up.

Here it is - http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=15919&highlight=Parvey post 9.

I find this very interesting, as I found in my research, color consultants seemed to be stressing the need for someone to develop a further classification system for color. yet I beleiev the G.D. had already found it.

But where did THEY get it from?

Lillie

ravenest said:
Less erotic.

I know what you mean.
It's rather nice.

Try getting the whole of your body waxed next time.
That's well kinky.

Not your eyebrows though.
That just looks foolish.

Grigori

Scion said:
Bill Heidrick has a very concise explanation of it here, Lillie: http://www.billheidrick.com/tlc1995/tlc1295.htm#iq

Awesome! The last time I read that page I was a bit :confused: Have been studying the Cicero's deck where the colors are illustrated in a simple system on each card, and now that I can play with the pieces, the explanation makes so much more sense.

How much were/are the color scales applied outside of a tarot context? I've seen them referenced basically in respect to the Lotus Wand and evocation, but not much elsewhere. Are the other applications for this system?

brightcrazystar

Grigori said:
Awesome! The last time I read that page I was a bit :confused: Have been studying the Cicero's deck where the colors are illustrated in a simple system on each card, and now that I can play with the pieces, the explanation makes so much more sense.

How much were/are the color scales applied outside of a tarot context? I've seen them referenced basically in respect to the Lotus Wand and evocation, but not much elsewhere. Are the other applications for this system?

The color scale of the Golden Dawn was a second order secret. Most of the order was monochrome besides glimmers of red in the Officers and [primary colors of the Temple] Chiefs on the dias.

When you hit the vault, in all its technicolor glory, it was totally black on the outside, so you go in, and then BOOM! color everywhere. This is because of the likeness of Samekh to the "Prop", Sagittaris as the archer, and Rainbow, and Qoph, Shin, and Tau as the "Bow" firing the arrow into the spectrum of color, i.e. the yetziratic one.

The reason Waite did not use the total colors is because he might not have known them. He was not planning on coloring her orginal images, as they were meant to be colored by the Adept. Even if he did, Pixie is explicit in her note that they are colored badly in even the first printing. We can not expect the colors on the cards are totally suitable just to scale, either.

Many of the images have a background, and those as well as other indications may have "Meaning", but are not strict to scale. Moina was very creative, but there are some other guidances. These may vary, but the ones I learned are as follows:

Any color of proper scale, can be admixed to a PRIMARY color in portions of the Pentagram (1:3, 1:5, 1:8) for supplementary neutral color. Also, any strict primary color can be used on any card whatsoever. This is due to the nature of The Three Mother letters being the key principles of the entire Hebrew Scale. Most of the "deviant" colors on my deck seem to adhere to that, and it is there we start seeing color as being a key to card interrelation.